Employee of the Month/Year Awards

Flasher

I have decided to start a new thread (not sure if this subject has been discussed before), because I think most people would agree that the threads of late have gone off topic and are mostly a waste of time to read. :mad: Whether you loved working at Wonderland or loathed it, the best part of the job were the social gatherings and the fact that every 3 months (4 to 5 in later years), you forgot about all of your issues with Management for one night and went to the "Employee of the Month" Awards during the year and the finale "Employee of the Year Awards/Christmas Party in December. For the uninitiated, all employees were able to be nominated by their co-workers/Supervisors for the Employee of the Month Award. During these award nights, a winner for each month was announced and would be presented with a plaque and some cheap Wonderland merchandise. At the Employee of the Year/Christmas Party, all of the 12 Monthly winners throughout the year would go into the draw to win a trip to.......you guessed it, Sunway - Wonderland's sister park. Trick was to take the trip before Management forgot about it! :D All of the awards stuff aside, it was basically a piss up where Management called you 'mate' and told you how great you were, and would then proceed to write you up a week later. I believe that these nights were the death knell for many marriages. ;) For mine, the best party was Christmas 2001 which was held up at Evan Theatre in Panthers, the first time that it was held off-site. The night was a Red Faces theme and all departments had to perform a routine which was judged by Mr MC himself, Micheal Croaker. A group of guys from Maintenance won the night with their Striptease performance. Does anyone remember this night? :)

I would have to agree 100% with Flasher, that was without doubt the best employee function Wonderland held, although yes the maintenance performance was recognised as the winner, after the performances and particularily the pathetic one by the parks entertainment division, Mr Croaker and management stated "there is no winner, this was not a competition it was just entertainment" Regardless, it was a fantastic night, always spoken about and never repeated.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree too, the employee parties were the highlight of our time at Wonderland... Who can forget the infamous karaoke night, where a employee sang a song called "Take this job and shove it". Or, the numerous Social Club expeditions on the Nepean Belle or at the Hydro Majestic. But nothing compared to the Panthers' Christmas Parties. For some reason, the 2003 Christmas Party in the City lacked the same atmosphere. Was great while it lasted.

The christmas 2001 party at panthers was my only christmas party with Wonderland :cough: Supervisor was a bitch :cough:, but it was probably one of the best christmas staff parties i have been to. the red faces acts were quite funny, and the only problem with being underage was if you didnt have another staff member who was legal to get the drinks for you... lol. That was my job for a bit of that night as my GF at the time was underage as well. we got pretty tanked, ended up staying at Panthers Motel, and woke up with 20 minutes before we were due to start at the park and screamed frantically down the M4. For those who remember the parties following that one, the Parks photographer - Brendan Fox - was on hand doing photography for a lot of the external events. Brendan now runs a Camera and Photoprocessing store, I work for him, and he lives out the back and pays me rent! lol. so anyway back on with the story... So maintenance did a strip tease Retail did a revamped version of "my guy (my god)" from Sister Act, with the Retail supervisor playing the part of god Entertainment - well.... they couldnt act even when they were being paid, how did they have any chance of winning??? - the exception being the Magic Movers who worked for Tony Laffan. I forget what operations did, but i think it involved the shrek costume food - ??? park services???

The 2001 Xmas party certainly was the best, it was all down hill after that one. I remember it well, but can't for the life of me remember what the Entertainment department did that you guys are referring to?? I remember that Tech Services did the trenchcoat dance with "SMILES" on thier helmets, Food & Bev did a weak attempt at the chicken dance where it got so bad that the audience applauded someone who yelled out "Get off the stage!", Retail did the "My guy/God" and Sales & Marketing did a sketch where it had the marketing director in the original Actionman costume (the blue one) representing Wonderland and had other team members dressed to represent other tourist attractions(eg.Batman for Movie World), and Wonderland would beat all the opposition, the ending of which had a short appearance by Shrek. This Xmas party actually wasn't a "Red Faces" theme, people were just asked to perform an act. If I recall the "Red Faces" themed party was earlier that year in the Woolshed which had Joanne and Steven (from HR) and StephenG as the judges. The acts I remember were, an ABBA mime act by two ride operators(?), Sales & Marketing did the Wiggles "Wake up Jeff", Security did the hakka led by Tyron, and Retail did an excellent sketch about a day at Wonderland which ended with a little joke about certain managers smoking addictions/levels. One thing I remember about it was that Steven (who had just started in HR) made a crack about kiwis and the sheep being around the back, I don't think the knew at the time that the CEO sitting right next to him was from NZ!

• 3 weeks later...

That Chrissie party was quite cool - everyone got absolutely trashed though...wasn't that the party where a couple got very 'intimate' on the dance floor??!! I can't even remember what we did for the Operations sketch - I remember I had to wear the new ops uniform at the time and that it was insanely hopeless compared to some of the others - none of us actually wanted to participate! Natalie Cox fainted in the Blinky Bill costume as she got off stage though - I remember that much! The Employee of the month with the red faces type theme that was held in the Woolshed before that was hilarious as well. I have that on video actually...should scrape it up. The Ops Supervisors did an awesome rendition of the Village People -very funny stuff! :D Anyone remember the 'Smiles' launch at old HB? Didn't security have a field day that night with the amount of couples that 'enjoyed themselves' in different areas around the land??!!! :o

• 2 years later...

The Employee of the Month parties were always a treat for getting absolutely hammered and either chucking a sicky the next day (or the same day as it would often turn out), or making it into work still of your nut with no sleep under your belt. I for one remember many a long night (usually Thursdays) and the maintenance department looking somewhat like an ER ward on Friday mornings. :P