Who would you like to see involved with thunderbolt revamp?

zztopless

We should see if Meshio wants another go at it :rolleyes: Seriously, I think Arrow would do a pretty good job with Thunderbolt, I'd prefer to have arrow do a new version then say Vekoma, Morgan or Kumback. I trust arrow, and I still believe that their rides are not rough. Personally, I wanna see B&M or Intamin have their own full ride rather then doing a half job on Thunder Bolt.

As much as we would all like to see the ThunderBolt stay, I think that the park could do a nicer coaster with the land if the bolt was removed comlpetly. Just look at Joker Jinks in the states. A ride like that within view of the road would be pretty popular. But if the ride was a revamp, then I would hope to see what B&M could do with this challange. I know that they make great new coasters, but have they ever tried a revamp. I don't know of any. Either them or Arrow. But in the end it would be all good.

My thinking, is that the ride is not to be modified in any great ways. Dreamworld isn't out to take a bit of a ride, then add wacky new, non-Thunderbolt elements. To me, they're looking at retracking it, to remove the bad transitions, and make it smoother, make it a lot more exciting in the second half, as well as replacing the trains on it. They're not after a new coaster, disguised as Thunderbolt by keeping say the lift hill. In that sense, any modifications would be pointless. A new coaster these days costs roughly $16m. My guess, and keep in mind this is only my guess, is that Dreamworld wants to spend somewhere around $10m on Thunderbolt. I'd love to see Arrow take on this task. I've always had a spot for Arrow, and I know we would be guarenteed a quality end product, something which I don't think Vekoma would be able to provide (and they've said that they're concentrating on purely the SLC and Boomerang rides, since their bankrupcy). We can't, and won't see a company like B&M take on a project like this. Their ride technology is totally different from the kind that Thunderbolt uses. Most obviously are the track and train differences between the two. It would be uneconomical for such a company to take on this sort of task. Maybe build a ride from scratch, but not a retracking job.

• 2 weeks later...

As much as I hate to say it I think Dreamworld should just scrap it and build a new coaster. It would cost to much to fix it up when they could just build a new coaster that would be 10 times better than it, and think of all the publicity dreamworld could get if it got a brand new coaster Waste of money fixing it :( Thanks Shaun

Gotta side with Shaun. While the ride still can be a bit of fun, and I probably would miss it, I think its time is up. Its not just the track. The supports and one of the trains are collectively in hideous condition. Anyone whose been on Cyclone and looked at thunderbolt from the exit ramp knows what I mean when I say that the rust patches on that ride are huge. The layout of the ride is ok at best, but considering how much needs to be replaced, I don't think that they should bother. It'd be like what they did with Enterprise (ripping it out and putting in a new model of the same ride). Don't get me wrong, if Dreamworld do get it to run smooth, you can bet I'll be a happy camper, but from here, I'd say a new ride would be preferable.