Wonderland Pictures and Info

Guest wonderland_sydney

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have to say I'm impressed with your knowledge about the Park - almost as good as mine. Just kidding!! I have only recently been made aware of this site and have enjoyed (not really the word because I have found it downright depressing) going over the photos etc. and the comments of all concerned. I started with the Park during construction in February 1985 and watched it being born and contributed to its birth and christening (I suppose mnemo would call it 'her') and all the way through puberty. I didn't last as long as mnemo - Sunway guys just too disgusting for words and I left to help one of the "old" GMs set up a new tourist attraction. I have a lot of memories from my years there - my children grew up and during construction and it in it's shut down periods would use the Park as a playground. Both of them eventually had seasonal work while studying. I still have many people in my life now that became friends as we worked alongside one another. So much of my life was put into Wonderland and so many hours; I cannot count the times I worked around the clock just to make sure everything was up and running and looking good for the guests, or as one of our colourful characters used to refer to them the 'punters'. All the wonderful events and concerts such as LASER, LIGHTS AND LEGENDS where, as part of the show, they tried to have a tree appear to explode when a laser struck it but during rehearsal night someone put a little too much explosive under the prop tree and blew the hell out of it; YOUNG TALENT TIME when traffic jams were caused from Walgrove Road through and onto the Great Western Highway. So many memories and stories. Making sandwiches for the Rides Maintenance guys as they worked around the clock to get a ride up and running for the next day because Fisher said it had to happen. How sad it makes me to drive by nowadays. I ventured in as far as the old back gate a year or so ago just to see what had happened. All the plaques for the trees planted by the Japanese tourists for the koalAs all but disappeared, although I did spot a couple. Wonder what happened to the outback area where we used to take the tourists for boomerang throwing and billy teas (I spent a Christmas morning out there once with a group of Japanese teenagers - the things we did). Just as an aside there was a fabulous Ball Bounce in HB and although the kids used to love it so did the staff for our parties - had some wild times in the ball bounce. I was the first woman to ride the Snowy River Rampage and the reason we had padded steering columns in the Jousting Ring after I had bruises all over my legs from a mad game of Dodgems with the Maintenance guys (during construction) who showed no mercy. Anyway, enough of this - nearly making me weep and definitely making me smile. Thanks again for what you have done - keep up the good work. I will have a look at some of the old photos I managed to grab as I quickly departed and see if I can load them on.

Great post shaz. Funnily enough the Outback Shed is about the only thing still standing. It was being used to store the Bush Beast and Beastie carriages, the bits of Endeavour plus the shipping containers containing bits of other rides. Those bits and pieces are now gone but the building is still standing. "The Bus is now leaving for Cut Out Camp, Victoria"

• 4 weeks later...

well welcome to me wonderland_sydney I have spent the last 4 days staring at your site ! congratulations to you and everyone who contributed to it. I have read just about everything about the closing of Wonderland and its treatment during the sunway years , very sad indeed :( I was overseas from 1998 until 2004 and I returned to sydney on April 28th !!! I was so sad I missed the closing but like i said - after reading about how much it had gone downhill especially in the last year of its life , I am sort of glad I did not go and see it like that . I went there sometime before the official opening day. It was for the media and my pop worked for the sun-mercury paper in sydney so we all went for the day. All food was free which was great for me hahaha I went on every ride than was there at the start, and even managed to convince my then 60 year old pop to go on the bush beast with me. My pop died not too long after (maybe a year) so the pictures of it all coming down are just so sad to me. and I am pretty sure the Bush Beast had nothing to do with his dying ! anyway I listened to the music on your page, is that from the sunway years because I don't remember hearing that crappy dance music from 85-95 or so .... I had met Kevin many a time as well , I was there alot but not as much as him !@ and I never kept track of the number of times I went on the rides though ... I remember when the titan turned up at wonderland. at expo 88 i had all day passes and went on titan about 50 times over 3 or 4 days and i was pretty happy to see it arrive aty wonderland even though it was "old news" to me... Supernova was another great coaster that they had at expo, it was nearly all underground in this huge building and it was cool ! I hope the roads are open soon and I can go and drive through the place. I was out there in about JUne and everything as far as I could se was still standing and then I saw all the demolition pics on your site which though VERY interesting are so sad... I just can't believe that it is all gone now... anyway I dont have any pics for you , I never wanted to be bothered carrying cameras when I was there , I have found one pic of me and my mate on the bush beast from the photo hut and will get that scanned at some point :) I never bought them, just always looked at the stupid things we did when we knew the camera was there , but I am glad I bought one at least fopr the memories ! anyway I am sure I have many more memories to share - jog my memory :) again congratulations on the site ! oh and the webchat doesn't seem to work ... cya bb

Edited by billyb67

Well the cashing in of Wonderland continues, I drove past today and noticed that they are stockpiling crushed concrete / brickwork which means they must have a temporary crushing plant there. This material will be sold by the ton as roadbase. It is near to the Abi/Leighton area and the stockpiles are quite high.
I wonder if the roads through the new business park will be be made up of this material ? We could be driving right over Wonderland soon enough if it is used...

