new coaster at dreamworld? PLEASE

goliath

isnt dreamworld due for a new coaster?? its prety pathetic only having one real thrill coaster (cyclone; not inlcuding reptar and eureka because they arent really thrill rides, and ToT is hardly a roller coaster). i know its not fair to compare it to SFMM but they have 16. even though america has a larger population and more people would be coming through the doors again dreamworld have 1!!!! ONE!!! UNO!! EINS!! AND its second hand. they really should consider buying a new looping roller coaster. especially beacause movie world has just opened a new kick ass intamin. shouldnt australias 'premer thrill park' be investing in more 'premier thrill rides'? PLEASE DREAMWORLD GET A NEW ROLLER COASTER!!! PLEEEEEASE!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's is, in fact pretty amazing that Dreamworld only have one operating thrill roller coaster. The investment of a new coaster would be brilliant, but with the $20m blown this year on The Dreamworld Aqua Park, we aren't getting a new roller this year. I think Dreamworld will know the right time to build a new ride. They know how to satisfy.

We've all moaned on about this topic enough I think, it's fairly obvious to every one that DW has enough flats now and needs a decent coaster. I think christmas 07 will bring about a fairly big, hopefully not second-hand ride or coaster for DW .

Edited by scott

They seem to be doing fairly well with their current set of rides, and Australias population isn't going to rise dramatically anytime soon, I really don't think a new roller-coaster is a nessecity for them. Having said that, I'd love them to buy one! Get a B&M inverted coaster, but Lethal Weapon to shame, if they were to do that then they could easily become the only worthwhile park on the Gold Coast.

Having said that, I'd love them to buy one! Get a B&M inverted coaster, but Lethal Weapon to shame.
1st off I think Dreamworld will get a B&M near river county and will be great to ride with TOT and the CLAW making Dreamworld A great park. But putting Lethal to shame is a stupid comment mate they are in different leagues lethal is a SLC Vekoma from 1995 and if DW build a B&M in 2006/2007 of course it will be a much better ride.
if they were to do that then they could easily become the only worthwhile park on the Gold Coast.
What so Superman, Shrek and Scooby Doo are not Worthwhile Scooby just made the top 100 coasters in the world list dude. Ian"why does everybody say one park is kick ass compare to the rest im just glad I live near 4 world class theme parks"Clark

^I don't get this comment about putting something to shame. If I own a car that is ten years old and you buy one that is this years model, it will look better and ride better to start with, but it is by no means putting my car to shame. It is what it is....a new coaster compared to a 10yr old coaster. They are two completly different coaster companies, building a similar style of coaster, that is all. Neither one will be putting the other to shame in any way, just like Superman is in no way putting the TOT to shame, as they are two similar rides, but built by two different companies....best to leave it at that and see if the ride comes or not.

^I don't get this comment about putting something to shame. If I own a car that is ten years old and you buy one that is this years model, it will look better and ride better to start with, but it is by no means putting my car to shame. It is what it is....a new coaster compared to a 10yr old coaster. They are two completly different coaster companies, building a similar style of coaster, that is all. Neither one will be putting the other to shame in any way, just like Superman is in no way putting the TOT to shame, as they are two similar rides, but built by two different companies....best to leave it at that and see if the ride comes or not.
Superman Escape and ToT are both built by the same company: Intamin AG. I dont think they are really similar; SE is a Hydraulic launch accelerator and ToT is an LSM launched shuttle. In fact, they arent similar at all. They are two completely different rides. (Unless you are talking about Superman the Escape at SFMM which is still built by the same company).

That's what you get for trying to post after just waking up from a sleep. :P But you have made my point for me, they are both a style of launch coaster, but that is it, so they should not be compared against each other, just like a B&M Inverted and a Vekoma inverted. Both have there appeals to start with, but to say one puts the other to shame with one being 10years old and the other new is just a stupid comment. My point is that anything new is going to be better than the older rides, reguardless of who built it or where it lives. I am also just happy to live near the top 4 parks in Australia, and I would start looking this year for a new thrill attraction at Dreamworld...but only time will tell.

I reckon a B&M would be nice but i dont know if it will happen or not, but IMO im more interested in what MW does since in recent years they have been turning out the better product. But yeah, a new coaster is sort of a necessity since they really are lagging behind not just the GC parks, but many similar sized international parks. In additon to a new coaster the park should look at a decent sized general ride, not a kids ride but one which appeals to a wide audience and could be equally enjoyed by both thrill seekers and the less daring.

First post - so don't shoot me down just yet. As far as a new coaster goes, I really think that if the Thunderbolt made a return to the park it would be a great thing. Not the original Meisho double loop, but a custom coaster with the same presence that the original had. The same colour scheme, and of course those famous double loops in a prominent position. Include a few new elements and it could be a winner. Rough and neglected as it was, DW simply hasn't been the same since they ripped down the old girl.

