Gold Coast trip report

denim_dude

Okay I just got back from the Gold oast today and I thought I should write a little trip report for you guys. This was my first time up in Queensland but I hope to return sometime next year. SeaWorld We got to SeaWorld at about 10am at which we decided we would just go around looking at the animals and stuff. I think that there was just too many random fish tanks. It was too much like any other aquarium which kinda made it dull and boring. Then we went to polar bear shores which was amazing. The polar bears were so cute and playful. They seemed pretty happy to be there too. There is some great viewing areas and you can get really good views of the whole enclosure. We then moved on to Shark Bay. I didn't really find it that interesting nor exciting. The outdoor viewing area and the rock pools were okay. Underwater just another group of tanks. Nothing unique. My little brother seemed to like it though. I don't know don't get me wrong I love Seaworld but a lot of the stuff that is there at the moment has been seen a thousand times before. We got something to eat from the fast food place and then went for a ride around the Monorail. Pretty good views, especially going through the Corckscrew (good photos too).We moved up into the Quest for the golden seal arena. A really great show showing natural seal behaviours in a cute and funny way. Next was the dolphin show. Very good. It's amazing how smart these animals really are. Provides an interesting 20 minutes of entertainment. Now the rides. I wasn't really expecting much from the rides at SeaWorld but the Corkscrew was surprisingly good. Not the best coaster but still fun. The first drop and banked turn were the best. The Pirate was okay. Just another swinging ship kinda ride. Nowhere near as good as Wonderlands Bounty's Revenge though :D . The vikings revenge was fun and rather well themed I might add. I didn't get to ride the Bermuda Triangle. The queue was incredibly long and I just didn't want to wait 2 hours in the sun to ride another flume. Although I have heard this is an exceptional ride with great effects. Our bus didn't come until 5 so we had a couple of hours to kill so we got on planet SOS which was fun. Pretty sad though *tear*. And just rode corkscrew again and looked at the polar bears some more. Just can't get enough of those cute cubs. hehe. Overall SeaWorld isn't really a thrill ride park but more a family oriented place where people can learn and meet all sorts of marine animals. Warner Bros. Movie World As we slowly approached the gates it was impossible not to notice the towering top hat of Superman:The escape. The amazing red and blue track dominates the skyline standing behind the well known WB arches. This is going to be one kick-ass coaster once the train shoot through this beautiful mass of twisted steel. Anyways back to Movieworld. We got there once again around 10. We thought it would be best to get into the Shrek 4D line fast before the crows started to crowd the place up. Crowds suck. lol. Anyways we waited about 15 until they actually opened the doors and let us into the foyer/waiting/preshow area which was nicely themed to lord farquads dungeon. We just kinda wait here and line up until all people are in where one of the staff (he had the coolest accent) tells you what to do and stuff (you will be punished) lol. You then are let into the dark theatre(a couple more dry jokes here) and the movie starts. I won't give much away here. I have written what I thought about Shrek4D in that topic. It was awesome though. We then went on to looney toones village were we rode the Roadrunner coaster. A fun little coaster for the kids. Then Lethal Weapon. What can I say. This is definately one of the best coasters i have ever riden. Extremely fun and awesome to watch and ride. Although the park was pretty packed no one was queing for LW. There was maybe 6-7 people in each load. Maybe because it is hidden back there away from the rest of the park. Then Wild West Falls. Now this is what a flume ride should be like. Fantastic scenery and the best final splashdown I have ever experienced. We got off and went on to Batman the ride 2 which was kinda disapointing. And for some reason the simulator made me kinda nauseous. It was soo damn hot in that pod. I got a couple more pictures of Superman and went to wait out the front. WBMW is a great park for everybody. It has big thrills like LW and WWF and still has heaps of stuff for the smaller kids. Also has some great shows. An overall fun place to visit. Dreamworld We got here a bit later than 10:30 and just walked through the gates when I saw TOT. I decided I had to go there first. It took us like a good 15 minutes to find it. The layout and design of Dreamworld is kinda odd and disorientating. I somehow ended up in Wiggles world.... and then tiger island.....and then some farmyard friends place or something. I don't know it was confusing. But I finally found it. We didn't really have to wait that long to get on. i think like 10 minutes or something around that. I was kinda surprosed by the seatbelt that holds you in. Got me kinda worried but okay. Awaiting to get launched outta there was the most suspensful moment of my life. It was kinda scary. But once you shoot across the track you just can't get enough. It is awesome. Although the car only went about 3/4 up the tower or less which I found odd. I thought it went all the way to the top but okay. It was still really fun and you get that great freefall feeling. I didn't end up going on the Giant Drop though. I guess it is pretty much the same as the space probe.. only a lot higher. lol. Not good with my fear of heights and such. We then went to Nick Central which was pretty ordinary except for the Reptar coaster which was good. Not too bad at all. I think the layout is pretty much identical to MW's Roadrunner. We then went up Ocean Parade and queued up for the claw. Seemed to be the most popular ride there. The ride experience is great and pretty fun yet very predictable. It kinda lost it's thrill after two or three full swings. Still a nice smooth ride. The WipeOut was next. This thing was WILD. I absolutely loved it. My favourite thrill ride. The Waikiki Super Flip never fails to amaze me. All the ride combinations that can be experienced on here are fantastic. I gotta admit I did scream a couple of times. The locked rotation near the end had to be the best part. I expected this ride to be really smooth and quiet but was quite the opposite providing a rough loud ride... yes very much resembling some sort of an electronic wave. We all got on the water rapids. Waited for about an hour though. Didn't get wet whatsoever :(. This ride really needs some water cannons or something. Maybe along the lines of the snowy river rampage. Although the indoors part in pitch black was so awesome. I think passing under a wall of water then would have been fantastic. We went and checked out the BB house for a while and then went back to get a ride on the cyclone. Hmm.. not a bad ride. Somehow reminded me of SeaWorld's Corkscrew. It did look rather out of place in it's current location though. All alone by the carpark. Not that interesting but It was okay. I didn't go into the Blue Laggon. Or to the SeaWorld waterpark. Nor Wet'n'Wild. Water slides just don't appeal to me. I don't really like them or find them fun. And I can just go swimming in the pool at the resort so I didn't see the point. Overview. Gold Coast is a fantastic place to visit I had the best time. Nice weather, Beautiful city everything you could ask for. Hopefully Sydney will follow in the footsteps of the Gold Coast theme park industry. There sure is a lot of money to be made.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok Nice report. One thing you say u got "lost" finding TOT, why didnt you just get a park map? GD isn't like SP at all, Its a hell of a lot better!! Plus the view you get of the park makes it even better. You should have done it. willsy

