Shrek 4D at Movieworld

dreamworld_rulz

This is from nine MSN. Movie World goes into sensory ogre-load 16:40 AEST Fri Sep 16 2005 AAP Warner Bros Movie World on the Gold Coast is banking on the popularity of a lovable green ogre to underpin its $65 million expansion plans. Opening on Saturday, Shrek 4D Adventure is described as a cutting edge multi-sensory attraction that bridges the narrative between the Oscar-winning movie Shrek and its sequel Shrek 2. Donning specially-created "OgreVision" glasses, guests will be transported into a 3D film with surprising sensory elements. In December another attraction based on the Superman brand will open, while the Australian Outback Spectacular dinner theatre attraction will be launched next year. Warner Village Theme Parks' chief executive John Menzies said the new attractions represent a $65 million expansion of the theme park. ©AAP 2005

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I went on it today and despite my initial complaints, I actually really enjoyed it (enough to make me go on it twice - though also possibly because Movie World today was the BUSIEST I have ever seen it in my entire life. Wild West Fall's queue stretched almost back to the initial entry point!) Anyway - to Shrek. I thought the preshow part was extremely well done - the theming was excellent and in general it was almost as entertaining as the movie itself with plenty of reasonably good jokes. The movie itself looked extremely good and was very entertaining - and the effects - eg. air, water, seat-movement - all worked quite well with the movie and the audience seemed to love it. I definately recommend this attraction - and from visiting both parks today Movie World currently has the uperhand over Dreamworld and will continue to do so for quite a while. As I said Movie World (and Dreamworld too) was packed beyond anything I have seen before and with the addition of Superman, this park is no doubt going to be doing extremely well financially. Favourite line from Shrek pre-show: "Welcome to Duloc, the happiest totalitarian dictatorship on Earth!"

That's great to hear.I never go to the parks during the school hols as it's just a waste of time and money.It's ok if you live there.Anyways my sister and i will be visiting DW & MW next Saturday 9th and Sunday 10th.Can't wait to see Shrek 4D.Also can't wait to visit the BB house.Thanks for the report and i'm glad you enjoyed it.

Edited by dreamworld_rulz

Finally had the chance to check it out today, and was quite impressed. Those who have been to universal will be happy to see the 3 little pigs pre-show has come across with the show too, so we're not missing anything there. All the effects worked well, and I'm happy to say those weird disco lights from Marvin are still used. Really solid attraction, and should serve the park well. Just on the park; As with all the parks this holiday, it had a huge crowd today, with 45min waits for both Scooby and Wild West (though two train op on LW kept it down to a one or two train wait there), and a sizeable crowd outside Sherek all day, and even though there are 3 shows an hour there was about a 20 min "queue" to see the show. Police Acedemy was pretty much on the hour all day, and Looney Tunes Musical Revue even had a performance today. Nice to see the big crowds roll in to support the parks.

Wow I was really surprised by how good Shrek 4D was. I got the chance to finally visit Movieworld last wednesday (first time). I have got to say Shrek 4D was one of my favourites at the park. The interaction with the audience and the excitement and thrills of the special effects was awesome providing for an entertaining and unexpected show. It becomes hard to distinguish the movie from real life as your are taken into the fantasy world that is Shrek 4D. I was expecting another cheap rip off to the original Shrek with lame 3D effects and rocking seats but this was much more. Even the preshow was good. A little too long but otherwise fine.

Thanks for the photos Adam, nice to finally see what this attraction looks like from the front. The theming/signage seems fine (very basic and not as good as Marvin) but appears to do the job. From what someone else said, I had the impression that there was no signage at the front whatsoever. It's certainly better than nothing. I also noticed they patched up the themed 'crack' that was put in the Roxy's awning for Marvin seemlessly