Dreamworld Needs A (nother) Coaster

I'd be happy with a B&M Flyer, Dive Machine, Stand Up or Floorless. I just want something new in Australia. It doesn't bother me overly as I'm travelling to America for the whole of February 2006 and I will get to experience the coaster types Australia is lacking. I have a feeling that a Flyer or Stand Up will be the most exhilerating to me.

Maybe if Dreamworld kept the money rolling in for a few years, they could extend their land and possibly build the biggest wooden (or steel) coaster you've seen in Australia! Maybe even the Southern Hemisphere! Yeah, I can see the headlines now: 'Dreamworld builds Coaster of All Coasters'. Maybe... Trouble is, there are some pretty big roller-coasters in the Southern part of the world, and if (because most of the land Dreamworld still has to use is behind the GD) a roller-coaster, say a tall, fast roller-coaster, a mega-thrill one, was built anywhere near the Giant Drop it would kind of distract the height awe that the GD actually gets. Maybe putting a coaster in Gold Rush Country might keep everyone happy.

Maybe if Dreamworld kept the money rolling in for a few years, they could extend their land and possibly build the biggest wooden (or steel) coaster you've seen in Australia! Maybe even the Southern Hemisphere! Yeah, I can see the headlines now: 'Dreamworld builds Coaster of All Coasters'. Maybe... Trouble is, there are some pretty big roller-coasters in the Southern part of the world, and if (because most of the land Dreamworld still has to use is behind the GD) a roller-coaster, say a tall, fast roller-coaster, a mega-thrill one, was built anywhere near the Giant Drop it would kind of distract the height awe that the GD actually gets. Maybe putting a coaster in Gold Rush Country might keep everyone happy.
Dude, think about what you're saying. The fastest steel coaster in Australia would be bigger then Tower of Terror. What's the point of having a huge coaster (TOT) and marketing that coasters height, then building one that's even bigger, thus making the first ride's height just pointless. You will not be seeing another Kingda Ka in SFGA, beleive me. That's something people here have pointed out many times. Then again it is Six Flags......

Do Dreamworld own the land where the whole Big Brother area is? Why havent they put any attraction out that way? i think having a ride like Kingda Ka would be great, but the record would just get broken by some american park soon after like what happened with the TOT/Superman Escape(US one) Dreamworld held the record for like 5 minutes even though they apparently reach the same speeds (100mph) most records state that the Superman was faster, I think Dreamworld should get a really unique ride one thats a world first like a coaster that has its cars hanging like an inverted and then switches then round so your then on top of the track and vice versa(that already been done?) i think they should sit ont here money for a while and bring out a truly awesome attraction

Dreamworld needs a new coaster hey?? Well if this isnt gunna go down as one of the "Great Duhs Of History" then I dont know what is. Dreamworld needs a lot of things. A new coaster would just be ONE of many. BUT unless you want ticket prices to double or actually have the money to throw at dreamworld then dont expect much to happen soon. Sure theyl get new things over the next few years but your not going to see like 2 or 3 new thrill rides go in over the course of a year. Try more like 2 or 3 over 10 years...if that!

I hint nothing. :) Guys seriously, read what you say before posting. Dr_Teeh you're going on about how they don't have money, but the park will be almost doubling in size in the next decade, I mean, where did you think a part of the 270 million will be going to mate? World's largest monorail system? Remember that a good park makes money from all different aspects of the market. Just because you guys want six new roller-coasters doesn't mean it's actually a smart idea. In time, sure, but you need an even mix in terms of catering to each market to ensure you return a profit and most importantly get the guests back. And this is exactly why we don't get three TTD clones in Australia, like I've said earlier. If we had three record breaking coasters of the same type in the one park, the biggest one would make the other two look like crap, making a worthless investment. Good work. Oh, stop me if I'm wrong, but I think they're not going to build anything around Big Brother yet purely because Big Brother's there, although I could be wrong, but it doesn't usually happen, <i>right lads.</i> :)

The park isn’t doubling in size strictly on ride type attractions, (read what they’re actually building SK2) which is what some are suggesting is what should happen. Hey don’t get me wrong it’d be great however Australia doesn’t have the population or general public interest to go building Cedar Point size parks here. And as I said, yeah it’d be great if Dreamworld announced that over the next 5 years 10 or so major attractions are going to be added. But in reality and again as i said unless you wanna pay like 100bucks to get in then don’t expect that kinda thing to ever happen. A theme park like any business will only spend money to make money...and that includes spending only what is required to keep the overall profit of the business at an acceptable level. Therefore attractions will only ever be added sparingly.

