Wipeout is Aging

Is the Wipeout Too Old?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Is The Wipeout Too Old?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Care

I know there have been previous posts about this, but the Wipeout, boy, it's definetely aging. And it's not just the blasting noise from her engines that shhow the obvious wrinkling, it's the rust, speed, rotations...whatever it had 10 years ago, it has either got little of or none of now. Firstly, and the most recognisable difference between then and now is the noise. God, it's got some noise with it now. The brakes kicking in when they need to is the worst part. Secondly, if you have a good look at the engines of the ride, it is very, very rusty. I have a friend who refuses to go on the Wipeout purely because of the rust. Also, the speed has decreased by a massive proportion. I would say it goes at least 5km/h slower. Have a good look at it. You should notice it too.

After accidentally voting 'yes' in the above poll (I was answering the question 'Should the Wipeout still be operating?'), I think that the Wipeout is a great ride and I'm confident that Dreamworld's maintenance department are doing a good-enough job to keep it operating in a fun and safe manner.

IMO, Wipeout is Still as Fun as Ever, I think the ride is getting more gracefull with age, I LOVE the noises the ride makes. But They still need to figure out the Docking Issues, it isn't allways docking properly, But it has improved, as No Op's have had to JUMP on the Gondola to make it a bit more leveled out. I Think Wipeout prob has about 5-10 Years of life left at least, as it still rakes in the crowds. But, If you have a serve of Curly Fries and a Super Size Coke, Then do about 10 rides in a row, the ride is not very fun. Paul/ Scott Got to wittiness that. lol, so Any questions about the end result lol, You Know who to ask. lol.

• 1 month later...

Family members came up from victoria back in 2003 and we spent a few days there, ive been on similar rides before but never the exact one at DW. I didnt like it at all, simply because i didnt feel the overhead restraint was working correctly, it was so loose fitting it actually allowed me to move around in my seat, especially while inverted twisting (legs would slide forward a good 3 inches, making me feel like i was going to fall out). I was never in any danger of falling out (simply due to the restraint mechanism), but the movement was bad enough to make me pin my forearms against the metal handles on the sides to try and keep me pushed flat back against the seat (so much so i actually managed to break the skin and end up with bruises in the shape of the metal handles which lasted about a week) . I spoke to the attendant (though i dont think he probably knew a whole lot) when the ride finished, told him my problem, asked him if they were to lock down to certain tension, so basically when it is overcome the restraints stop, he gave me a simple reply i expected (saying they were). Ive since spoken to someone who knows the rides in a little more detail and the problem can be experienced by people with large chests. Being the bulk of the upper body provides resistance to the restraint, but due to the difference in size the lower body doesnt feel like it is correctly supported. When you go inverted, and especially with twisting forces pushing you against the seat, your body mass shifts and can make for quite a bit of movement which can leave you feeling like i did. I loved the ride, being upside down was cool, just hanging there, reaching the top of the rotation and spinning through wasnt so great though, if it could have just been a little tighter it would have been a great time. Noise doesnt bother me at all, i actually think its pretty cool hearing it go through the motions, you are bound to get rust forming because of the parks location to the inlet in coomera. Whole place gets bombarded by salt, only have to look at the state of the thunderbolt in its last years to see the damage it causes. Short of recoating the whole lot, you probably arent going to be able to protect the metal as well as you could. Just have to chip/grind/blast it off and seal it when you do maintenance, nothing wrong with that.

Edited by Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter, I had the same issue on my first ride on Wipeout, After a few rides (5-10) You get used to it, I was really scared that I was going to fall out on it, But I then talked to the ride op, and he told me, It feels like that on the first few rides, but you then get used to it, and hey you do! I also think me being scared S**tless of the ride, contributed to it, me freaking out as the harnesses come down, and then as the gates move away. Well let's just say I put on a nice show for the guests :D Now it is in my top 5 Rides list, coming 2nd with Superman First, Bermuda 3rd, Claw 4 and Scooby Doo as number 5.

It wasnt a feeling, i was actually sliding out the bottom of my seat. Ive been on similar rides before, like the lex luthor ride at six flags new orleans when we were there recently (though its a different manufacturer i think), its definately not a normal feeling :) Major difference has been me (lost weight/mass), it was a totally different ride, i know the free fall feeling you get, but this wasnt just that, my legs were actually moving out across the platform edge, when we went back over i would pull my legs back in and push myself back up into the seat properly to get ready for the next inversion. Edit: Its nothing against the ride at all or anything against how DW operate it, i havent been back on it since then, so i might find things fit a little better now and it might keep me in the seat. When they release a ride i want to go on (come on, give us a new coaster), ill go back and try it again.

