Mach V Attraction Review

clone_tk422

Went to the park on 21/1 - opening day for Mach V. Ill start off by admitting I didnt try the freefall slides as I was too chicken also the 1 hour wait time to get on also contributed so I would like to kick this forum off by reviewing the new Sidewinder slide and others can contribute with their reviews as well as reviews of the freefall slides. In my defence, I have tried the freefall slide at seaworld and that was nearly a bit much for me as I am not a fan of freefalling.. Anyways I reckon the middle freefall slide is half again as high as the seaworld one and trust me when you see it with your own eyes, its bloody high!!.. Secondly this is my first time to the park in 10 years and the last time I went, the only attractions were twister, super 8 aqua racer, white water mountain, double screamer and the wave pool so I preferred to spend my time queueing for the rides I have never been on. I said to myself if they had the freefall slides open during the dive in movie and the line got shorter I would try it but it closed.. Ok so now with the review. I am not much of a critic so I didnt take note of many details such as the colouring etc.. The things that stood out most for me are: 1) the queue for the ride was a bit unorganised but this may change since the rides are new and they may have plans to build more wait areas but yesterday there is only a small but sectioned off where you can wait to get the tube you ride on, and after that there is only open space and people were just forming a line wherever they felt like 2) The stairs on the way up are far too skinny. You are sharing the stairs with the people queueing for freefall and you have to get yourself up carrying the tube which is much longer than the ones used for terror canyon so negotiating around corners is a bit tricky but still I think some more thought could have been done here mind you I didnt find the system of the terror canyons much better forming a double line for each ride with each rider having a tube 3) They only had one half of the ride operating and only 2 of the 3 freefall slides but this didnt mean a long queue time which I was suprised about. Given that the rides are new I expected them to have the longest wait times but it only took 10 minutes to get on. Terror Canyon 1 was still the longest queue of the day. 4) Well theres not much to tell except the ride itself which I didnt think was all that extreme. You are just in a tube and basically theres a lot of spiralling. you dont go up the sides of the slides as much as you do in mammoth falls but you do get a fair but of speed up on the ride and thats kind of fun. The ride claims to be the longest or whatever but looking at it and riding it, it really doesnt feel that long. I will go on it again i guess it doesnt help I hadnt been on the other rides before so I preferred to spend my time going on those again but next time I go back I would ride on this one a couple of times but I still think terror canyon 1 is the best ride for me in the park Well in summary the ride isnt bad, certainly does help with capacity problems, but I think this sort of ride a tube ride has already been done to death in the park what with the speed coaster, terror canyon and mammoth falls. I do think the freefall slides fit in with the extreme theme and so will the black hole. I am looking forward to the tornado which is meant to be open by September but I think this will be more like a fun ride rather than a thrill ride. Well thats it, I did manage to speak to the lifeguard on the super 8 aqua racer and he said he has already been on the freefall slides and his comments were he reckons the outside ones are much worse because you get more airtime where youre praying you land back on the slide!! Please keep adding with your own reviews

• 1 month later...
2) The stairs on the way up are far too skinny. You are sharing the stairs with the people queueing for freefall and you have to get yourself up carrying the tube which is much longer than the ones used for terror canyon so negotiating around corners is a bit tricky but still I think some more thought could have been done here
I agree with that, I can understand that making two stairs for both sections will cost more money but it was just so hard to go around the corner with the tube and try and not hit people with it at the same time (which failed terribly). The line up to go on the sidewinder is good..except when a tube comes down you get a big wave of water at you but hey if its hot who's complaining..unless of course your only 4'11 and you gotta grab onto something or someone to stop yourself from falling over like moi.
4) Well theres not much to tell except the ride itself which I didnt think was all that extreme. You are just in a tube and basically theres a lot of spiralling. you dont go up the sides of the slides as much as you do in mammoth falls but you do get a fair but of speed up on the ride and thats kind of fun. The ride claims to be the longest or whatever but looking at it and riding it, it really doesnt feel that long. I will go on it again i guess it doesnt help I hadnt been on the other rides before so I preferred to spend my time going on those again but next time I go back I would ride on this one a couple of times but I still think terror canyon 1 is the best ride for me in the park
I didn't think it was that bad either, definately not as extreame as mammonth falls but we did get a nice thrill from it going from each side to side and almost tipping over but definalye not as thrill seeking as mammonth falls. I do like how you can load two tubes at a time on each slide so that saves some time but the line up on the stairs need's to be worked on because it's just hard trying to get past the freefall riders without hitting them with the tube. Just to add a review of the black hole in here..it was really good, the walk up wasnt as bad as mach V and mammonth falls (was actually quite quick) and we just walked right in from the que line as there wasnt even a line up until we came out. As we were walking up a lifeguard was walking behind my brother and sister as he was coming on shift there..which was so annoying because they sent my brother and sister off and my friend and I were waiting in the other slide and we sat there for 3-4 mins while the guy debreffed the other guy and so there was a huge line up by this time (which is why there was a line up at the que line as the tubes are usually just sitting there against the pole) finally he let us go and man oh man it was so awesome! almost capsized but that's half the fun. It's about as good as Terror Canyon..loved the bit where you go from one corner to the other and you can't see anything so you almost capsize.