Edited by willsy

I absolutely looove the Gold Coast. the theme parks, the beaches, the skyscrapers and all the malls. I like it so much that i am looking at living there in a couple of years where i will open up a bar and restraunt called 'Filter' and the funny thing is, I have been to surfers once! Much better than NZ. By the way, How is the Q1 Tower going. They were just finishing off the top ten levels when I went, but man it looks funky B)B):lol:

hey, Dreamworld rulz..... im thinking of doing the same thing as you. i live in crappy old melbourne and me and a freind wanna fly up for 2 days and go to MW and DW, only problem is we tried booking this a few months ago and found that no dam hotel would take anyone under 18. were thinkin of a caravan park or sumthing.... anyone got any suggestions? and also how much is this gonna cost you?
My sisters and i have a 12 month pass to MW and DW (Mine expires on Monday).Were staying at the "Gold Coast Holiday Park" http://www.goldcoastholidaypark.com.au It's op MW however it's about a 20-30 min walk to MW front gates.You can get the route 3 bus from Helensvale station which stops out the front of the Caravan Park.Were getting the XPT Train to Brisbane in 1st class which cost us $134.00 each oneway (Concession).Flying back with Jetstar from GC airport cost us $69.00 each inc all taxes.On the 2nd night were staying at the Courtyard by marriot in Surfers.The Cabin cost us $79.00 and the hotel was $140.00 I'm not sure what you can do about getting accommodation for under 18's maybe you can ring up some hotels and ask them if you can give them a bond or something.Sorry i can't be of more help.Here is the bus route for the Caravan Park.You also could ask your parents to buy a room using a credit card and you just give them the money. http://www.translink.com.au/qt/TransLin.ns...sideRoute-3.pdf

me and a freind wanna fly up for 2 days and go to MW and DW, only problem is we tried booking this a few months ago and found that no dam hotel would take anyone under 18
Your Joking!!!that makes life 10 times more difficultfor when I go next year for 21 days!!! And I was planning to stay at the Q1 hotel. so now i am going to have to live with my uncle in Carara. I could always stay in the holiday park, but i want to be near cavill mall. Any suggestions???? :angry::(-_-