Edited by Mad Hatter

That would have been a Huss Top Spin, This is a Vekoma Ride, They are similar but then again, completly different, as one arm can rotate the other way, creating a sensation completly different. Otherwise, did you have your chest out when the restraints were coming down? that would have locked it a bit above your chest, and once the lock cycle is complete, it won't lower untill mid ride, as it is designed to. I often have my chest out a little bit so it doesn't hurt throughout the ride. But by the time it gets to the inverting, it is loose enough to be comfortable but, holding you in securley. That is all I can think of, that is why they have and secondary restraint :)

That would have been a Huss Top Spin, This is a Vekoma Ride, They are similar but then again, completly different, as one arm can rotate the other way, creating a sensation completly different. Otherwise, did you have your chest out when the restraints were coming down? that would have locked it a bit above your chest, and once the lock cycle is complete, it won't lower untill mid ride, as it is designed to. I often have my chest out a little bit so it doesn't hurt throughout the ride. But by the time it gets to the inverting, it is loose enough to be comfortable but, holding you in securley. That is all I can think of, that is why they have and secondary restraint :)
Think you will find it is a zamperla wind shear (which i believe is similar to the vekoma built wipeout, big difference being the carriage, seats are stacked rather than back to back), maybe you were thinking of the huss rides used at movieworld instead?. On the zamperla ride its arms operate seperately just like the wipeout can. It does 2 full revolutions at the start with the arms operating seperately (its rather brief actually the program is kinda boring from then on), then they are locked in place when you loop till the end of the program. Even the pauses while inverted are like the wipeout, same with when the carriage rolls while suspended, even the reverse suspension, its very much the same feeling, but the restraint system (which is similar) held me in place better while inverted. Chest out? lol no, i wasnt about to puff my chest out, short of taking a massive deep breath i dont even know how. It didnt appear to change through the ride, it didnt feel any different and it still allowed me to move around from the first inversion right till the end. It definately wasnt comfortable and it most certainly didnt hold me secure. Edit: Pic in action luthor.jpg:) Edited by Mad Hatter

no, lol sorry, it is a vekoma wakkiki wave at dreamworld, as 1 row of seats is backwards and on the right pylon, the vekoma badge is there, for more info check out www.ride-extravaganza.com/rides/wipeout :)edit I just realised that the ride he was talking about was a Zamprella ride, I thought he was talking bout wipeout being a Zamp ride lol. My bad =) Thats what I get for being up this late.

Edited by Spotty

• 1 month later...

The first time I went on the Wipeout I was six years old and I can remember it being a very fast ride in terms of how fast it did the sequence it does. Now today I do feel it does go quite slower even though that could be just what happens when you grow older but when it does the twist element it does you drop quite a lot out of your seat and I don't remember doing that when I was six. Personally all Vekoma rides have a warrenty of about 10 years and that's when they start to get really rough. The ride is now thirteen years old this year and many signs of it aging are evident. I think Dreamworld is going to hold onto this ride for a bit longer though before they replace it with something else. But I think the real question is, what are they goign to replace Wipeout with with it's quite compact area it covers.

They could just get a newer machine exactly like the wipeout but more up to date and it would be way better. I really like the wipeout area and i would be angry if they got rid of it so thats why i want them to just update it.

Edited by aidan

Well how about Huss Top Spin? It's basically the same type of ride except it's larger, more reliable, less painful and has water fountains which actually get you wet. The only problem about them is that they can't do the twist element the Wipeout can but does that really matter?

I've never been on a Top Spin, but from pictures and videos it doesnt look anywhere near as fun as Wipeout. All it really does is spin around...Also, I dont think a Top Spin would be as visually attractive as Wipeout; like, with Wipeout you get people just standing at the front and watching it, Top Spins just spin around, so they arent that spectacular.

But you're forgeting that the twisting manouever on the Wipeout is a very small part of the sequence it does. After that it just rocks you about a bit with really no thrill until the big final part, which is what a Huss Top Spin does. I mean I've never been on one myself but I do know that they are better than a Vekoma Superflip. Besides don't forget about the Huss Giant Top Spin which are about three times the size of an average Top Spin and that's fooking massive!