The Claw

lil' monster

The Claw was not designed by Intamin AG to do a full 360 degree rotation. Thats the most simple way to put it.
No, the Claw is the most powerful pendulum ride in the world, and doing a full revolution would probably mentally and physically hurt people. So, SK2...any "nice" <_< remarks about that statement?

Its not the most powerful penulum ride in the world, what about delirium at paramounts king island, its way bigger : http://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/thrillrides/delirium/ Also, mondial make a version that does a full 360. http://www.mondialrides.com/txt/ultramax/index.html But yeah, Hurricane is right, the claw just wasn't designed to do a full 360.

Edited by Gazza

You kids know me too well. The whole reason behind The Claw not doing a full revolution is the fact that the same ride experience i.e. airtime and force would be adversely affected. If you did a full revolution, there'd be no airtime as that'd be a huge amount of force just trying to get the actual gondola over the top, provided it was structurally sound to do so, which it isn't. So basically, full revolution, no airtime.

Its not the most powerful penulum ride in the world, what about delirium at paramounts king island, its way bigger :
I didn't say the Claw was the biggest pendulum in the world, I said its power. The Claw pushes more energy out of its motor than any other pendulum in the world.

You never know, Intamin might not be going for the 5 star energy rating :P But anyway, Rich is right since Intamin makes two models of its gyro swing (With the claw being the smaller of the two) It is impossible for the claw to really hold any records in regards to both size or power. And Slick, yes you would lose the nice airtime you get with only a partial swing, but you would gain the thrill of being upside down, and you would get hang time if you did a full 360, it really just depends on the sort of experience the park wants to give.

Edited by Gazza

Even the ones that do are highly inefficient and very small. Even if the Claw's retainers were taken off and it was modified somehow to do a full revolution, the engine will still not be able sustain any decent heigh under a revolution as lop-sided weight issues become an issue. You'll notice that the Mondial version has a counter-weight on the other end, much like Wipeout, and is much smaller and frankly crappier than The Claw. So, in summing up, air time's good, let's not give the parks ideas.

Thats so funny Kyle, I really thought you were being sarcastic. Best post so far! Claw is a good ride, but worlds most powerful pendulum was just hype from a press release (and not just any press release: this was really one of Dreamworld's finest creative efforts ever), and here is the offending press release in all its glory:

A giant Claw is getting pulses pumping at Dreamworld! The ultimate thrill ride has slashed its way to the Southern Hemisphere and will soon take its place as the most terrifying talon in the world. It’s like nothing you’ve ever experienced before! This September, prepare yourself for the most powerful pendulum on the planet and get ready for the ride of your life! Dare to dice with 240 degrees and feel the fear of the ten to two o’clock swing. There’s no escape as the floor withdraws, now you’re in the merciless clutches of The Claw. Propelled 9 stories high, swinging up to 64km per hour and spinning 360 degrees you’ll experience insane gravity hang time as you perch perilously close to the edge. Up to 90 seconds of free falling fear and Gyro Swing scare, The Claw is ripping up the records as the ultimate rush of pure adrenalin. It’s the first of its kind in the Southern Hemisphere and the most menacing of its kind ever built; hold on tight for Dreamworld’s newest fingernail-biting, spine-tingling, knee-knocking nightmare… The Claw.
Pure genius.

Nice spotting there joz. Theme parks do "twist" facts all the time, especially Dreamworld. Although I don't think phrases like - "most powerful", or "most frightening", or "most exciting" are meant to be taken literally. I mean, how could they possibly know that Scooby-Doo is the "most spine-tingling coaster ever-created"? It's all mumbo-jumbo geared towards the public. It’s not uncommon for things like this to happen. Dreamworld recently claimed that their Wiggles World ride - with it's trackless vehicle system - is the first of it's kind in the world, yet ETF Ride Systems (the transportation system which Sally Corp. use) have been producing vehicles with this technology for yonks. Press releases are intended to further the reputation of the attraction/park/facility being described, and this certainly can't be done by sticking to real facts and figures...

Except for the Giant Drop...give people the height and speed facts and you've got a queue for ages! Some rides can be more recognised if the facts are given, but for rides like The Wipeout, all you want to hear is how much fun you're going to have! No-one wants to know that you might fall at 36.5km/h and spin at 36 degrees. Just not wanted. -_-

Wipeout falls a distance of 36.5 kilometres? That's a big wave dude. It's funny how you contradict yourself and say "give people facts such as speed and height, but don't give it to them for rides like Wipeout." Parks mainly use that type of jargon to promote a new ride purely so the general public, who don't have a clue, are amazed that "it's just so powerful."

The Wipeout doesn't actually fall like that...I don't actually know!! Anyway, it's true. The rides that you can give facts about and make theme popular are the Giant Drop, Tower of Terror and maybe the Cyclone. But then again, you can't tell people too much otherwise they'll just lose interest. For example if you started talking about the engine specifications in the Tower of Terror, not many people will be interested. Telling people how fast it goes and stuff like that usually gets them interested.

I think the general public realises that the parks' descriptions of its rides are merely promotional sales talk and are not to be taken literally. Nevertheless, the themeparks still need to be careful of how far they 'exaggerate' the facts of the rides before they become too misleading and deceptive and illegal. I'm not too sure but does the entrance to TOT still claim that it is the tallest/fastest in the world? because I'm sure that would probably not considered to be mere sales talk and a misleading representation of the ride. Also while reading the other day the Trade Practices Act, I noticed that Movie World was probably in breach of section 53 where it is made illegal that things be falsely claimed to be new when really they weren't - here I'm thinking of the 'new' sign next to the Batman Ride entrance (assuming its still there) and also where they had 'new' next to Scooby on their website for several years (though taken away only recently in the last few months.)

Edited by matty_o_911

Also while reading the other day the Trade Practices Act, I noticed that Movie World was probably in breach of section 53 where it is made illegal that things be falsely claimed to be new when really they weren't - here I'm thinking of the 'new' sign next to the Batman Ride entrance (assuming its still there) and also where they had 'new' next to Scooby on their website for several years (though taken away only recently in the last few months.)
The Batman sign is still there. How long is new then?