That's good. I will come visit your bar some time. Ooh the tower looks amazing. I think it is about done now. Still some cranes and stuff hanging around though. I know I feel stupid now. I should have done GD first. *gasps* so I did forget scooby!. Scooby was an awesome ride too. I love how the scenery is taken through to the very last detail. The actual ride was a lot different to what I had expected. Although we had 2 consecutive rides the second was just as surprising and unpredictable as the first. Very very good. And no I didn't ride Bermuda... was it that good? That's weird... I think that if your mom or dad booked the hotel for you it would be okay. I have several friends that have gone alone and it was fine. But it is pretty expensive. Although worth every cent. I wish we would have stayed somewhere near Cavill though.

Jetstar had a sale.The flights were booked about May/June.Flights can be expensive between October and January.Also sometimes it's cheaper flying to Brisbane instead of the GC.But just remember it costs about $30 for a oneway train ticket from the airport to Surfers.Airlines have a special between 12pm and 1pm everyday were some services are cheap.They offer like 3 routes and it's usually till the end of the current month.So best to check it out between those times.

Edited by dreamworld_rulz

You didn't go on the Giant Drop, that's shameful. I was scared out of my life before I rode it but I still ended up doing it, and it is a thousand times better then the Space Probe ever could be. The whole sway effect and the rocking of the TOT pod going up the tower is grand.

Although the car only went about 3/4 up the tower or less which I found odd. I thought it went all the way to the top but okay
First time I went to Dreamworld I thought the same thing, but when you are on the ride it seems like you go the whole way to the top, so it didn't worry me :)
By the way, How is the Q1 Tower going. They were just finishing off the top ten levels when I went, but man it looks funky
Indeed it does look good, but it is far from "the 25th tallest structure in the world" as the Sunday Telegraph were advertising it a while back. In May or June, whenever we went they were at the same stage, so I can't comment.

I regards to Q1 - which is an absolutely beautiful building - I found this list of the worlds tallest skyscrapers. I believe this list excludes observation towers et al such as CN Tower in Toronto or Centrepoint (or whatever it is known as these days) in Sydney. Of course there is argument as to whether or not spires or masts count on building, but nevertheless, here is a recent list in which Q1 comes in at 20th spot. Tallest Buildings in the World-completed or topped out # Building City Country (ft) (m) floors year 1 Taipei 101 Taipei Taiwan 1,671 509 101 2004 m 2 Petronas Tower 1 Kuala Lumpur Malaysia 1,483 452 88 1998 o 3 Petronas Tower 2 Kuala Lumpur Malaysia 1,483 452 88 1998 o 4 Sears Tower Chicago USA 1,450 442 108 1974 o 5 Jin Mao Building Shanghai China 1,380 421 88 1998 m 6 Two International Finance Center Hong Kong China 1,362 415 88 2003 o 7 CITIC Plaza Guangzhou China 1,283 391 80 1997 o 8 Shun Hing Square Shenzhen China 1,260 384 69 1996 o 9 Empire State Building New York USA 1,250 381 102 1931 o 10 Central Plaza Hong Kong China 1,227 374 78 1992 o 11 Bank of China Tower Hong Kong China 1,205 367 72 1990 o 12 Emirates Office Tower Dubai UAE 1,163 355 54 2000 o 13 Tunex Sky Tower Kaohsiung Taiwan 1,140 348 85 1997 m 14 Aon Center Chicago USA 1,136 346 83 1973 o 15 The Center Hong Kong China 1,135 346 73 1998 o 16 John Hancock Center Chicago USA 1,127 344 100 1969 m 17 Shimao International Plaza Shanghai China 1,093 333 60 UC2005 o 18 Wuhan International Securities Building Wuhan China 1,087 331 68 UC2005 m 19 Ryugyong Hotel Pyongyang North Korea 1,083 330 105 1992 u 20 Q1 Gold Coast Australia 1,058 323 78 UC2005 r 21 Burj Al Arab Dubai UAE 1,053 321 60 1999 h 22 Nina Tower 1 Hong Kong China 1,046 319 80 UC2005 o 23 Chrysler Building New York USA 1,046 319 77 1930 o 24 Bank of America Plaza Atlanta USA 1,023 312 55 1992 o 25 US Bank Tower Los Angeles USA 1,018 310 73 1989 o 26 Menara Tekekom Kuala Lumpur Malaysia 1,017 310 55 2001 o 27 Emirates Towers Hotel Dubai UAE 1,014 309 56 2000 h 28 AT & T Corporate Center Chicago USA 1,007 307 60 1989 o 29 JP MorganChase Tower Houston USA 1,002 305 75 1982 o 30 Baiyoke Tower II Bangkok Thailand 997 304 85 1997 o 31 Two Prudential Plaza Chicago USA 995 303 64 1990 o 32 Kingdom Centre Riyadh Saudi Arabia 992 302 41 2002 o 33 First Canadian Place Toronto Canada 978 298 72 1976 o 34 Eureka Tower Melbourne Australia 975 297 91 UC2006 r As for taller buildings in Sydney - I don't think so and I'm not sure whether or not Centrepoint reaches higher than Q1. However and correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that Sydney may have hight limits imposed near the hight of Centrepoint Tower because if buildings were to be higher than it, it would become less of a visible landmark and be rendered useless as an observation tower if towers of the calibur of Q1 or Eureka in Melbourne were built in the Sydney CBD.

