Dazzleland

zoggyno1

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I have some photo's taken on my one and only visit to the park in about 1990. Other than dodgems, and of course, the main drawcard Zamperla powered coaster figure-8'ing over the huge drop below, I think there were only a small handful of kiddy rides. Photo's and information can be found on Paul's Defunction.net at http://www.defunction.net/?page=parks&park...park=Dazzleland (info) http://www.defunction.net/?page=gallery&ga...y=view&galid=22 (photo's)

As for Glenelg's Magic Mountain, I never did go there, only drove past, fantastic location (incidentally, this was the first site of Luna Park Syd, before it completely relocated to Sydney Harbour after the bridge construction) This comprehensive ABC article on it provides a good 'farewell tribute' http://www.abc.net.au/adelaide/stories/s1156154.htm Also some information on defunction.net too.

I have been to both back when I lived in SA. I remember dazzeland having a Helicopter ride, an airplane ride, dodgems, a big playground and mexican mini golf as well as the jazz junction. The park was pretty good from memory, but I was 5 years old then so even a maccas playland impressed me :P As for magic mountain, There were the 4 big watersildes, a suspended cycle monorail, mini golf, an arcade, bumper boats and a carousel. The waterslides were definitley the best thing there. The place looked nice from the outside, but inside the mountain where all the waterslides were it was just hollow and was like a warehouse with a big zig zag ramp running up through it. The waterslides all snaked their way down throughthe inside of the mountain with the odd section outside the mountain and were open flumes so it wasnt very dark inside. I remeber the slides actually having advertising on them on perspex panels that were attached to some sections of the slide. One cool thing was a u turn that was cantilievered outside the mountain over the beach, it seemed very precarious up there like that.

Dazzeland was the best that adelaide ever had.. sure it was targeted at children.. it was the top 2 floors of the myer centre.. the bottom floor being mainly an arcade but also had a carousel.. water gun thing where you would shoot the water guns at things and stuff would happen.. i also remember a musical fountain.. i think that it was on this floor too.. but the top floor was where all the major rides were.. jazz junction.. the dodgems.. the giant indoor playground.. a plane ride.. helicopter ride.. a train that weeved around the top floor.. also went through a spooky tunnel (well it was for me when i was younger!) but one of the best thing about dazzeland was the themeing it was great!! the top two floors of the myer centre always seemed like a totally different place.. with people riding fish hanging from the roof.. rabbits with glowing red eyes popping their head out of the roof and freaky dark trees.. i think their faces moved.. im not to sure about that though. But realistally.. a place like dazzeland could never last in adelaide.. they started off with a token type system where a ride would cost so many tokens.. and then near when it closed i think it was like $5 or $10 for unlimited rides on any ride in a day.. they had arm bands so they could keep track of you. if only the we still had dazzle land.. some time last year they repainted the whole inside of the myer centre.. sad.. its now just painted different shades of white and all the colour is gone.. its now just another generic mall.. with the top two floors that were once dazzleland are now a gym.

• 1 year later...

Wow, Dazzleland is now a gym? :o That sucks, Top's, which is the Brisbane equivalent of Dazzleland is now Cinemas. However there is a small Replay arcade next to the cinema called "Tops", it's 2 levels, arcade games on the bottom and pool tables and a small internet cafe type thing on the top level. It isn't much but at least it's something.

Edited by Bubco

• 1 year later...

I hate to bring up old topics, but today I went up to the top storey of the myer centre, and there was an old shop that was boarded up, but at the top it said "dazzeland coffee shop". sure, its meaningless, but I was pretty interested to see it, seeing as dazzeland has been closed for years and they still have that sign up.

• 2 months later...

bringing up this topic again, as i found more traces of the late dazzeland recently. on the highest floor that is open to the public there is a dazzeland sign when you exit myer, which i think could have been easily removed but instead its left there, confusing anyone. also, a musical fountain was mentioned earlier in the topic, and i found the very one last week.. it has no water in it, so my friends and it sat in it, and inside there was a little note stuck in there saying 'the secret fountain' so, i'm just assuming its the same one. it's ridiculous though, dazzeland has been closed for what, 10 years or so? and they've still got signs up and such, they could have put in a a few more shops or something worth while instead of this still hanging around: dazzeland.png god adelaide is slack.

^ahh, good point. but still, instead of having everything fenced off and looking ugly, just do SOMETHING with the area. and the musical fountain is on the top floor that is open to the public, right near outside myer. well, i'm assuming its the musical fountain.

Edited by revolutionx

• 11 months later...
  • 11 months later...
Yes I have some photo's taken on my one and only visit to the park in about 1990. Other than dodgems, and of course, the main drawcard Zamperla powered coaster figure-8'ing over the huge drop below, I think there were only a small handful of kiddy rides. Photo's and information can be found on Paul's Defunction.net at http://www.defunction.net/?page=parks&...park=Dazzleland (info) http://www.defunction.net/?page=gallery&am...ew&galid=22 (photo's)
I know it's been a while ago but the links are broken.

Ahh, this takes me back. The links are dead because I decided to killed the site (and it's brother) off. What I can't believe that Defunction was from 2005 though, damn has time flown. Sure doesn't feel like it has been that long since I ran those sites. Thanks for posting the Wayback links, what a great trip that was!

Ahh, this takes me back. The links are dead because I decided to killed the site (and it's brother) off. What I can't believe that Defunction was from 2005 though, damn has time flown. Sure doesn't feel like it has been that long since I ran those sites. Thanks for posting the Wayback links, what a great trip that was!
Although the links on the archived page are dead too!

• 2 years later...