Kiddy Parks

taronga

Depends which parks you’re comparing our rides to. I mean, our thrill rides would realistically perform exceptionally well in just about any market. Look at some of the thrill rides that are at our parks: Giant Drop, Lethal Weapon, Tower of Terror. These aren't kiddy thrills; these are big thrill rides, no matter what market they are placed in. Lethal Weapon's twin at Gueaga Lake, Serial Thriller/Thunderhawk, is regarded well against the best coasters in the world by everyone except the enthusiast community. Giant Drop is certainly no "kiddy thrill" either. IMHO, it’s only the freakishly big parks (think the big Six Flags Parks and Cedar Point), which really beat our thrill rides. Still, considering one of those big parks pull in an averaged out 16,000 people per day (presuming 6 month operation), and our big thrill parks (MW and DW) teamed up struggle to average 7,000 a day between them, I think our parks do a good job of even having competitive thrills.

I was mainly refering to ride technology - compare our best coasters (for example) to those in foreign parks. Theirs are much higher and have more elements & inversions (eg. looping wooden coaster, drop coasters, giga coasters etc.), all we have are a few good coasters that are fairly plain in comparison. (no offence intended) I also consider flat rides on the ground weak compared to rides that sit up 300m in the air, as i have been on the rides @ Statosphere tower.

I would call the Stratosphere Tower an exception to the rule. The Surge tower on top of it ( or what ever it's called ) can be found in many theme parks across the USA. They have the population to warrent these rides where as Australia does not. Lets face it, if you take away where the roller coaster on the tower is situated, it's hardy a thrilling ride to go around & around in a circle IMHO

Lets face it, if you take away where the roller coaster on the tower is situated, it's hardy a thrilling ride to go around & around in a circle IMHO
That's my exact point though, you'll never find something with that type of thrill factor here in Australia - unless you find someone like a foreign investor to build it because no-one else will. :rolleyes: But this is the sort of stuff Australia needs & is lacking badly. :(

Hey TARONGA....Point taken however, I know of no other city in the world that has a roller coaster on top of a building like this & that's my point. It's a place unto itself so you can't really compare it to anywhere else. As far as quality of our thrill rides here, we certainly have a few such as the TOT & Giant Drop which were mentioned before, there's also Lethal Weapon & IMHO Scooby Doo & Wild Wild West are pretty exciting & expensive attractions. I also think the Claw is a pretty thrilling ride too. I guess it's just a matter of perception. With regards to someone financing these rides that you want, well maybe if we had the population to support them, they would. :)

With regards to someone financing these rides that you want, well maybe if we had the population to support them, they would. :)
We do have enough of population but no-one is willing to give us (the riders/guests) the type of attractions we want see or experience which forces us to goto foreign parks for the better thrills. :mad: I'm not saying that we need pointless towers or anything like that... but one of these parks needs to spend money to make a top notch ride instead of wasting capitol on shows ala Wonderland style. Look at Taronga Zoo for example: they spent something like $40m on redeveloping an existing area to make something new and really good, using money from sponsors and private investment. Why can't other parks do something similar to make new attractions? :(

Diannasaurus : Your wrong its not funded soley by government that's what corporate and private sponsorships are for, & its no different from any other park, also if you know history so well you'd know that the zoo was moved from Centennial Park to Mosman. The ZOO is the THEME of the PARK: = theme park