RTC Running Slow

scott

My dad's just got an old pc from the Griffith UNI which apparentlly has alot of memory for a DNA sequencer program that he runs on it. Anyway I installed RCT3 not long ago and it was running pretty slow even though the pc is meant to be fast. The computer has 1.00 GB of RAM and is 2.00 GHZ. I know s**t all about computers and wasn't sure whether this isn't fast enough for RCT3 or if I just did something wrong while installing it.

Indeed it is a very poorly written game, much like the Microsoft Windows series is a very poorly written OS. They need to write a lot more effective patches, or perhaps to release a whole new version of the game which fixes the immense bugs and crappiness that the game has in it. And 2GHz is a fair bit of processing power that the computer has (for instance, this machine has 1.09 GHz, RCT3 is the only game it has trouble running), if it can't run good off that machine, it really does tell how poorly the game was written. 1 GB of RAM is a decent amount, I'd test it out on a PC with more RAM, and see how it copes, the RAM could be the major issue.

1.09 GHz is rather crap, i have a 3 GHz Dell and it take a bit of scenery to lag that up (AKA a lot!!!)
Yes but you see, you probably have an Intel chip. With Intel's, they generally advertise that they have a huge clock speed (aka 3 GHz) but do not mention anything else. I don't know the specifics, but if I got out one of my old computer magazines, I could explain to you that AMD's (I have an AMD) generally have more well rounded figures (they have a better average of bus speed, clock speed and all that other jargon). That is why most computer...experts that I know have AMD's. So, despite the large figures that Intel stamp onto their chip boxes, they do not run that much faster then an AMD, that have a much much lower clock speed. It's not all about processing speed either, with Dell, I've noticed that they put rather large looking Intel processors in their PC's, and then skimp out on the RAM & video cards. So in a Dell, a large looking processor is doing all the work, whereas a computer brought from a computer shop (I chose the parts myself :)) has a video card, RAM & processor working simulataneously together to acheive a much better result. I guess it's the same as if you brought a car and put a huge engine in it, but it had no gearbox. The engine would be doing all the work, but there's no gearbox, it would be totally crappy. See what I mean? Having said all this, I do suspect that your computer could run better than mine, because this is a pretty old machine. The point is though, that just because the processor has a big number on the front of it, don't suspect that it makes your computer an absolute beast (And Dell computers are a rip-off).

You're basically dead on there Jimbo. The general public, the very, "very" general public see either the "processor" and "memory" as the two key things to a good computer. Thing is, few of the general public know that you have "random access memory" and you have hard drive space. So when corporations like Dell take that sort of thin into proportion, all they need to do is slap on some big numbers and they're set. But then when your video card, RAM clock speed, hard drive latency and CPU's bus side frequency are all much slower seeming the entire computer budget was spent on this huge CPU, in the end your entier computer becomes laggy, creating kind of a ironic kick for consumers. Again, like Jim here said, go make your own PC, or if your not that tech savvy, get a place like "The Disc Shop" or "GameDude" do make one for you. I bought all my parts just on a year ago now, and because I chose my parts carefully, no lag, still top of the line (almost) and it still kicks arse at rendering videos.