The Ground At Wet 'n' Wild

I haven't been to Wet 'n' Wild for quite a while, mainly because it was coming down to summer, but also because if anyone else hadn't noticed, the concrete ground there is extremely hot. The mixture of the sun beaming down on you all day, concrete and water isn't a good mix and match. The only thing that stops your feet getting blisters is if it's a rainy day. Yeah, good idea to go to Wet 'n' Wild on a rainy day, huh? There is one other way, which I found out, and that's to wear thongs or shoes. Wow, another good idea for going to Wet 'n' Wild! What is the point of wearing shoes or even thongs if all you're going to do is go on water rides or in the pools? I think, though it may be an expensive solution, that Wet 'n' Wild staff have a look at what they cover the ground with. What about everyone else?

They could solve this problem in a number of ways: -Using a path cooling system that sprays water on to the paths to remove heat (Some waterparks have this) -Using materials that are poor conductors of heat (such as timber decking or marine carpet) -Shading the footpaths -Providing an alternative to walking.

There are a number of problems, though, with each of your suggestions. Firstly, to use a path cooling system that uses water would automatically mean more water usage, and there are signs posted throughout the park that say that Wet 'n' Wild is trying to minimize water usage, even if it is recycled water. And with the drought around the Gold Coast region, it's not a suprise that that idea would not be a good alternative. Secondly, like I said in the very first post, it would cost a reasonable amount of money to cover the ground of Wet 'n' Wild with a poor conductor of heat-well, really, with any flooring whatsoever! Shading the footpaths also makes a problem arise, as there needs to be some sort of covering to shade them. Unfortunately, this costs money and is useless for a nice, sunny, watery park. And covering all the cement with shady material would take ages and make the park a less sunny place to go. Finally, providing an alternative to walking would also cost a lot of money, and given the attendance numbers at Wet 'n' Wild, it would not be wise to try to have alternative travel for everyone. Any other ideas?

Yeah, it does seem a little odd to complain about it, then shoot down any suggestions about hypothetical ways they could fix it. I agree that the first suggestion would not be appropriate given the water conditions here, but shooting down the others because they cost money? I don't quite understand why you'd complain if you didn't want to promote a conversation about possible solutions. Of course any fix to this would cost money! I think one solution is to put in many more plants and bigger (rainforest) trees to provide natural and aethetically pleasing shading. I can't say I'm a fan of the cheap shadecloth style that this cancer-hating society seems to love.

i like the idea of resurfacing the pathways. The area surrounding the wavepool is covered in AstroTurf. Something similar along the paths would cost money, but would be ideal. Or better yet, if we're trying to be cost effective - the paths are generally quite wide in most places. Why not run a strip (say - 1 metre wide) down one side of the pathways. If you have sensitive feet, stick to the astro turf. if you're thick skinned.... LESS CROWDED PATHWAY!!! Sounds like win-win to me...

There is a heavy duty rubber based system that is made out of recycled tyres that have been utilised by some local councils. It can be coloured to blend in with theming requirements. As it is rubber based, it reduces the risk of injury from falls, as it is waterproof and skid resistance. It is reasonably flexible in its application to pathways and can be used to cover extensive areas.

• 4 weeks later...

It may get hot, but it does not get half as hot as the cement that is currently covering the ground. Apparently, there has been a group of people living in Brisbane that have signed a petition to try to get WnW to review the ground, but according to sources (those of which cannot be disclosed for legal reasons!?*), the park immediately said 'no' and when the angry group stormed (actually, when they walked) in, they did not get anywhere and after a long verbal battle with staff and management (note I said verbal battle), they ended up going seperate ways and spending a day at the park. *All I can say is that this source was an Australian newspaper.

I think the sand/seal/paint layer over standard cement (like what The Claw has) is a great idea considering the sand gives the concrete grip when its wet, it keeps the cement cool and the colour scheme (again like what The claw has) is very aesthetically pleasing. The only downer about this stuff would be that you'd need decent paint for it to properly last a long while i.e. longer then what The Claw's ride paint and sorrounding paintjob has lasted for.

• 2 weeks later...

Funny you should mention rubarok, it is what they have used in bucaneer bay to cover the ground, and yes it is cooler. One idea i have thought would be cool to have would be to have the queue line for slides in what is basically a wading pool, so you would just stand in 30 cm deep water with sprayers above.