Ill start off by admitting I didnt try the freefall slides as I was too chicken also the 1 hour wait time to get on also contributed so I would like to kick this forum off by reviewing the new Sidewinder slide and others can contribute with their reviews as well as reviews of the freefall slides.
I went there on the day that Toasted TV was there. (I cant remember when but I remember seeing people from 10.) And I rode all of the slides and I loved them all but freefall are the best! You finally reach the top and you are all puffed from the stairs. (The line wasn't too bad as it was the first thing we did.) And we were looking at them trying to decide which 1 to do. I decided to give the ones on the side ago first cause they looked awesome and weren't all freefall. Both my friends did the middle first up but I have to say the sides were so much more fun. (I ended up doing them both!) You ride it like you do on the twister, legs crossed and hands behign your head. You sit down anxiously waiting for the lifeguard to let you go and then you're off! As you go over the first two hills you get so much speed you can feel the water tearing up your back and you wonder if it's safe or not. Then you hit the freefall section and instead of going straight down like intended, you go flying forward, out of control before re-uniting with the slide. The last bit is so damn good and you're thinking whoa this is awesome, and then you go flying along back in a horizontal position as the ride ends. I did it again 5 times! As for the other one, it's more a one ride, damn that was crazy, I don't think I'll do that one again today. You are even more nervous this time and as you go down the first little drop anxiety kicks in. You then begin the steep descent and after few seconds, you begin to think, oh no, this thing is going really fast and because you're not looking down you don't notice that you're only halfway there! You keep getting faster and faster and you wonder when it's going to end. Finally, it's all over and you begin to relax. The ride is so intense most people uncross their legs halfway down accidentally but the result of hitting the water with your legs wide open.... well it would be painful. Anyway, they are all great rides and loads of fun the sidewinder slides aren't exactly extreme and the middle freefall slide is extremely intense but you'll always regret not doing them at the end of the day!

My brother was going to go on the middle freefall ride but he chickened out. Not really fun watching the people go down and coming off the slide..I'm def too chicken to try those slides..be scared I'll fall to my death. They could Gazza but that'll cost them money ;) I do like how those rafts hold three people instead of two like Terror Canyon so they got something right there I guess.

• 1 year later...

Even though this is an old topic, I made a little discovery that can help you get more out of these slides (and twister for that matter) not really worth starting a new topic, but i feel I should share it. Anyway, I'm sure a lot of people like these slides, but don't enjoy the water spraying into your face at high speed. But I found out (and I wish I knew this earlier) that if you simply lift your feet 10cm or so off the slide then there is basically no water in your face, so you are free to enjoy the visual effect of speeding down the chute and seeing the ground rushing up. Naturally though you will want to put your feet down just before the end to avoid a wedgie, but otherwise you are fine. I wound up re-riding Twister and the Jet Steams many times because of this new found enjoyment. Oh, and back to the topic, I ended up doing both of them several times each, they weren't that scary, though the outside ones were better because of the airtime.

Mach V... the center slides, I have seen so many accidents on this. Last time I was there I saw SIX children get off this ride crying, not because they were scared... because they got airborn and smacked there head on the slide. I however really like it though, even if you do end up with welts on your back afterwards:)

I love the side ones, I've seen lots of people graze their elbows on the sides. Do they still tell you to put your hands behind you head or is it across your chest on your shoulders as many US Parks instruct? It'd solve the grazed elbow problem anyway...