Big Brother & The ABA

Guest Kyle

The Australian Broadcasting Association (ABA) has accused Big Brother of airing too-sexual scenes on television. Even though it's late at night, some kids are still up and it makes you wonder why they would air a show like that anyway (besides the viewing pleasure of men). Also, this year, I've noticed that swearing has not been blocked as much as previous years, even on the daily shows at 7pm (for example bitch, bastard etc.) Why would Southern Star Endemol do something that they knew was wrong on prime-time television? Should Big Brother be banned from screens, like the ABA is threatening to do? Or should we, fans and enemies of Big Brother, stick up for our 2nd best reality show?* *I like Australian Idol better....

That brings me to my next topic: the ratings. Last year, Big Brother was fighting desperately for ratings against Channel 7 soapie 'Home And Away' and Channel 9's 'A Current Affair'. On September 13, Big Brother actually got a lower viewing rating than A Current Affair, which had 1,254,366 viewers. Big Brother only had 1,115,102 viewers. The finale was also about 120,000 viewers less than previous years. This is one reason that there was a rumor that BB would be cut from television.

It wasn't a rumour, it was going to happen if the last few episodes weren't going to draw in enough viewers. And I think you confused "too" with "two". There were two episodes, the one with a certain housemate's members out, and another one that really got the riots cracking down at Dreamworld. Also, I have no idea where you come up with some of the stuff you say, but A current affair is on at 6:30pm, not 7pm, the time Big Brother's daily show airs.

A current affair is on at 6:30pm, not 7pm, the time Big Brother's daily show airs.
Oops!! My mistake... it didn't really matter much anyway because A Current Affair didn't cause a problem in the viewing side of Big Brother (obviously). But I am serious when I said that it was fighting against Home And Away! :P

A current affair is on at 6:30pm, not 7pm, the time Big Brother's daily show airs.
In capital cities it is, regional viewers get ACA on at 7pm due to local news. Getting back ontopic even if they aired it at 11pm or midnight there would still be still people complaining. If big brother was aired on SBS there would probally be less people complaining about BB Uplate.

Precisely. Becuase Network 10 airs Big Brother, it becomes more popular, as 10 is a more popular tv station. However, put BB on ABC or SBS, and no-one will watch it, except for die-hard fans of the show. Also, if BB did air on SBS, it would be in the middle of two programs that really, no-one watches. On Network Ten, BB is placed in between shows that a large audience will watch, further increasing BB's viewing audience. I think it's fair to say that if Big Brother was a show on its own, its ratings would plummet (downwards). Shows like The OC and House attract large audiences, therefore, if people want to watch one of them, or a show like them, they will probably turn the TV on a little before BB finishes, and therefore they get a glimpse of what it's like and might watch it on a regular basis. Same with Neighbors. Because it gets millions of viewers in Australia, they'll probably end up watching BB after it, or they might keep the TV on and get interested. Network 10 knows these things, and air in a very spy-y kind of way. On SBS, we might see Asian Arabic News* or something like that before BB, and Chinese Ching News* after it. Not many people tune into those kind of shows, ensuring a low viewer rating for Big Brother. SK2 is right, too. When I went to the BB house, I could clearly hear the Tower of Terror every time it roared up the side of the Dreamworld Tower. *This is most likely NOT the names of the programs. Good thought, though...

Edited by Kyle

There is a new show on 10 called the Ronnie Jones 1/2 hour, it’s a very funny show but there is one send up of Mark 'Chopper' Reed which in the last two weeks (the only 2 episodes so far) contained more of the word "f*#k" than the entire BB series (what was shown anyway), and that is in a 2-3 min skit in a half hour show. Personally I couldn't care less what is said on TV because you hear it on the street anyway and if you don't like it do as the 'good taste pony' says "maybe you shouldn't be watching. "The Bus is now leaving for Pony Bottom Creek, Tasmania"

Back on topic, I was not really meaning the swearing or language used on Big Brother. This thread was more aimed at the ABA's threats to cut Big Brother. Sure, swearing was only a minor issue, but was still one reason the company threatened SSE. I was mainly poking a stick at some of the scenes aired on late-night BB shows. It's a good point to say that if you don't like what's on, just don't watch it, but some people are angry that people they know (like underage people or kids) are exposed to sexual scenes. By the way, I love Big Brother. That's why I'm blaming Southern Star Endemol.

The reason there was more explicit swearing in this year's daily show is due to the changes that were made to television classifications and screening times in early 2005. Last year, PG-rated programs could not be shown before 7.30pm. Early this year, the rules were changes so that those programs could be screened from 7.00pm onwards. To be honest, with a couple of notable exceptions, BB Uncut was no worse this year than other years. It's tacky viewing, but has been since the Adults-Only version started in 2001. If you compare it to some of the European versions of the show, Australian BB is extremely tame. I also take issue to all those people who complain about 'under-age' children seeing the explicit content. Perhaps those 'impressionable' people's parents should try taking some responsibility and monitoring what their children watch. BB's figures were down this year, however it continued to rate relatively strongly in the 16-39 demographic which Ten chases so intensely. Also, it was up against Home & Away and Temptation - two shows that have been rating very strongly this year. So all-in-all, it held it's own relatively well for a show that has been running for 5 years. Also, a 120,000 drop in viewers of the finale is not huge considering the concept is a bit dated now. Basically, what I'm saying is...expect it back for one more season (probably in with milder housemates though).

l just wanted to say l love bb, the hosts are great, gretal n mike do a fantastic job, and with the introduction of friday night live it went off. Also pleased to see fryzie back. There was nothing wrong with any of the content in the show, compare it to other versions from other countries. BB will be back @ DW for 1 last year, it makes for a great full day out for a sunday, Dreamworld during the day, tour the studios while they setting up for the eviction show, then preshow drinks, then live in the BB studios for the eviction show. What a great night it is, having mike warm up the crowd before the show.

Firstly, I really have no idea why you (Kyle) are posting something about the ABA and BB when the series is long-gone and the issue is also non (or very smally) existent. Some of the posts and things you have exposed to the public are unbelievably ridiculous. Everyone else is wasting their internet time thinking they are learning that something is happening, when really, they are being exposed to the biggest load of rubbish available on the Net. Some of the things you say are even worse than rumors. Your fascination with 'informing' people of something is going way too far. Give up. <_<

Edited by The Theme Park Master