The Claw: Unsafe?

Guest Kyle

Two weeks ago, Dreamworld had its first safety inspection on The Claw, the most visited attraction in the park. Unfortunately, Intamin safety inspectors have revealed that there was a missing bolt in the motor of the rotating engine on the ride. Even though it isn't a major thing, if something does go wrong, we will end up not being able to ride The Claw, the most beloved ride in the whole park.

I suppose that bold would've been the one that holds the engine up, huh. Too bad it's held up by a steel tube or it would've been goners for those poor riders. Now, what I don't get is why would Intamin, who's based in Neverland, send their own people down to frankly check someone else's ride a week before it shuts down for annual maintenance? Seems like another myth busted considering that: a ) Dreamworld uses their own in-house engineering team to inspect and main their own rides. b ) Do you reckon there'd be any bolts pushing or helping the rotating systems on The Claw? c ) Intamin only design and manufacture most of their attractions, so unless their was a vital "known" problem there'd be no point in some swedish people coming down to check a ride to see if Dreamworld's been "bad". Should I keep going buddy? And by the way, you still haven't answered my other questions.

Edited by SK2

I phoned Dreamworld about this topic (the Claw being "unsafe") and it is a load of rot. Everything everone else has said gives a sensible person enough proof to say 'hey, these guys are right, the Claw isn't unsafe!'. That is your problem. For some unknown reason, you can't admit that you are wrong. You should probably know by now that the Dreamworld inspection team would've known about this before the ride had begun testing or a little while after. You also said that 'two weeks ago', which would mean that the Claw has been swinging for about 6/7 whatever it is months but now they've decided to check up on it? I don't think so. Case closed. Unless anyone else has anything to say. :D

Well, Kyle, that's even worse! (Thanks, NatDog!) You really, honestly think that it would be not a month, not two months, not three, not four, not five, not six, not seven, not eight, not nine, not ten, not eleven but 12 months to check up on this ride? Why must you start threads that have nothing to do with anything? 12 months...pffft, yeah right.

I think you guys need to take a step back. It's very common with this kind of construction that the manufacturer will send out someone well after it was commissioned (ie after Intamin sent people over to get the thing working smoothly) for an inspection. This is separate from the routine inspections that happen on a regular basis by the park's in-house mechanical and engineering staff. Dreamworld spent a huge amount of money - more than most people will earn in a lifetime. Cars come with included checkups down the track. You don't think a $6 million piece of equipment that handles thousands of people a day would be privy to the same kind of treatment? So far I see more misinterpreting and false assumptions from other members than there have been from Kyle, so I really don't think anyone else is in a position to criticise on this particular topic of discussion.