Breaking News: Dreamworld to build world class water park

Richard

I agree, It's a great adition to Dreamworld. But maybe, Just maybe. Dreamworld could maybe killing off Wet 'n' Wild, Then we'd only have 1 water park! Yes I understand it sounds alittle stupid, But American parks have water parks all over the place. This will be the first time in Wet 'n' Wild's history they'll have another water park to fight against! Ethier way I like the idea, But I don't know if it will be good! Also about the water idea, Wouldn't they just be able to pump the water from the existing water park section to the new one?

The water park will offer a range of new generation attractions never before seen in the Australian market, together with an expansive wave pool in a themed environment
One would imagine at least one of these new generation attractions would be a waterslide. And anyway it would hardly be a waterpark without slides.

"We research the market and provide attractions that will grow our critical mass, otherwise all we are doing is moving the same numbers around the theme parks, with the park boasting the newest attraction cannibalising the others.
Then what would you call the opening of Superman? Most of us have been to WnW during the summer season, and know what it is like as far as the crowds go and trying to get onto a ride/slide. The opening of a new park would allow for faster que times at both water parks, while giving the paying customer the choice of which park to go to. Also it would allow for a visiting family from out of state to visit both parks in one trip and get more out of their holiday. This would also go for any of our overseas friends on any trips to Australia and would allow for a greater Australian experience. My overall thoughts on the matter is that it is about time as it is long overdue....good work Dreamworld.

Then what would you call the opening of Superman?
Not to make a huge issue out of this, but what he means is building new stand alone attractions that bring NEW customers to the Gold Coast i.e. what WVTPs are doing with Paradise Country and Outback Spectacular. I think the argument John is making is comparable to the stuff DW has been saying about Westfield in Helensvale (and Vice Versa). The basic point being that competition won't make more customers, just divide those that are there. A new water park really, isn't significantly different from Wet 'n' Wild, and probably won't bring a huge number of new visitors to the coast. When WVTPs (or SW property trust) have built a new park it’s been different enough from the others to be draw in its own right, not a leech off other parks. Movieworld was a new kind of park, not a direct copy of DW or SW. It increased the length of stay on the Gold Coast, where as two water parks will be more of a one or the other decision. It'll be interesting to see if DWWP go with Dive-in-movies, or anything like that to go after WnW's extended trading. Having said that, I think all will work out good, as numbers to the Gold Coast are healthy, and I feel can support two water parks (particularly when bundled together, such as with a 3 park super pass and what I'll call a 2 park "excellent" pass).

I cannot see any reason for long-term negative effects of a second water park. I could only predict positive things for both parks and the Gold Coast as a whole. Five major theme parks to choose from? That kind of selection within such a close proximity doesn't exist anywhere in the world. Even within Orlando there are only four parks (Busch is an hour away and Disney is a similar distance by the time you actally get to a park). This kind of thing is advertising heaven. I agree Movie World started out as a very different thing from Dreamworld, but certainly in recent years it is becoming more and more similar to Dreamworld in terms of attraction offerings. Yes, they will always have the edge on Dreamworld with their superbly themed attractions, but make no mistake, they are trying to capture Dreamworld's lucrative thrill market. It just puzzles me to see criticism of what Dreamworld are doing - it's like the pot calling the kettle black.

Edited by Richard

Tens of thousands of Australians make their pilgrimage to the Gold Coasts four big theme parks but now competition’s about to get a lot tougher with a fifth park to be built in a move that some fear will cut their share of the tourist dollar By this time next year this vacant block next to Dreamworld will have a $56 million water park. Its developer and owner of Dreamworld insists the park will have attractions never seen in Australia before, including a wave pool similar to this one operating in Malaysia. The announcement caught the Gold Coast tourism industry off guard. Some are supportive. Pavan Bhatia Gold Coast Tourism CEO: “The more attractions we have the better it is for The Coast, the more choice people have and experiences at Coast attractions um we think it is a positive.” Others far from it. Warner Village Theme Parks say their disappointed. They claim the new water park will only be a duplication of what they already have at their park, Wet ‘n Wild. Some fear numbers will drop but the cities Mayor isn’t convinced. Ron Clarke: Gold Coast Mayor: Competition is never a problem the Gold Coast has enough tourists to go around for everybody. To ensure their survival the existing parks are fighting back between Seaworld, Wet ‘n Wild, Movieworld, and its off shoot Australian Outback Spectacular there’s $110 million being outlaid into new attractions. There’s new slides, a new ride and new shows, and they’ll all be operating long before the Dreamworld water park opens its doors. Pavan Bhatia Gold Coast Tourism CEO: “The biggest winner is the visitor to the Gold Coast, they come from overseas, or they come from interstate.” On the Gold Coast Josh Ansett, Seven News.
This was on Channel 7 10:30 news this morning. I managed to type it up when it was on. "The Bus is now leaving for 7 Mile Pool, Western Australia"

Jeeze, fast typing there Bussy, good work. So was the wave pool shown the one at Sunway Lagoon? And how do WNW know for sure that DWWP is going ot be a duplication? Have they seen the plan? for all they know it could be radically different, theres even a possibility for the park to be worse than WnW. And anyway, complaining about it wont help. Its the card they have been dealt so they will just have to deal with it.

I believe the wave pool they showed was the one at Sunway. The footage was of a surfer riding a 4' wave for a while, the background looked very similar to the photos of the place I just googled and I’m guessing there aren't too many wave pools with the 'carved' stone surrounds in Malaysia. "The Bus is now leaving for Breaking Wave, South Australia"

I think WVTP meant that there is already a water park in Australia so why make one? I dont think Dreamworld are doing a terrible thing..WNW is the premier water park in Australia but maybe if they have competition they might actually introduce more slides more often or something. I agree with the mayor though there are plenty of people on the GC to accomodate two water parks..I mean there are three theme/thrill parks and people dont complain so whats the difference? sure DW is like a fish out of water with this water park but they arent complete strangers to water parks..they've had blue lagoon for awhile and kept it going ok.