First Time On The Claw

clone_tk422

My work held their staff xmas party at D/World last week and it was the first time to go to Dreamworld for a couple of years (except when going to Big Brother evictions) Anyway it was the first time to experience the Claw and I have to say it rocks!! I reckon it could be the best ride of the park.. By the way i thought the Wipeout and the Reef Diver are starting to age a bit, both making a few noticeable old age noises - creaking etc.. maybe these wont be around much longer?? Also does anyone know if the Dodgem Car track has been moved or re-sized?? I was sure it used to be huge with about 15 cars or so.. Now it looks no bigger than the one you see at your local carnival?? Anyone have any ideas if it was downsized in the last couple of years?? Other than that cant wait to go on the claw again.. I read somewhere how smooth someone said it was and it is . except on the west swing (towards the pacific hwy) It felt as if the where the main arm is attached to the main structure that this section is flexible?? ie when i swung the east side its like a swing back and forth but when it swung towards the west you could feel the arm a little bit jiggly and you could hear it as well.. eg it wasnt swinging perfectly on its axis on the west swing it sort of vibrates a bit?? is this normal

The dodgem sized has never changed, nor have any of the cars been sold or thrown away, unless they were stuffed of course, but might've been one or two, not 15. Capacity on that ride is bad enough without making it smaller dude. Also, while Wipeout won't be replaced for quite some time, in fact, a long, long time, I've noticed some very suss noises coming out of the axles on both arms of the Wipeout, but uhh... here's hoping that it's just Wipeout being graceful in its old age. :) On a last note, I don't think you can have one side on the claw i.e. "the west wing" that is constantly "wobbly" when the ride spins. However, at some points of the ride such as the first braked swing and the first and second push there is some additional force placed on the engine, resulting in a fairly natural vibration if that's what you're referring to. And yes, when this happens, it's loud. :D

Are you referring to that big BANG and it makes a clunky kind of noise afterwards? that scared the heck outta me the first time..it was like the ride broke down but you kind of look forward to hearing it after a few rides..like you swing east than west and your like "here it comes.." and there it goes. I was scared the first time..enjoyed it alot but as we were in the line up the restraits failed to open so my brother and I were like "there is no way we are getting on that!" and went to the cyclone instead but when we went back a day or two later we went on it and it was very very cool..best view..minus that afternoon sun in your eyes. Definately one of the best rides at the park. Took a few goes to get up the confidence to let go fully and put my arms in the air but when your facing the ground on a ride you know hardly anything about you kind of do tend to worry. I think the wipeout is just old..I read on a site last night that it use to be "very quiet, more quiet than a mouse" but with age rides make more noise and get more rougher like the Tunderbolt I hope if they were to replace it they put another younger wipeout in its place..I love it..hate that slow swing towards the end but it's a great ride..wish the melb show brang one of those in again.

i gotta admite the claw is awsome and it does get stressed out during it's daily run.I have herd this big "bang" and i even wanted to know what it is.The vibrations are only due to powering up and down at the arm "flexes".When i went wipout was down and i was angry but you would see the amount of work being done.All seats where removed and motors where being inspected i think the old girl is showing her age.

From what I've seen over the last several years is that complete and thorough ride inspections is generally the norm for Wipeout during annual maintenance now. Like what you saw, this would include tieing down each arm using high strength steel cables and taking apart the carriage and whatnot. Personally I don't mind the vibrations and whatnot on the ride as it definitely gives the ride a character and a bit of wildness which definitely freaks out some guests, however what I've always thought was weird was how much noise the drop floors make. Even the Ride Trade Gyro Swing over in Lotte World doesn't make as much noise as Dreamworld's does.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say that I have noticed the noises that the Wipeout makes, but as long as Dreamworld staff do their bit to keep the old girl in good condition, I don't think there will ever be an end to its magic. On the topic of The Claw's "bump", and Mrmoon427's quote "it does get stressed out during it's daily run". The Claw runs on the same amount of energy every cycle, every swing & every spin. The Claw cannot get "stressed out".

Edited by The Theme Park Master

I have to say that I have noticed the noises that the Wipeout makes, but as long as Dreamworld staff do their bit to keep the old girl in good condition, I don't think there will ever be an end to its magic. On the topic of The Claw's "bump", and Mrmoon427's quote "it does get stressed out during it's daily run". The Claw runs on the same amount of energy every cycle, every swing & every spin. The Claw cannot get "stressed out".
ur scaring me :unsure: now im gonna go on it and think its gonna blow me up , the claw is good i went on it 5 days after it opened and it is loud u can hear it from nick central , on that day i went to go on it at luch and they said it was closed for an hour to cool down or something and i said why , they said its the first time they have tryed something like this and they said they had to keep an eye on it and see if its fine and check up on it , thats what they said Edited by aidan

On the topic of The Claw's "bump", and Mrmoon427's quote "it does get stressed out during it's daily run". The Claw runs on the same amount of energy every cycle, every swing & every spin. The Claw cannot get "stressed out".
What do you mean it can't get stressed out? Every spin , swing may run the same but after every cycle it would be more "stressed" then the one before. Just think about the stress on the 4 support poles when the arm swings (and motor, gears) all that weight, what about where the gondola joins the arm (where it spins). I don't know what you talking about, is there another "stress"

Claw ey. I remember four things about that ride 1: They stole the name from the real Claw, the travelling version (which actually looks like a claw) 2: It was absurdly smooth & graceful and the rotation had just the right speed. 3: Much like the area near the Giant Drop, it stank really bad. Kinda like bad cooking oil. 4: Coming down from the apex facing the direction of the swing was awesome. Apart from the stench, 'twas great.

Lol, funny you should say about that stench.... Yeah, definitely my favourite part of the ride is when you're looking straight ahead as you swing down. If you want a good sneak peak at what I mean make sure to grab the seats closest to the main ride booth, they'll get you to that magical place I call "airtime" the quickest. :D