Sunrise at Dreamworld

willsy

^ What do you mean" Do i know why"? Umm maybe because they are doing it live from there, I think it is pretty simple to understand, And of course DW will be open, how else they going to do it?? There is like 150 passes to be won to go there for the show and ride the rides. www.seven.com.au/sunrise

The pod, looked as if it went higher then it really does. Does it really need more explanation? They made it out to go a lot faster (at one point Kochie said it goes 165kph), and higher up the tower then it really does. And the camera shot which showed it going up the tower looked to be somewhere around where the Wipeout was. No amount of severe angling from there could make it seem like it's gone up a lot higher then it really has. Sure, if they had the camera sitting at the bottom of the tower then the angle would make a difference, but from this angle, no. Simply no. Perhaps they ran it at a higher speed because it was on TV. People see how high it goes on TV, and then they think "wow!", then when they get there it barely reaches halfway. Not that I'm complaining about how high it goes, I love the Tower of Terror, but for some who've never seen it before, it could be misleading.

• 3 weeks later...

I think it is a camera angle thing. I work with TV cameras etc and I can tell you that it does make a hell of a lot of difference if you put the camera to one angle or at a certain point around something. How do you think they make all those "really high" buildings in America look high? They put the camera at the right angle to make it look high. No different with the Tower of Terror.

at one point Kochie said it goes 165kph
Let's ponder over why he said that? Because that's how fast it goes! When I came out of the Tower of Terror when I went on it the second time, it said our top speed had been 163.5km/h. That, as long as I can still mathematically think, is very close to 165km/h. But then again, you know what they say. "Every k over is a killer."

• 2 weeks later...

Um, it really depends on the weight of the people inside the car. If there is 1 or 2 people in the car it'll stop about 1/2 to 1 metre from the end of the track if the car is full of heavy people it'll stop about half way up the track. That's from the staff at Dreamworld, sometimes at the end of the day they will send up only a couple of people.

If the display was reading 163.5 kmh then the display wasn't working, which I don't find all that hard to beleive. On my 17 rides on TOT I've never seen it go over 157kmh, and Dreamworld have actually said before that they prefer to keep the speed lower then it's capable of, for safety reasons. If I'm wrong in any instance I'm sure Slick will correct me :)

I think it is a camera angle thing. I work with TV cameras etc and I can tell you that it does make a hell of a lot of difference if you put the camera to one angle or at a certain point around something. How do you think they make all those "really high" buildings in America look high? They put the camera at the right angle to make it look high. No different with the Tower of Terror.
Firstly, the Tower of Terror, from what I've seen and heard hasn't gone over 160kph in years. And indeed, it may have been true that the pod went that fast on the day that they were there, however (and it doesn't take a genius to understand this) there is no chance that it is going to operate that fast when average joe goes there for his holiday. Dreamworld may have let it go slightly faster whilst a TV crew was there to entice people not in the know-how to come there and ride the 165kph roller-coaster! When Jane and Joe arive there with their children, they find out they only went 157kph and feel all bummed out. Of course normal people wouldn't care because the ride is a great experience, but it is slightly misleading. Now, as for the quote that I supplied from the camera expert, theme park expert and mathematics expert. You think it is a camera angle thing, well done ol son, well done, good thinking. Unfortunately you aren't too good at reading because I've already said that the camera wasn't at a position at the base of the tower, like this: gallery1967jv.jpg (I couldn't be bothered to look for an image like that of a roller-coaster, so I used your skyscraper idea.) This is a picture of the Transamerica Tower from GTA San Andreas, with the camera positioned at the bottom of the tower to make it look absurdly tall. Now, in the Sunrise show the camera wasn't down there, the camera was set up in a place that looked to be on the Cyclone Lift hill, although that's obviously not true, it gives a good indication of which part of the park the camera was set up in. So instead of giving off the illusion of a huge height, it looked more or less like the standard ol Tower of Terror, much like this image: gallerynormal6ux.jpg The black arrow indicates the rough position that the pod normally reaches, the red arrow indicates the rough position that the pod reached on the Sunrise show. As I said before, it wasn't the camera angle that made the difference, Dr. Camera expert :rolleyes: