Disney contemplating smaller regional parks...

Sydney Rain? Those two words dont belong in the same sentence.
I found this too. http://www.bom.gov.au/announcements/media_.../20050831.shtml so it does rain in Sydney. I just wanted to point out I was not just making that sentence up. It may have come accross that I prefer Melbourne, and that was to be expected. I expected such a reply. Anyway, having said that I am not going to complain if the park is buit in Sydney, Alice Springs, Darwin, Perth, Adelaide, the Gold Coast or even Tasmainia. I like Disney, so it doesn't really matter where it is to me. I would travel pretty much anywhere in Oz to go to a Disney park. I can't understand why some seem to be against the decision to build a Disney park at all, even in Melbourne. It's better than none at all, isn't it? But then again, like me, we would all prefer to have the park in our own backyards too, I guess. It would be cool to have a chance to go there as much as possible. Whatever happens, I will support the decision no matter what! I'm all for it. :D

I don't know. For one Disney haven't built a truly great park (outside of the Tokyo resort, which is privately owned and in a market which absolutely adores everything American - more so than the USA) in a good 10-15 years. Disneyland Paris more or less failed and is still struggling today. The problem here is not the design of the park or even directly attendance but rather an inability to profit enough to cope with the debt. Animal Kingdom was a flop. When it opened it struggled to be even a half-day attraction. The concept is great but they failed to create enough attractions to warrant spending long there. Disney's California Adventure was well executed but lacked adequate attractions. Only with hugely discounted tickets and the hasty introduction of a number of new attractions were they able to receive even moderate success. Disney Studios (Paris) was a poorly conceived park which lacks any sort of depth or even quality as a park to warrant a visit of any significant length. Hong Kong Disneyland was built on the cheap and simply lacks enough to be a significant drawcard. They don't seem to have a history in recent years of doing this properly. There's every reason to be doubtful or even against the idea of a Disney park here.

Now we're looking at needing over 6.6 million guests a year. That's more than the combined attendance of all of Australia's existing parks. No bank or investor is going to hop aboard this ship.
Hmm I just don't think this Disney thing is going to happen in Australia. There is no way that they would be able to raise attendance numbers that high. If a Disney park was to thrive it would have to be placed in an area that already brings in large numbers of tourists. Melnourne just seems to lack what Gold Goast and Sydney have.

I personally am not too fussed whether they bring a Disneyland to Australia or not. I mean yeah, it would be pretty cool, and the brand alone would be sure to boost international tourism. But I really don't think it will happen. But I would much rather a Six Flags park or something, a company synonymous with big thrills as opposed to family fun. Just my opinion though. In all reality though, am just DREAMING of a decent coaster at Dreamworld...lol :P