Flashback at SFMM

Drewboy

What is the go with the operation of Flashback at SFMM? On rcdb.com it says that the ride is not operating at present so I checked the six flags website and it doesn't say anything about whether the ride is operating or not? Rcdb.com also mentions that... "The Flashback is generally closed from May to September when the adjacent water park is open. Even outside of these times the Flashback's operation is very sparse. During the waterpark's 2003/2004 off-season, the Flashback never operated."

The reason it doesn't operate in Summer (when the water park is open) is because of its close proximity to the water park, it is seen as a distraction or nuissance to life guards. When the ride operated at previous parks it had been in cooler climates. When it moved to Southern California they had to use a harder compound to cope with the warmer operating temperatures. This resulted in a significantly louder ride than would have ever been anticipated. One theory that's a bit out there suggests that this was the first ride that ever featured "heartline design", which Werner Stengel and Messrs Bolliger and Mabillard had recently developed. Basically the idea is that the ride is designed around riders theoretical heartline instead of the track, resulting in a smoother and more flowing coaster. Six Flags, upon receiving the ride were convinced that it had been misengineered, seeing the way the track actually banked against the direction of the turn initially (this creates a more flowing turn). Despite being insisted that it was correct, Six Flages allegedly proceded to (under the guidance of their own in-house engineers) "correct" these banking issues. This is said to be the cause for the rough tracking on the ride, coupled with restrictive restraints (as a result of the very close clearances with supports).

Banked against the direction of the turn? Can you supply a photo or summat like that to further describe that, seeing as I'm guessing that all the photos on rcdb would be of the track after SF correction. I also though that the main reason why it didn't operate is because it was far too rough, and that no-one wanted to ride it.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I seen Flashback when I was recently at SFMM, it looked rundown from what i could see, like the area around it was all trashy and was a area to dump stuff like benches and I seen some trash cans. I really wanted to go on flashback when I was there, oh well.

Edited by mattcrombie