Edited by dr_teeth

Personally, I dont think it would be effective at all to build anything thats the tallest/fastest/strongest etc simply because there arent enough to people to care. It can be worthwhile doing in the US or Europe because there is a broader population where the ride is heard about, whereas down here its realy just our small population. And of course the record probably wont stand for more than a few years so you lose out in that respect. Theres also the maintenance and reliability issues that come with big rides. They should just save themselves the effort and build something good, because if a ride is good, its always good. Take Wipeout and the Claw for example, they hold no records and are both fairly low cost flat rides, yet they are still many peoples favourites

The last 3 lines of Gazza's post pretty much sum up my feelings on the whole record thing. Rather then the tallest, fastest, why not just focus on best? Superman has hype around it because its a good ride, not because its got the words "Tallest" and "Fastest" stamped all over it, and I think thats something people here really need to have a look at. All DW needs coaster-wise is a smooth, fun coaster with a creative layout. If they can do that, then they'll be pretty set for a while.

Dr_teeth, don't twist my words buddy. How can you say or define a major attraction anyway? And even if you knew, you haven't read the article properly anyway. Dreamworld's plan, ontop of other things, to almost double the park's size within the next decade. This will exclude outside projects i.e. CityWalk, Resorts, Monorails etc. And yes, over the next ten years Dreamworld DOES plan to add in several major attraction, because a part of that article did clearly say that "over 270 million dollars will be dedicated to the general upgrade" meaning "a large portion of these funds will be directly spent on new attractions and expansion." I mean, do you honestly expect the park's ticket prices to stay the same for the next ten years anyway? Just look at Disney's prices for example, a bit steep but still within most customer's price range. Oh, and one other thing before you start entering the "pointless fact zone" dr_teeth, Brisbane and the Gold Coast repsectively currently have the largest expected growth of any city in Australia. If you have read other threads about the exact same thing, (try "search") you will note that by the time the park has finished fully expanding, the actual net worth will be the equivalent to any Disney style park of the same size, meaning Queensland will be one of the first destinations in Australia that will actually support large scale parks. Next.

I can't see much happening on the land Big Brother is on, coasterwise, simply because it is likely Dreamworld/Maquarie Leisure will use the land for CityWalk, a resort as well as some of the land being used as a residential area (according to Gold Coast City Council plans). Although this leaves lower expansion area, there is still the island, blue lagoon (maybe) and some on the other side of Oakey Creek, but towards the west. And theres always the carpark that they can relocate. Also they currently seem to be trying to be keeping the other parks in check - WnW announces they want a massive expansion, Dreamworld answers with a waterpark. But what does this mean is next? It seems that a rollercoaster is on the cards, but what type? As long as it is not wooden, I'll be all good with it.

Whats wrong with a woodie? Woodies are awsome ride. If you have ever ridden a 20 or so year old woodie overseas, then you'll know what i'm talking about. And also, the Big Dipper at LPS was also a pretty decent/ smooth ride before it was torn down. Think about how long it was up for, and indeed that it did also make a move from Glenelg, to Sydney.

Dr_teeth, don't twist my words buddy. How can you say or define a major attraction anyway?
Wow you sure ask the hard questions dont you.... Now im no Stephen Hawking, but a pretty good guess at what would define a major attracton to a them park would probably be left best defined in what has gone into australian theme parks over the last few years......say for example the claw or the soon to be opened superman escape. You know kinda theme parky kinda things.... If you have any other mind boggling questions please feel free to ask SK