Tornado Ride

clone_tk422

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I drove past yesterday on the way to/from Gold Coast. Tornado at Wet'n'Wild is finished, well from what I can see, and it's HUGE!!! A while ago I had doubts about just how big it was going to be, but all fears have been laid to rest! The drop into the funnel looks crazy steep as well. The framework for the WhiteWater World tornado looks to be completed as well. I think I also saw another slide piece in place on the tower closest to the road, can't be too sure tho, those DAMNED HEDGES!!!

I am very much looking forward to pics of either of the parks Tornados. I think mattcrombie drove past on Friday so we should be seeing some more of his pics soon. Just going on from something OzCoasterFreek mentioned... I know that WnW can be seen easily from the road but is this not the case with Whitewater World? They may be at a slight disadvantage if this is the case. As we have discussed before though, this would probably not make a particularly huge difference

Edited by GoGoBoy

post-88-1153723412_thumb.jpg Yay, speakers, guys "THE SPLASH DOWN POOL IS SHALLOW!" post-88-1153723559_thumb.jpg What are these in the background? i thought they were concrete pipes, but arent they normally circular and not cut in half? Plus it seems that some of them are stacked on top each other like this: (( but vertically. Edited by Gazza

What are these in the background? i thought they were concrete pipes, but arent they normally circular and not cut in half?
They are probably half covered in dirt or something. However, before the chute into the splash pool there are usually two pipes that dump out water so you get more speed when you splash down - this could be another possibility? Just a question to fish off with: What are the speakers for, and how do you know that they are speakers? CoasterBoy6

The speakers are just queue line speakers like on Mammoth Falls. They play music and have annoying repeating announcements like Gazza said. Those pipes just look like they're half buried, I doubt that they are actually cut in half. It's gonna be a great ride. Dreamworld is going to have to do something special to set them apart. (Hint: Make those stairs wider, people will love you for it!)

Dreamworld's (Whitewater World's) Tornado is going to be slightly longer than WnW's as it will do a full circle before going into the chute, rather than half a circle. It will also have the added bonus of a conveyor belt carrying the rafts up to the slide so the width of the stairs doesn't matter so much

Thank God!, At least Dreamworld will not be wasting their money. I personally think that the longer the tunnel the better - especially if it is dark coloured, it will be more disorientating, you will not know when your about to drop! :o However, the colours look really ugly and don't suit the Tornado theme. Instead of Dreamworld getting a Tornado they could of got one of these: http://www.whitewaterwest.com/Featured_Pro...rld_Icarus.html It's made by White Water West and looks really cool with the theming and everything. I am not sure about other people on these forums but i think this could give the same type of thrill as tornado. CoasterBoy6

Yeh, it looks pretty cool but you only go up the wall once, as opposed to three or four times on the tornado. I know it would be impossible but has anyone seen those things on ProSlide that look like two enclosed tornados joined up. Oh, and by the way, do we know if it will be enclosed? EDIT: I just checked. The one with two funnels is called the TornadoALLEY.

Edited by WnW_Rocks

you will not know when your about to drop! :o
Yeah you will because you would be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
However, the colours look really ugly and don't suit the Tornado theme.
Tornados have a theme :blink: ? In that case all tornados would be grey. Personally with the colours lime green should be put with the dark green.
Instead of Dreamworld getting a Tornado they could of got one of these: http://www.whitewaterwest.com/Featured_Pro...rld_Icarus.html
Yup, they will send back the ride they paid for and pull up the footers and supports. Meh, tornados are better anyway.

