Movement @ the station

ripcurlboy_81

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

G'day, Observed what's left of the Space Probe (at least what can be seen from the road) being craned down today around midday. Bought some Maccas and decided to have lunch up next to Minchinbury Reserviour, then saw what looks like might be the gondolas off Zodiac being loaded into containers. There were six 40ft containers in this otherwise cleared area of paddock slightly west of the water tower, from memory 2 fairly new looking red ones had the words "Hamburg" or "Humburg" & "SUD" on the sides. There were two white vehicles there, a Tarago and I think a Corolla. Upon the paddock are what looks like old run down stables, inside one I could see parts of various rides. Ok, I should have taken the camera... especially as there were technicians working high up on the nearby comms tower.... perhaps i might return there tomorrow and see if the techs are still there - the view over the park from the top of the tower would likely be pretty good, perhaps i could send my trusty digital up there with one of them ? For those who would like to have a peek, access to the water tower area is open but the paddock has a typical farm gate / fence (ie a boundary !)

The rides may still be owned buy Sunway. Maybe they are going to Asia for there new park. They may have had a deal with ING to leave them there till they were ready and just payed a lease on the land until such time as they were ready to move them. What happen to the member that posted the pics up of the park being demolished? is the site with the pics up and running yet? I seen as i was driving past today they were knocking down the line up covers for the Snowy River Rampage. I still wouldnt mind taking a Helicopter ride over the top to have a look.

Edited by Shauno

There is a lot of talk about selling the probe off as scrap....surely theyd try and sell it before they did that...i mean after all it was in reasonable working condition, and would be worth more even to sell off cheap then to scrap.
Don't you think they would have done that already? After all it has been 18 months since the park closed. If they were going to sell the rides it would have been done a long time ago. My guess, seeing as there are shipping containers in the area is that the rides are going to KL and one of Sunway's parks there. "The Bus is now leaving for Container Terminal, South Australia"

What I meant Bussy was that scrapping the ride would be like the last, of last resorts. As with any business its rare to just throw things to the scrap heap when there is money to be made. Obviously a working ride in reasonable condition is worth a lot more then its weight in scrap steel. 18 months isnt really all that long...ive worked at places that have had things sitting around for years all to be used for spare parts for in-house production or to sell them off for a couple of hundred bucks to the few interested people per year that want them. There would be a buyer sooner or later so to have it sitting in storage is probably the most likely solution IF there was no buyer at this point in time. However as Bussy said, its likely that it already been planned to be shipped to a Sunway park

Edited by dr_teeth

By the way, anyone heard anything of "ronald_104" and his infamous planned "expedition" ???
Being a close mate of 'ronald_104' (aka Ronald Littum), I am here to report that yes, Ronald expedition, was a success, and he managed to snap some very good pictures. Its a pity none of you people will ever get to see them, because you were so rude to him and he was banned. You all have some great connections don't you, with your little camera-phone pics taken 300m from the grounds! It looks like Ronald had the last laugh. That is all.

Why should i be punished? Just because these guys didn't think Ronald had much of a chance. I probably say also the be very little security or none security left in the park Cause most of everything is gone and Nothing to really protect. Beside construction workers
look, ronald aint coming back thanx to you guys, who got his IP address banned. so basically, you're 'punishing' (????????) yourselves. None of you believed that Ronald would actually go on this expedition, and well, he did. And you have missed out on some great pics that he took of the SPACE PROBE and BUSH BEAST when still standing. Just coz Ronald wasn't a member of your little know-it-all team of geeks, doesnt mean you shouldnt believe him. This forum isnt just about you people you know. Sure, ban me for saying that. That just proves that you are over protective of your precious little forum that forms your social life. Edited by saget_104

Teeth, when a piece of machinery sits around for 18 months not being used they tend to deteriorate in working condition and eventually get to a stage where they are worth ore as scrap than as the machine there originally were. Saget there is no need to have a hissy fit about it. How did we get him banned? From memory it was his stupid comments that got him banned. Richard doesn't just ban people for the sake of it you know. "The Bus is now leaving for Ronald E Gray Reserve, Victoria"

A quick update on the parks status. I drove past there on the weekend and the only things that are visible are the SkyRider towers and the Beach Tower. Everything else in the park has been raised except for a few small buildings. "The Bus is now leaving for Numjikompita Radio Communications Tower, South Australia"

It had not sat there the whole time, one weekday morning around march when i was on the way to work i saw SP running. I would say weeks before they cut the power off. (well i assume after being stuck in melbourne for six months) so it was not that long since it last run, and being mainly electrical components it would run no problem. Plus if it was scrap they would have just cut the thing down, instead of dissassembling it with a crane carefully.

I think it's extremely obvious to say that if they were taking down the Probe piece by piece, that it would be making a new appearance somewhere else. And I highly doubt that if they were planning to sell it, which they were, they wouldn't have left it to detiriorate. Not many parks find a "rustic feel" a good quality. Also, I would've presumed that when ING signed the contract to the land there most probably would've been conditions outlining that on site attractions may stay on the premises until an "X" amount of time. However, the biggest problem should be if we actually see the ride re-appearing, whether that be in a CEO's backyard or a theme park is yet to be seen. I don't know who this ronald guy is, but judging by the posts made in this thread, he really did have the last laugh. He has photos, and all you guys have is "ohh, come on, please?"

Yeah bussy your talking about a multi million dollar piece of equipment vs something that would probably fetch less then 100 G in scrap. Wether in fair or good condition its still worth more as is and not as downgrade RHS at metal-land. Besides a lot of other rides have sat around longer then SP has. EG Cyclone AKA Big Dipper that was not operational for over FIVE years.

It had not sat there the whole time, one weekday morning around march when i was on the way to work i saw SP running. I would say weeks before they cut the power off. (well i assume after being stuck in melbourne for six months) so it was not that long since it last run, and being mainly electrical components it would run no problem. Plus if it was scrap they would have just cut the thing down, instead of dissassembling it with a crane carefully.
Well they must have taken a big arse generator on site to enable it to run last March because power was shut down in December. And if it did run in March it would have been a good four months since it last ran and let me tell you four months without lubrication to the rails and especially through summer, running it up and down is not so simple. If it was to be scrap the method of dissassembly would not be that different to if it was to be re-installed, just cutting it down is not an option, even where there are bolted joints you would still undo the bolts as opposed to cutting there.

• 2 weeks later...

Drove past what was Wonderland this morning. The Skyrider towers have been pulled down and as I drove along Walgrove Road a bulldozer was demolishing 'The Beach' and the waterslides. They have also removed a lot of trees and you can now see ino the park; there are just piles and piles of demoished materials.