Improving Superman Escapes Theming.

Gazza

Many people after riding Superman share the feelings that the coaster itself was great, but the theming was underdone, so it would be interesting to hear peoples ideas on how the rides theming could be improved. Here are some of mine: QUEUE: Put in more things to make it feel more like a subway station, such as: -Signs warning of fines for failing to have a valid ticket -Signs warning of fines for those with loose items (Double usage here as it relates to the rides actual rules) -Timetable information -Ticket Machines -Ticket Valdidation gates (the ones where you put the ticket in on one side and it gets sucked through and spat out on the other side, and at the same time the gate opens) 3 of these could be placed across the 3 queues where the subway theming starts. bart_turn.jpg -Signs telling you what station you are at -WAY OUT signs LOADING STATION -Signs on the wall saying what station you are at -Warning signs about the electrified 3rd rail and to stay off the tracks -Warning signs to stand back behind the yellow line when the train is approaching -Suspended from the ceiling TVs with when the next train is due from that platform and where it is going Melbourne_Central_Station_2.jpg -Clocks -Signs saying this area is under video surivailence -Lockers that look similar to the ones you see in the dark ride section, but undamaged. DARK RIDE SECTION -Better Wall texture -Make Metropolis square seem more like a station, there is little that makes it seem different from the rest of the ride, on my first couple of ride i didnt even realise it was meant to be a station, it seemed like lockers were just sitting in the tunnel from no reason. Brighter lighting and theming that relates to the original loading station would be nice (Eg the TVs telling you about departues would be there, but would be going all haywire, other signs would be fallen down, scratched etc. The colapising wall section would be painted the same way as the one in the loading station (with chevrons and a MRT logo). -where two cars that have crashed from the road above it should be clearer that this is what has happened, this could be done by having a road sign upside down that has fallen down along with the cars, a trash can etc. Another thing that could be done could be on the actual buildings roof. They could remove the white colourbond and replace it with transparent laserlite directly above the cars. This would flood that specific area with natual light to make it seem like daylight is coming in from the hole in the road. -At the start of the launch the blue streak you see should be clearer, i can only assume its meant to be superman but i am unsure, maybe adjust the focus or something. COASTER SECTION -Put up mini imitation skyscrapers in the fenced off area in the middle of all the turns that is currently just sand. Have a look at Euro Mir ( http://www.rcdb.com/ig972.htm?picture=1 ) or Manhattan Express ( http://www.rcdb.com/ig139.htm?picture=14 ) for examples, but if this was done i think a maximum of 3 would be needed and they would be not too big to make it feel like superman is flying you through the city. -The next best alternative could be to extend the viewing area into here and theme it as "Central Metropolis Park" with a central monument, tree lined paths, benches and lawns. UNLOAD STATION -Get the doors working -More detail to make it seem like Superman has put you somewhere safe (Just a note, in the article on the queue line wall it says that Superman sets the train down in a parking lot, so maybe if the unload station was make to look like a parking complex....) While some of these ideas could be expensive, others could be done cheaply but would make a difference to the overall feel. So what are your ideas? Just one thing to note, the roof probably wont evolve to anything more than a lattice of four by twos in the near future since a soild roof would interfere with the buildings fire system (and it will cost too much to put in a new one lower down) Something they could try in the darkride section could be rusted Reinforcing mesh with chunks of concrete attached to it to make it look like the concrete has fallen off of it. This would still enable the fire sprinklers to work) I think that what has happened though is that the ride was rushed to opening, so they managed to get a nice basis for the theme, but many of the final touches that make it look nice have been missed.

Edited by Gazza

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow you have some really good idea's Gazza! I think the themeing of the ride once you are on it (in the subway area) is really good..could be improved with the thing's you said but the que line and the rest of it are just plain boring, you dont really get into the "superman mood" while standing in line so I think they should fix that up some way..not really sure how but your idea's are really good so they should use those. I think the tv screens that are in the que line should display the next train info like you said or even putting some more on the actual loading station to make it seem more like a subway (as you said). The outside themeing really does put the ride down, you just dont get into the mood like you do for say Scooby or WWW.

hi there in reply to your msg, i am a happy employee of movie world and have been for a few years now, you say it could be better well if you saw the problems they encounted whilst building this huge monster you may understand why it is there theming isnt as great as it could be, but hey c'mon lets be thnak ful it was even opened, i mean if they concentrated on the theming anymore we would still be waiting for this ride to open and plus most ppl who go to these places and go on these rides, superman was great, as my job has it i talk to many, thousands infact, of very happy guests who think superman its 'totally awsum' so i mean unless your a tru expert in such an area this ride would be one of the best. MW EMPLOYEE

Yeah, i sort of guessed that the ride was rushed to opening so much of the energy was put into getting the ride going. A few little things, eg the doors between the stations not working , signs about the locker prices being up on paper in plastic pockets, temporary lighting in the station etc seemed a bit under done . Hopefully they might spruce it up a bit and bring it in line with the rest of the parks standards. Take a look at WWF falls with its plethora of wild west knick knacks and machinery etc or Scooby Doo with its large castle hall and moving suits of amour for examples of how detailed the queue on superman should be.

hey again there, in reply to the msg's yes i am a ride op on superman also including the others (wild west, lethal weapon, scooby and also looney tunes) as am i also a staff member in the food and beverage area, working in both is called Multi hire in the company and its a great way to give ur duties a change from time to time, but back to it, i do belive ther doors betwwn the ride is on the 'to do' list of things for superman, also another reason why superman runs as standard as it does is cause the staffing levels are not where they usually are and there for are streaching the duties of the operators as is. but hopefully everything will be 100% perfect soon, but i still stand by my comment 'THE RIDE IS AWSUM' MW EMPLOYEE

Off topic here, Thats an interesting avatar you have there Gazza. What coaster is it? Never seen it before.
I think its called Yunsario Speeding Car or something like that, it is an accelerator at a new park somewhere in China, what you can see is basically the whole layout except for a helix after the loop. Its almost SEs long lost brother, just with a loop instead of an airtime hill, and with the top hat going the other way. I was waiting for someone to mistake it for SE which you could do if you werent observant enough, guess i failed :sarcastic:

hi there again, the duties of the operators change every few hrs so u could be checkin heights one min and lockin harnesses the next or ever pushing buttons after so really yes i am him but i couldnt be certain i was that guy, those que rails are there for a reason also to help things move faster and for safety reasons MW EMPLOYEE

hi there again, the duties of the operators change every few hrs so u could be checkin heights one min and lockin harnesses the next or ever pushing buttons after so really yes i am him but i couldnt be certain i was that guy, those que rails are there for a reason also to help things move faster and for safety reasons
Wait, so are you tall with the middle of your hair sort of spiked up? I remember this paticular person giving the crowd a lecture that even a 5c piece is dangerous and if you have one you will be sent to the back. And anyway, the only reason the queue rails are there is so the queue uses the space in the most efficent manner, if they werent there guests would probably just line up down one wall and the queue would end up stretching all the way past the lockers. I dont really think its a saftey issue unless they are hurdling, a simple duck under is ok. So, as an employee, are you able to find out why they decided to charge for the lockers on the ride? also are you in a position to give feedback about the ride to managment (Eg, that they should ditch the fee) One last thing, is it fun working on the ride, and also, how much experience do you need to work on it?

Yea, basically what Gazza Said, It isn't really that bad if you are just ducking under, i'll admit, even i do that when the line is short enough but hurdling over I can see the saftey risk in that, I also really hope they do ditch the locker fee at Superman, they can keep the lockers but make them free, except if you go over a hour or designated limit, then there is a 1 dollar fee or something. I would be fine with that. They are quite good the lockers, except for the fee's, as this burns a nice hole in your pocket. Also you pay what... 60 dollars to get into the park, and then they are basically charging you to ride superman, I.E Locker Fee, it is just plain rediculous, if they had Free lockers for annual pass holders I would be fine, as would many from this site, but the general public still would have to pay, causing issues.

I think they would need to make the unlocking fee relative to the time you run over the limit, say about $2 for 1/2 hr over the limit and then $7 for more than that. You need a decent unlocking fee to deter people from treating it as an all day locker. But you have hit the nail on the head there spotty, its really just a charge to ride the ride.

The one admission price for your Gold Coast theme park tickets covers all rides, shows and attractions
I wonder how true this now is, from an ACCC perspective, now that guests without non-riding family or friends are unable to ride this coaster without paying a fee, however nominal it might be. Can someone enlighten as to how strict the item policy is? I haven't tried, but maybe someone who has, can tell us if you're able to get a wallet on the ride in a zippered pocket (where it has no chance of coming loose)? What about guests in thongs - I'm sure the park's insurance or workplace health and safety requirements can't have guests barefooting it from the lockers to the ride? Interestingly, I decided I'd do a bit of research on the terminal velocity of a United State penny, a coin which is more or less the same size as our 5c coin (and weighs 2.5g, compared with 3.24g for the 5c coin). Every study I have found has concluded that a penny striking someone's head on its edge at terminal velocity will not injure a person aside from maybe a slight superficial sting, and of course if it lands any way other than edge-first, the impact force will be dramatically reduced. It seems having a person hire a locker under the premise that a 5c coin is dangerous on the ride is somewhat misleading sales advice - especially when coupled with the fact that they let us on with a hankerchief in a pocket - which brings us back to the ACCC.

Thongs are allowed on the ride. Your feet are mostly planted on the ground during the ride. And on the coin issues, it also depends on how fast that the coin traveling at 'terminal velocity' is traveling and from at what height. Terminal velocity is a loose term and its speed varies from object to object... A person would reach terminal velocity if they fell from high enough, and if it was REALLY high that person would go "past" terminal velocity. So yes, in theory a 5 cent coin probably wouldnt do much damage... But it depends on the force in which it was released from whatever was holding it. Although, I could be wrong... But hey this IS a discussion board right? :D

Yeah, but you cant have people being "stung" by a coin, if someone did get hit they would kick up poo about it, no matter how superfical the injury. I but i guess people are being "stung" in a whole different way. But basically, whenever you go to MW just kick up a stink about it, maybe fill out some comment forms about it. In this case it really is a fair criticisim and would cost nothing to implement (except they would stop earning money from it, except for people who use it for too long)

Well Gazza, This is where the unlocking fee comes into place. I will be sending a e-mail to Movie World in a few days about the locker fee, if anyone has ANYTHING they would like added to this e-mail, send me a PM or e-mail me at daniel.harmer@gmail.com I am going to see what they say about this specific idea "It is like you are having to pay extra to go on the ride"