But putting Lethal to shame is a stupid comment mate they are in different leagues lethal is a SLC Vekoma from 1995 and if DW build a B&M in 2006/2007 of course it will be a much better ride. What so Superman, Shrek and Scooby Doo are not Worthwhile Scooby just made the top 100 coasters in the world list dude. Ian"why does everybody say one park is kick ass compare to the rest im just glad I live near 4 world class theme parks"Clark
Yes, it would be a much better ride, I don't see why you bothered to make such a useless point, but I'm glad you agreed with me. Now, as for Scooby and Superman; whilst Superman may draw in the crowds for being a new ride, for the average non informed theme park goer, they're going to see Superman, and the fact that it has less speed, less height and less reputation and beleive that TOT is still the ultimate fast ride on the GC. I just asked my family then actually, and as uninformed theme park goers they said exactly what I stated above. They beleive that Dreamworld offers the best attractions for a thrill rider, and the Lethal Weapon really doesn't make it a worthwhile contender. With an inverted roller-coaster, Dreamworld can finally say that they have everything Movieworld and Seaworld have in terms of rides, and the average consumer will believe it. Scooby Doo - Eureka Mine Train Corkscrew - Cyclone Superman - TOT Pirate - Claw Lethal Weapon - B&M Inverted. People will see things like that and believe that Movieworld offers little to go for in terms of thrill rides that Dreamworld doesn't have. Now of course we all know that's not true. The Corkscrew is much better then the Cyclone (best Roller-coaster on the GC IMO), Superman is probably much better then TOT (I haven't ridden it), Scooby Doo is waaay better then Eureka, and Lethal weapon is crappier than a B&M inverted coaster. I love Movieworld, almost as much as Dreamworld, but really, with a B&M Inverter they can say they have as much, and more then Movieworld has to offer in terms of rides. Nebu "Why do people bother to put these things after their name? It's annoying, and that's what a signiture is for, although it's quite hard to get a signiture to display a random thing in between their name, I'm sure it's possible." Chanezzar

Now, as for Scooby and Superman; whilst Superman may draw in the crowds for being a new ride, for the average non informed theme park goer, they're going to see Superman, and the fact that it has less speed, less height and less reputation and beleive that TOT is still the ultimate fast ride on the GC.
Now that annoys me (and must annoy Movie World) that no matter what happens Australians have this 'thing' for Dreamworld and always see it has having the better rides. I will be going up to the Gold Coast in April and even though I haven't been on the Claw yet I have made the decision to only go to Movie World and Wet n Wild. With Shrek and Superman now added I strongly believe Movie World has a much higher standard of attractions. As the original post was implying, a huge new coaster is something that would definitely draw me back to Dreamworld. Assuming that Blue Lagoon is going to be demolished, I'd love to see something go in this area. A massive (American standard) woodie would be very fitting. But I certainly wouldn't complain about a B&M as was suggested. I do think it's great that DW is building a hopefully decent water park and I will definitely visit when the park opens... a whole new park is very exciting afterall. I'd love to see a new coaster immdediately after but you can see why DW is in no rush when the majority of the general public aren't going to be easily convinced that Movie World now has the better rides

If one thing is better than another thing, then that thing is better than the other thing. It really is simple. Christ.

If one thing is better than another thing, then that thing is better than the other thing. It really is simple. Christ.
He was trying to make the point that a new B&M inverter at dreamworld would obviously be better than lethal weapon because it would be newer, but it wouldnt really be 'putting it to shame' so to speak because everyone expects it to be better as it is a new ride. Anyway, the point is if dreamworld is going to keep up with movie world they need to invest in a new coaster, Edited by goliath

Well, IMO from my trip up a few week ago, MW was definitley the superior park, and despite having a 2 day pass at DW i opted to only spend 2 hrs on the second day, and go back to MW for the rest. MW was just that much better in ride quality, efficency, park condtion, food quality and service. Also, if MW wanted to become a thrill park they could do it easily, for less than the cost of SM they could pick up a thrill ride or 3 and plonk it in the park, but would we nessessarily want that? MW is more about quality rather than quantity and by putting in flats they would be diluting the brand. Geeze, i wonder if a DL opened up on the GC people would still think MW was better because of DLs lack of thrill rides?

In terms of park quality sure Movie World kills dreamworld, but they are two different parks. Movie World; being built on a movie studio obviously has a theme of movies. The have great shows as well as a great range of rides, and lots of entertainment for families. dreamworld, while also catering for families, tend to focus more on thrill rides. It really depends on where the individual would prefer to go. They are both great parks offfering different things.

I have a few things to get off my chest over the last posts, and then onto the topic at hand. First thing is all this MW against DW. If you like one park over the other, then that's great, but I see no need to put the other park down, and so everyone knows, I have yearly passes to BOTH parks! The other is people who put down rides against others when they have not even ridden the ride in question, so I can only assume that, Nebuchanezzar, you have ridden some B&M to make the claim that they are better than Lethal Weapon. I do not comment on any rides that I have not ridden myself, and even then always try to put any comments that I might have into positive aspect so as not to ruin the ride for anyone who has not yet ridden it. Now that I have said my peace, I believe that the topic was a new coaster at Dreamworld please....not how one park is better than the other! A new coaster (Of Any Sort) would help Dreamworlds popularity with the general public, but what type to get. A B&M means a lot to those of us who follow coasters and the construction, but to the general public (GP) it is just another coaster, so let us not worry about the builder at this stage. A couple of things to consider, size of the ride and the location within the park. I will let you know a few areas not to consider as they will not be available, TB site, BB site and anywhere near the Claw. Ok, so how about the removal of the current water park and installing a CGI wooding into that area. The removal of the Gravitron and useing the storage land behind there. The removal of the model T fords and using the land around the TOT track for a coaster that also goes along the river. You get the idea. As far as the type and the builder, I really don't care as long as it is a new coaster. I for one will be greatfull for anything at all.....

I like the idea of a coaster around where model Ts are, TOT has sort of stuffed the serenity and model Ts could easliy be put somewhere else, IMO it should be somewhere near the billabong buffet out in the bush. It would be cool if it had a helix around the tower and some drops near water level. There is a fair bit of space so it could definitley have one.