Big Dipper Car, Markings, and Lots of Fun!

T-bone

Hey Everyone. I'll make this one short. On Sunday, 30th of November, I took a trip down to Luna Park Sydney. And what a shocking day weather wise, but hey, you can live with it. This was the first time I have been to Luna in about over a year. And indeed I did notice a few things. I did find some markings near the ranger, which I will post a picture of it. Is anyone able to translate them? There is a sign on the Big Dipper Building, which i'll let you take a look at for yourself. I hope it means something. I was also able to actually take a decent look around a restored carriage for the Big Dipper, which was intresting aswell, but was the ride officially a Fluro Yellow? Thats all I can think of now, so i'll leave you with the pictures to take a look at. Overall, I had a real good day, for free also (Goto Love Coles Myer) despite the rain, the staff & managment of the park estimated that around 6000 Coles Myer employee's and their families would turn up, and 2000 general public patrons. I'll let you do the maths. (Note, pictures soon, error with the boards: The requested file upload failed because suitable permissions have not been enabled on the 'uploads' directory. Please contact the board administrator and inform them of this error. Richo, can you be of assistance please.)

Was the original Big Dipper any good...or was it more like the POS Scenic Railway in Melb? Be awesome if it was still there, tho i doubt itd be open and operating nowdays...
Yes....the original wooden Big Dipper was a wonderful ride, it was also identical to the version that was at Melbourne's Luna Park. Steep drops & pleanty of air time....Such a pity that we have nothing like it now :(

Yikes the same as the one in Melb hey...Trying not to be over critical of the SR but its has to be the worst ride ive ever been on....i know i know that its like special and old and all that, but apart from that its got nothing, and makes the former bushbeast silky smooth by comparison
No.....It was the same as the other Big Dipper ride, not the SR, that USED to be in Melbournes Luna Park. Sydney never had a Secic Railway ride.

No.....It was the same as the other Big Dipper ride, not the SR, that USED to be in Melbournes Luna Park. Sydney never had a Secic Railway ride.
Ahh really??!! I know next to nothing about LPM anyway. Amazing what you learn isnt it Where on earth was the BD located? Like back in those days was the park bigger or did it still have the SR running round the whole outside

The Big Dipper Station was located where the metropolis is now! From the station it was on a slight incline and self propelled until u hit the motorised chain pull to take you up the hill. The first drop was quite extreme with a couple off head choppers throughout. The Big Dipper ran behind the building that originally housed The Whip downstairs and the Dodgems upstairs. I remember one night we were there, it was raining quite heavy and the brakeman (the brakes to the station were manually operated) forgot to engage, so we went flying through the station. I will say it was a very fast ride and one of the best experienced at LPM. Unfortunartely, the Scenic Railway is not what it used to be! Safety contrainsts have been applied with the second lap of the park being quite slow - i think this is due to the age of the ride ( and Workcover). I have many fond memories of LPM, as we used to go there alot

I suggest (if you don't have already) purchase the LPS DVD
Paul, I own the video doco done in LPS (an exellent production as I've stated previously) Is it now available in DVD format? If so, how much? I may have to upgrade. PS. Any update on Paul's picture upload problem Richard? Edited by Zamperla

It is now avliable on DvD, but not much more than the Video in terms of contents. It cost me 29.95 for the DVD, but I am quite impressed about it all, but unfortunatly only goes up to the 1995 Re-construction of the park, from when Prome Amusements wrecked the park for 2 Million. I do suggest they do re-make the DVD/ video, just to update it abit, and also include things such as the River Caves, and More Information on the Big Dipper, and many other rides. Anyway, pictures indeed. http://www.defunction.net/upload/Picture_124.jpg The new "SoundProofing" for Ranger. Damn Crazy Ride! http://www.defunction.net/upload/Picture_127.jpg Tumble Bug and.... Sign! http://www.defunction.net/upload/Picture_130.jpg Finally Repaired the Exit Sign! http://www.defunction.net/upload/Picture_173.jpg Big DIPPER Car - Sortof Yellowish. Was it originally like that? http://www.defunction.net/upload/Picture_140.jpg New Simulator, or new Paint? Owell, pretty ****house ride anyway! http://www.defunction.net/upload/Picture_120.jpg Man it was Wet - But you go for free on a specified day, or go at your own day, but pay. Which one would you choose? http://www.defunction.net/upload/Picture_119.jpg I took this photo, let me just say Cityrail Staff decided that they should keep their eye on me. I don't think they liked me taking that photo, don't know why, I am not a terroist or anything (Well I don't think so). There we go guys. Enjoy!

Oh yes, forgot about the markings. http://www.defunction.net/upload/Picture_161.jpg http://www.defunction.net/upload/Picture_162.jpg All rides apart from the Ferris Wheel were operating that day, and then the ferris wheel opened up at around lunch time, when the rain stopped or eased down for about half an hour. The Wild Mouse was indeed operational.

You struck a good day with Wild Mouse. On all 3 trips I've made to the park in recent years WM has been shut. In all probability, it looks like those markings are probably for a marquee tent, some sort of added dwelling for the corporate Xmas season. (last time I checked, the UFO chasis does not require pegs B) ) ...but something like this could well be a future give-away sign :)

Paul , the sign on the Tumblebug relates to nearly 12 months ago, when the park had extra rides for the Xmas holidays. Next to the Tumblebug at this time was placed a ride called the Twister( A kiddies ride). Whether the sign is indictative of plans to keep a rotating roster of rides next to the Tumblebug is up for debate but there is definitely room for another major ride there. IMHO they should put a spinning Wild Mouse Coaster up there and move the Tumblebug to a place on top of the carpark entrance which is currently a landscaped grass area. There would be room for 2 rides here I would think!! Interesting to know that the LPS history video is on DVD... will have to update also!!! Great!! The Simulator is the same that has been there since this current incarnation opened in April 04. I visited the park last school holidays when the park was celebrating its 70th anniversary. They had in the brassierie(still vacant!!!) a photo exhibition of over 200 pics of the park from all eras. There were quite a few shots that I have never seen before(especially of the Wildcat and the Calypso ride ,which was only shortlived in the park). These photos are not included in the Sam Marshall book, Just for Fun so they are quite unique. An excellent exhibition. I did take a photo of the Wildcat on my digital camera and it came out fairly well..I will see if I can upload it soon. As an aside the 2nd edition of Just for Fun by Sam Marshall is well worth forking your dollars for and is also different enough from the first edition to warrant getting. Excellent resource and you wont find a better starting point to discover the magic of Luna Park. Cheers Jobe

I didn't think the markings meant much, but I thought I might aswell share it with the community. :) Concerning the Simulator, I do believe last time It was blueish, now it is red. Has it just been re-painted, or something? Also, very funny to hear the General Public think the Big Dipper is inside the Big Top. Also, cheers to LPS for taking care of us Coles Myer Dudes, and giving us Free Fox Studio's Poncho's!

Edited by Paul_Hollibone

I bet they got a next-to-nothing deal on those poncho's after its closure. While on the topic of minor things on the grounds, there is a plaque in respect to the 7 people who lost their lives in the tragic Ghost Train fire of '79 which is on an orange wall just near a central ticket booth. (I have a a photo of it I may post if anyone is interested). Suprisingly it was re-made too, which the recent refurbishment. (I believe it replaced one after the 1995 upgrade)

I would like to see that one Zampy if possible. I would however like to know where abouts it is, as I did not see it. And just a little note, the rides I did not ride were the Tango Train, and Wildmouse (Lines TOOO Long). I got around to riding the ranger, and when someone says take your items outof your pocket, do as the op says, even if you are already caged up.