Guest wonderland_sydney
http://wonderland.octiva.net/ Hello all, i am the owner of http://wonderland.octiva.net/ 1) I have not gone anywhere and i still very much am working on the site all be it slowly. 2) I am not paul nor am i connected to thrill history in anyway. 3) I have been very busy at work and this is the reason why i have not updated the site in a month or so. 4) Thankyou to everyone who uploaded pictures/music and info, I need more, anyone with pictures of wonderland of any form, use the upload section on the site http://wonderland.octiva.net/uploads/ 5) regarding the webchat, i will fix it toninght, i had no idea it was broken. Enjoy the site, and if you can contribute and upload stuff that would be great, thankyou.

cool good to hear from you :) I guess there isn't alot of new pics to put up since it is all down to huge piles of rubble now :) I am sorry I don't have any pics to contribute, In the million or so times I went there between 1987-1995 I don't think I ever once took a camera, I just never thought about capturing it, as we all thought it would always be there ... anyway looking forward to the next update and maybe organize a time and day for a chat in the chat room when its up and running :) thanks for all your work - it is greatly appreciated ! oh and did anyone ever make a rollercoaster tycoon wonderland ?

http://www.interchangepark.com.au/ has been updated since I last posted the link. Interestingly the development at this stage does not cover the all of the land that Wonderland did own it looks like they are just developing the car parks and the actual area of the park (theme and wildlife). "The Bus is now leaving for Changerup, Western Australia"

• 1 month later...

As this is my first post I would just like to say, I think that the site you have made in remembrance of Wonderland is fantastic. Me and my bf have tried to track the deconstruction of the park as much as we could from the motorway. But we had bugger all luck. You have some amazing pics there, It's upsetting to see the park like that after its closure. I've been to Wonderland many times, I will keep checking back to see the new stuff you add. Bravo!

Guest wonderland_sydney
http://wonderland.octiva.net/ More site updates. The site needs more pics, if you have pictures of wonderland.. Upload them to the site for everyone to see, or you can email wonderland@0day.audiobank.org if anyone wants to help out in anyway, email me Thankyou everyone for your pictures so far. wls

• 1 month later...
Guest wonderland_sydney
http://wonderland.octiva.net/ AKA http://----URL removed for non-compliance with Community Guidelines----.com/ More Site Updates, * Updated "A walk in the park June 2006" thanks to djsupersleuth for contributing this section :) * Two awsome new videos thanks to Wazza. :) * New video thanks to Wonderbuzz. * A few remianing pics from Degrabber are now up. * Two New Videos from Degrabber are now up (video from the last day) Site News. *New domain, ----URL removed for non-compliance with Community Guidelines----.com should be fully delageted and working soon. * ----URL removed for non-compliance with Community Guidelines---- page added. A BIG thankyou to Mickazee for donating the domain and the history page. * Soon to come, more video, more audio, and more before closure pics. * Should soon have the font package for the wonderland writing and also the font for the wonderland writing with the HB characters attached * May get spaceprobe construction pics/video * Waiting on some orignal 85 park music .. and much much much more..... Thankyou to everyone that has contributed to the site so far, its comming allong nice. i will post here on the next update... untill then.. Enjoy :) Edited by wonderland_sydney

• 2 weeks later...
Guest wonderland_sydney

More Wonderland History Site Updates... more then a name, the site can now be found at... http://----URL removed for non-compliance with Community Guidelines----.com/ http://www.----URL removed for non-compliance with Community Guidelines----.com/ http://wonderland.octiva.net/ :D AND a special supprise :)http://----URL removed for non-compliance with Community Guidelines----/ http://www.----URL removed for non-compliance with Community Guidelines----/ For a short time only we are testing out the very same domain name wonderland used, if it workes out and dont cost too much to maintain, we might just keep it...... Q). Whats the best way to reach the site? A). Glad you asked, http://www.----URL removed for non-compliance with Community Guidelines----.com/ Q). Whats your email? A). wonderland@----URL removed for non-compliance with Community Guidelines----.com Q). Why are you using ----URL removed for non-compliance with Community Guidelines----.com? A). Becasue it is a great name and it was donated to the site. Q). Why dont the chat room work for me? A). It works fine for 90% of people, if its not working for you, goto http://www.mirc.co.uk/ get your self a copy of mirc and use it to connect to efnet irc, once connected join #wonderland_sydney This is a much better way then using the java applet on the site... either or, take your pic and use whats best for you. Q). Why does the video play slow and choppy? A). Maby your internet connection cant keep up, or the video server is very busy.. just right click on the video link and save/download it to your computer. You will then be able to play the video smoothly any other questions.., email me, wonderland@----URL removed for non-compliance with Community Guidelines----.com excuse the typos, i am in a rush, have fun, and enjoy the new site updates

Definatley not, i worked on this one when my uncle owned it, this is the trailer mounted reverchon explorer that used to travel Australia with a few companys, it got exported to China brought back by Chants Amusements- Completely rebuilt, every single part of the ride got replaced it got a new back scenery, new triaxle airbag suspension, the only one in the world with a fully hydrolic leveling system. I could go on but i won't bore you. THIS IS DEFINATLEY NOT TASSIE DEVIL IT IS IN AN ENGINEERS IN MELBOURNE GETTING TRAILERISED. Cheers OZshowkid

Edited by ozshowkid

I know that this might be a bit off topic compared to the last few posts, but i guess it is relevant to this enormous thread's title! I have noticed the last few times that i have been driving up Walgrove rd that the demolishon crew have left one building standing. It is situated up around the back of LG and i can only ever get a clear view for a second (at 70kmh that is) Does anybody know what this building is? For all i know it could be a toilet, but between that or some mains point (eg power, water, gas) i cant think of why they left it there.