The next few weeks should reveal the majority of Whitewater World's attractions and I think when that happens most people will agree that their chosen attraction line-up is pretty much on the mark. This is ofcourse taking into account the fact that it is a brand new park so will probably grow over the next few years. So in keeping with the parks quality line-up I'd say a Tornado is definitely a better choice than a WhiteWaterWest 'Fall of Icarus' style slide. It's an interesting thought Coaster Boy 6 but I'd say ProSlide is definitely at the forefront of the industry at the moment

Oh well, looked close enough, thought i bet somewhere they will have the announcements. IMO a better approach would be to have a 1.2x2.5m sign mounted on a turn on the stairs on the way up, use really big writing, and a huge warning triangle with a symbol for shallow water, and a yellow and black danger stripe border. There is no way anyone could ignore that, and it would communicate the message loud and clear.

All these tents, so little shade. When we were there last January, the ground literally burns your feet, and there is hardly any shade what so ever! IMO they should build a shelter thing like the ones between Mammoth Falls and the wave pool. The queue lines need shade cloths over them or something too. (The ones at the bottom of the tower. There's lots of things I could say but it would take years. Anyway.....

Don't tell me they are putting up more of those dodgy temporary looking tents? There is no excuse not to build proper shade structures considering how much time they've had to work on Tornado. When I was up there in April, H20 Zone just had a big temporary tent/marquee put up and some plastic chairs underneath. It made the place look like someones backyard... not such a good look

All these tents, so little shade. When we were there last January, the ground literally burns your feet, and there is hardly any shade what so ever! IMO they should build a shelter thing like the ones between Mammoth Falls and the wave pool. The queue lines need shade cloths over them or something too. (The ones at the bottom of the tower. There's lots of things I could say but it would take years. Anyway.....
Try walking from the end of the speed slide to the lockers without getting your feet burned? You can't WnW need to do something about it.

One ride i absoulutely hate at WnW is the Speed Coaster. Good Points: 1. Gets some awsome speed. 2. The linclined brake at the end gives a little bit of a twist. Bad Points: 1. If you have just been on a slide and you are soking wet, you get on the top of the tower and you wait in line. As you are on top of the tower waiting to ride, you incounter a calm breeze, but it feels like you are freezing to death!! 2. You get into your tube and go down the slide and don't get splashed by the water as you travel through the tunnels or the straight. 3. You go up the spike and don't even reach half the way. :angry: I don't know about you guys but i had this experience two years ago when riding with my dad. It is so boring and does not give you hardly any thrill. I just hope that the tubed slides on Mach 5 don't do the same thing? CoasterBoy6

Edited by Coaster Boy 6

It depends on the overall weight of the people in the tube. I've seen some larger people make it pretty close to the top. It isn't exactly thrilling but is fun maybe once or twice. I know this is getting a bit off topic but does anyone have photos of the speed slide or whatever else used to be where Speedcoaster now stands? Thanks,

Here you go, post-88-1154518648_thumb.jpg It seems to me like WnW has gone full circle with the extreme H20 zone, they got rid of a speed slide only to replace it again. Its the same deal with river rapids being removed and then replaced with sidewinders. Even Black Hole is really just a bare and compact version of Terror Canyon 1/2. Not that any of these rides are bad or anything, though it will be nice to have tornado to provide something new.

The old speed slide was fun, except with the pool at the bottom instead of a straight run out, it was a really painful ride (about the only ride I've really injured myself on). I don't mind putting a hefty sum of money on the change over from the speed slide to speed 'coaster' was due to this. As it is now, its kinda fun, but its one of those rides you go on late at night when everyone has gone home and its a walk on. If the queue is more then say 5 mins, then its too much.

IMO, the new speed slides look much better than the old ones. And they didn't have a freefall slide on the old one did they. SpeedCoaster was probably made to be similar in shape but requiring the hill at the end instead of a long runout or a pool. They definately could've made it better but at least they brought the speed slides back! The only thing I wonder about, is why they bothered with black hole. I haven't been on it yet so don't quote me on anything but like Gazza said, they're pretty much the same, except they don't follow terrain and they take up less space. EDIT: Twister looks way more fun in that picture. I'd imagine it would be dark inside, making the ride just a bit more interesting.

Edited by WnW_Rocks