Scooby-Doo Spooky Coaster

Richard

15 members have voted

1. 1. Scooby-Doo Spooky Coaster

• Great!
    • Okay
    • Ridden Better

Yes. This (relatively) unawaited coaster has finally opened at Warner Bros. Movie World. I was given the chance to ride it last Saturday, at a press day, and to be frank, it was the best ride I've ever been on. Just because it isn't a thrill ride, doesn't mean it can't be good. At around 5:30 long, the ride has length, EXCELLENT theming and some amazing effects that simply can't be beat. Kudos to Movie World for this fantastic ride, and if you haven't checked it out yet, or are a bit bored one sunday, head down (or up) to Movie World for this fantastic ride. You won't regret it. And here's to Movie World's bright future with B&M's, CCI's and Intamins galore!

the lights make it feel like night time anyway. And the whole ride is indoors.
Its funny you should say that. When I found out I was going to be riding at night I got a bit excited untill it dawned on me that the whole ride is indoors, so it probably won't matter. Still, should be good to see all the lighting effects and the outdoor spooky themeing in the dark. Also, just on the cars, they'll probably be parked somewhere near administration or security.

Ok, I went out to Movieworld last night, and tried Scooby Doo Spooky Coaster for the first time, and… wow! What can I say; this IS the best ride of any type on the Gold Coast Starting by looking at the queue area, easily the best themed in Australia. The strange thing is, that the main room in which the queue is based, is oddly pleasant to be in, especially with the video playing. It is generally interesting, and almost makes you want to stay in there and watch the whole thing. This isn’t really much of an option with the capacity of this ride, as the queue moves incredibly fast. The first time I went on it, there were probably 300 people in front of me. If I was going on Cyclone, and there were 300 people in front of me, I'd be stuck queuing for probably the better part of an hour (on a good day). More over, I would be, for quite some time while queuing, be in direct sunshine, and would be driven quite insane by constantly repeating sound effects. Scooby Doo on the other hand, got through 300 people in less then 15 mins, but because the queue is always moving, the time flew by, and it felt like I was queued for 5 mins tops. Once you’re on, the haunted house part of the ride begins. While I haven't been on a haunted house for some time, I'm as good as certain that very few would match the quality of Scooby Doo. Never mind the thrilling dives, which the haunted House section of Scooby Doo impossibly abounds. At the end of the haunted house, you come to the end of the track. Even if you know the vertical lift is on the way, its a surprise to see how it handles; even though you've been told that the lift leans to the side while going up, its a shock (to say the least) to find out the angle at which the elevator tilts. Scooby Doo contains one of the greatest oddities that you'll ever find on a coaster: Its that 2 cars are sent out within a short time of each other, and the car that is sent out second, comes into the station first. This was made apparent when I turned around on my first ride to wave to people in the car behind as I left the station. When the ride had finished, I exited to find those people whom I had turned around to wave too greeting me in the station. At first it made no sense, but on subsequent trips, the reason for this became apparent: As the first car enters the lift, it waits briefly for a second car to join it in its ascent to the top. Once there, the second car leaves the elevator backwards, with the first car following soon after. What’s this I hear you say? That’s right, backwards, down a fairly sizeable hill, the car plummets backwards into darkness, before it crests a hill, is stopped and turned around. While the car is stopped, it becomes apparent that the room that your now in is actually quite big, and other cars are making there way around a semi-visible track. As you notice the theme music to Scooby Doo in the background, and quite a few laser beams, your car is shot forward, and here you go through the 'normal' wild mouse coaster layout. Once you've left a series of switchbacks, you come to what is in my opinion, the best part of the ride, a very fast, very steep, very tall dip, which if your not paying attention, will give you quite a shock, as the amount of 'air' you get is insane to say the least. As you round a bend, it becomes painfully clear that the ride is almost over, but not before a quick dip under a wall, and a tight turn. When exiting, you walk out a dimly lit hall, reminiscent of the queue area. Upon exiting, you discover that your not too far from the entrance, and promptly run back to ride again. No other ride at Movieworld (or quite possibly on the Gold Coast) is as re-rideable. I get the feeling that Lethal Weapon and Wild Wild West are going to be near walk on for a long time, now that Scooby Doo Spooky Coaster, quite possibly the best ride in Australia, is open.

It sounds great! Can't wait to ride it and I'm glad that Movieworld put it in. (all it needs now is some decent flat rides) :D Does anyone have or know where I can find pictures from the inside of ScoobyDoo. I doubt that there are any but some one might have some? Anyway thanks Shaun

I might be able to help you out with that, I took some photos of the station with a camera that cost about $4 (so priced because someone had taken it out of the bag and took a photo with it :) ) If it works, I might have a photo of that which I could scan and send to ya. I doubt I'll put it on the website, I'm sure that there is some copyright issues there :shock:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I dared take my camera on the ride for one ride, turned off the flash, and all but one or two were duds. This one is on the turntable, just after you turn around (before it started moving again). sd-lasers.jpg If anything, it just gives you a bit of an idea of the lasers, and a pretty poor example of what they do. Although this particular laser effect is my second favorite on the whole ride, photos don't do it any justice (when riding, it looks like a vortex that you're about to head into - you can't see the track). If Movie World asks, I didn't take this photo. :twisted: I want to get some of the station, as IMO, it is the best themed part of the ride. It is just that I've seen the stares that others (myself included), give to people who blind the whole queue with their flash.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi, Scooby Doo IS a great ride & there's no denying that. The theming is great & I loved the " spooky" part of the ride especially. Really thought, after the first drop I found it to be just another wild mouse type ride in the dark. The lasers were cool but I felt it should have been themed ALL the way through the experience. Imagine how much better it would have been if the rest of the ride was through passageways etc & not just as it is. I did feel the last small drop was an especially nice touch & wasn't expected. :D

It'd be interesting to see the roller coaster portion themed like the haunted version, but as far as I'm concerned, the lazars are too cool for school (been along time since I've said that). True the themeing through the roller coaster portion of the ride is a bit sketchy, but from memory it has something to do with being "At the Mersey of the spirits". While on the subject of Scooby Doo themeing, is it just me or is it incredibly gruesome? The whole way along the track there's skeletons which look like they've still got flesh on them. Add to that the fake blood that covers much of the hallway, add to that all the skulls that are lying around (particularly near the lift). Not a criticism, I like the gruesome themeing, I was just wondering if anyone else had noticed?

Yeah, gruesome to say the least. :) Though, authentically gruesome, which at least is better than badly done gruesome (see Lune Park's Ghost Train, but that's old, so I don't really mind the fantasticly old-fashioned tackiness about it). That ghoul who's in the 'torture chamber section', after the first dip, and all that theming is perhaps my favorite of the ride. Though, I'd have loved to have seen some of the cool stuff in the movie to have been translated to the ride (there's gotta be a way to do that stopping in front of the swords easily). Today, they had most of the laser effects turned off, which was a pity. I just hope it was a typical March 'low attendance = minimal operations' day, and that they've not already given up on the ride (most other rides were running at full or near full potential). As for the actual ride, it started off reasonably smooth, then went into a bit of a bumpy spell as it worked itself out. It now seems to be out of that, and into relatively smooth running. It's still not as smooth as Eureka Mountain, but it is a bit more bearable. That last dip into the brake run still kills your back (it seems to be too steep for the size of it - 3m - which is odd, because it is a standard section on all Mack mice, and you'd think they'd have made it a bit more easy-going). I'd have loved for them to have themed the actual coaster properly, with rooms, effects. More that just lasers, which to me, is only related to Scooby Doo, as some trip or something caused by the hallucinogenics that the gang takes. :P