Work commences on the Dreamworld Water Park

Richard

I haven't been down there recently to see at what extent this construction has done to the entrance building, but from what it looks like, it might just be a small building refitting and queue system re-design, which means definitely around the start of January, but if its something much more major, chances are this could pan out to be a small time consuming process. Richard, was there any interior demolition or is the main work going on the exterior of the buildings and removal of the old ticket booths?

• 2 months later...

Here is some more info about the waterpark:

Construction of Dreamworld Waterpark commenced after development approval was secured in December 2005. Watpac has been appointed as the construction manager with all major ride inventory ordered for installation mid 2006. The Waterpark provides an exciting opportunity to grow the Dreamworld business by introducing a range of innovative two and three day packages targeting the domestic family market. In line with the Group’s broader strategy, the Waterpark will focus almost exclusively on domestic business with only six per cent of revenues anticipated to come from international markets.

was at DW for a little while today, all i can say is....how small do they wanna make the water park. with the new carpark being built up to the temp fencing they have placed up. there is now the block of land were its going. It is fenced now from cylone end (were staff entry is) to just past the end of the cyclone(helix) this is not a very big space at all...ADD to this we need a front entrance to the park. I just cant see much being able to go in the space, especially if we see a wave pool wnw size, there deffinatley wont be much room at all.

They are def doing something on the old Thunderbolt site, when we were walking off the Cyclone we went down the emergency exit (stuff walking right around when you have a short cut haha) and there was some constructionworkers there..although they were just standing around staring at us walking down the stairs so my friend and I said "how's it going mate? having fun standing round doing nothing?" and they were like "having fun going on all the nice rides?" which we of course said absolutely..but still..def something going on in there. The car park is coming along ok, gonna be huge by the time it's finished though which is a good thing. On the topic of the cyclone line up, we walked right up to level 1 when we went on it, waited about 10 mins maybe 15 (guy was sooo slow though) and my friends were just getting inside as the guy was letting people in so they didn't even have to wait and this was at about 1-ish.

Edited by lisalila