Edited by matty_o_911

I can't wait for my trip next year when I go to the gold coast, so then can go check out the observation levels of Q1 on levels 78 and 79, what a view that will be. It's amazing how much they are advertising it through flight centres and TV in New Zealand, it's everywhere!!!! :lol:

Edited by paul frank

I regards to Q1 - which is an absolutely beautiful building - I found this list of the worlds tallest skyscrapers. I believe this list excludes observation towers et al such as CN Tower in Toronto or Centrepoint (or whatever it is known as these days) in Sydney. Of course there is argument as to whether or not spires or masts count on building, but nevertheless, here is a recent list in which Q1 comes in at 20th spot. Tallest Buildings in the World-completed or topped out # Building City Country (ft) (m) floors year 1 Taipei 101 Taipei Taiwan 1,671 509 101 2004 m 2 Petronas Tower 1 Kuala Lumpur Malaysia 1,483 452 88 1998 o 3 Petronas Tower 2 Kuala Lumpur Malaysia 1,483 452 88 1998 o 4 Sears Tower Chicago USA 1,450 442 108 1974 o 5 Jin Mao Building Shanghai China 1,380 421 88 1998 m 6 Two International Finance Center Hong Kong China 1,362 415 88 2003 o 7 CITIC Plaza Guangzhou China 1,283 391 80 1997 o 8 Shun Hing Square Shenzhen China 1,260 384 69 1996 o 9 Empire State Building New York USA 1,250 381 102 1931 o 10 Central Plaza Hong Kong China 1,227 374 78 1992 o 11 Bank of China Tower Hong Kong China 1,205 367 72 1990 o 12 Emirates Office Tower Dubai UAE 1,163 355 54 2000 o 13 Tunex Sky Tower Kaohsiung Taiwan 1,140 348 85 1997 m 14 Aon Center Chicago USA 1,136 346 83 1973 o 15 The Center Hong Kong China 1,135 346 73 1998 o 16 John Hancock Center Chicago USA 1,127 344 100 1969 m 17 Shimao International Plaza Shanghai China 1,093 333 60 UC2005 o 18 Wuhan International Securities Building Wuhan China 1,087 331 68 UC2005 m 19 Ryugyong Hotel Pyongyang North Korea 1,083 330 105 1992 u 20 Q1 Gold Coast Australia 1,058 323 78 UC2005 r 21 Burj Al Arab Dubai UAE 1,053 321 60 1999 h 22 Nina Tower 1 Hong Kong China 1,046 319 80 UC2005 o 23 Chrysler Building New York USA 1,046 319 77 1930 o 24 Bank of America Plaza Atlanta USA 1,023 312 55 1992 o 25 US Bank Tower Los Angeles USA 1,018 310 73 1989 o 26 Menara Tekekom Kuala Lumpur Malaysia 1,017 310 55 2001 o 27 Emirates Towers Hotel Dubai UAE 1,014 309 56 2000 h 28 AT & T Corporate Center Chicago USA 1,007 307 60 1989 o 29 JP MorganChase Tower Houston USA 1,002 305 75 1982 o 30 Baiyoke Tower II Bangkok Thailand 997 304 85 1997 o 31 Two Prudential Plaza Chicago USA 995 303 64 1990 o 32 Kingdom Centre Riyadh Saudi Arabia 992 302 41 2002 o 33 First Canadian Place Toronto Canada 978 298 72 1976 o 34 Eureka Tower Melbourne Australia 975 297 91 UC2006 r As for taller buildings in Sydney - I don't think so and I'm not sure whether or not Centrepoint reaches higher than Q1. However and correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that Sydney may have hight limits imposed near the hight of Centrepoint Tower because if buildings were to be higher than it, it would become less of a visible landmark and be rendered useless as an observation tower if towers of the calibur of Q1 or Eureka in Melbourne were built in the Sydney CBD.
How can you not count observation towers & to a lesser extent communication towers in a list of the tallest buildings? It's absurd. They are still man made buildings, and they reach a higher point in the sky and hence should be counted. As a skyscraper fan (if you will) I have a giant poster that has a picture of every skyscraper (towers included) next to each other, and upon counting the number of towers before the Q1, it comes in at a healthy #68. It's not very impressive when you look at it. Sydney Tower is indeed smaller than the Q1 in every aspect (from the last time I bothered to look into it), and there won't be any buildings taller in Sydney for a long time to come, unless they allow for large buildings to be put near Darling Harbour. That was something Bob Carr was looking into I believe.

How can you not count observation towers & to a lesser extent communication towers in a list of the tallest buildings? It's absurd. They are still man made buildings, and they reach a higher point in the sky and hence should be counted. As a skyscraper fan (if you will) I have a giant poster that has a picture of every skyscraper (towers included) next to each other, and upon counting the number of towers before the Q1, it comes in at a healthy #68. It's not very impressive when you look at it.
I personally count observation towers and so forth when I think of tallest buildings, but that list merely was showing Q1 in relation to actual skyscrapers used for either commercial or residential functions. So sure there are plenty of other things taller than Q1 and by using that post I was never suggesting that Q1 was the 20th tallest structure in the world - I was only merely using those particular parameters in a patriotic way so that as Australians we can be proud to finally have a building tall enough to compare with some of the world's most famous tall buildings in the world. It was only a few weeks that I got to have a reasonable look at this amazing building close from Surfers since the last time I had actually been in the Gold Coast before that was several years ago when Q1 was merely a hole in the ground. However I do always like to go on the Eastern side of the Giant Drop at Dreamworld so that I can see how this dominates the skyline, though soon to be joined by some great looking tall buildings which are under construction or soon to be. And I'll admit too that I'm also a fan of skyscrapers/architecture etc. (Makes me wonder though why I'm studying law :( ) I even went for a nice two hour walk the other day around Brisbane's CBD admiring some of the nice buildings like Riparian and my favourite - the State Law Building (aka Gotham City, or the Batman Building).

I absolutely love modern arcitecture, and just seeing this Q1 tower dominating the gold coast skyline and it being one of the most Beautifully designed skyskrapers i have ever seen is something that you Australians should be damm proud of. It's a shame that in the city Where I live in New Zealand (Dunedin), has a highest building height of 10 storeys, and they are all ugly, ugly, UGLY! now you understand why i want to live in the gold coast. It's got: warmer beaches warmer climate bigger buildings plenty of shopping malls cool theme parks close to a city with a few million people living there. The last thing to make it the ultimate place is, do they have a college, Polytech, university (whatever you guys call it) where you can study food and hospitality? Because if they do, I am over there boarding with my uncle A.S.A.P ^_^:huh:

For university at the Gold Coast there is primarily Bond University and also the GC campus of Griffith University. Plus it is only about an hour away from Brisbane where there are numerous Universities. But yeah I love the Gold Coast too - though I don't think I'd ever like to live there myself - mainly because it isn't a big enough city and I'm not really a 'beach' person.

To be quite honest with you, the gold coast is exactly what i want. the demand for cafes and restraunts is high. especially good ones. When i went there, none of the restraunts were half as good as the ones in Dunedin, althoe i'm sure Plazzo Versache is very ponsy, but that is only one. But I am going to change that!!! :D

Edited by paul frank