Florida Trip

tom

Im off to Florida in September for 10 nights, staying 8 nights in Orlando at Disney World and 2 nights in Miami. I have three days in Disney World and 2 days at Universal Studios (So far, thats the lump that i've paid for). Does anyone have any advice on what is a MUST to do in these parks, or in which part of the two parks I should spend most of my time. Especially in Disney, it doesnt seem like 3 days is going to be enough to do everything (Or is it?) so does any one have any ideas of what I should do, what I should think about doing, and what really isnt worth it? (Applies for Universal aswell) THANKS!! :D And I just saw that i cant spell FLORIDA!!!! LOL!!

Edited by tom

Universal is easy enough to do in two days if the crowds aren't too bad. You can probably see everything at Universal Studios in maybe 2/3 of a day and have a whole day-and-a-bit for Islands of Adventure. It isn't necessarily a huge park in terms of how long it takes, but it will give you extra time to get plenty of rerides on Dueling Dragons and The Incredible Hulk, which are some of the most amazing coasters out there. I would definitely say in my experience that three days really isn't enough for Walt Disney World if you want any hope of seeing everything on offer. I had a five day Park Hopper which let us see the theme parks pretty thoroughly, but there was still a lot of things we had to miss out on simply because there is so much to do. I think the three-day Hoppers come with an extra ticket to one of Disney's non-park attractions, which I'd recommend using to check out one of the water parks. Makes me realise it's time I started thinking about heading overseas again.

Hi, I think you're going to be hard pressed to fit everything in but it's still such an exciting place. Do your research first, that's the best recommendation I can offer. I spent 16 days over there last Novemeber and loved every second and I still missed out on things! I think 2 days is ample time for Universal and Islands of Adventure. Don't miss out on Dueling Dragons, Spiderman and Hulk in IOA and MIB and Revenge of the Mummy in Universal Studios. They were the standouts for me. I didn't find any of the Universal shows were really worth it. If you had more time I'd suggest doing them also, but the show's weren't great. The Disney ones are better. For me, Animal Kingdom was the suprise standout. I could spend hours walking that park. It's just so beautiful. Don't miss Festival of the Lion King there in particular. It's awesome. And I loved Flights of Wonder and Dinosaur too...and of course now you'll have to go on Expedition Everest ;) As much as I love the Kilamajaro safari, I, unlike others, don't think it's the best attraction at the park. MGM Studios - Tower of Terror and Rock-n-roller Coaster and Fantasmic! definately! Don't miss any of them. I also think the Great Movie Ride is pretty unique and fun. Epcot - Test Track! Soarin, and Mission:Space are really very impressive. And I have a soft spot for Spaceship Earth. Jeremy Irons narration gives me goosebumps every time. I think Ellens Energy adventure is pretty unique also. But it's long and you might run out of time. Illuminations is also definately worth sticking around for. Magic Kingdom - whatever you're interested in. I think it's hard to recommend anywhere in the Magic Kingdom. It has so much for so many different interests. For me it's Mickey's Philarmagic. I could watch that show all day. I love the Disney musicals. I hope that helps. The place is amazing. You'll have a blast! Mickey C

Nice to hear about your trip tom. I've been to California (had such a great time) and I'd love to visit Florida next time I go overseas. The Walt Disney World Resort looks like a really nice place (what can be better than four Disney theme parks and a couple of water parks?).

Go on everything at Disney - everything is unique and bigger and better than everywhere else! Bear in mind that there are three night time shows (Illuminations @ Epcot, Fantasmic @ MGM, Wishes @ Magic Kingdom) and that they are all so good that you want to see each of them. Plan each of your three days so that you end up at one of the above three parks each evening. When over there last year, we found that we did Animal Kingdom in just over half a day, which left us time to go back to see an evening show. We spent 4 days at the Disney Parks and still didn't see and do every attraction. There are the water parks (not sure if they're open at the moment) and Downtown Disney is more than worth a visit. If you really want to do it justice I'd say spend 4-5 days down there, if nothing else than just to take in the whole place. Other than that - Disney must sees in Florida: - The three night time shows (as above) Get to Fantasmic @ MGM around 1hr before the show to get a good seat. - Animal Safari @ Animal Kingdom - it's pretty damn amazing - Bug's Life @ Animal Kingdom - probably the coolest 3D / 4D film you'll ever see in a fantastic theatre - Mission Space @ Epcot - wow! - Go to all the villages around the lake in Epcot, no matter how boring it may appear, you'll find lots of little surprises :) - Rockin Roller Coaster + Tower of Terror at MGM, that's a given I suppose - Lights, Motors, Action! at MGM - Arrive early to get a good seat, this stunt show makes Police Academy look like your local shopping centre car park - definitely not to be missed. - MGM Studios tour - heaps of interesting Disney trivia that I didn't know before and a cool conclusion in Catastrophe Canyon. - The ride inside the ball @ Epcot - can't remember what it's called, but it's pretty cool and the view in the top of the dome is awesome (not going to give it away) - Festival of the Lion King @ Animal Kingdom - Not as good as Hong Kong Disney, but more than worth seeing. - Lunch @ Sci Fi Theatre @ MGM Studios - you need to book, but this is quite possibly the coolest theme park restaurant I've been in. - Night @ Downtown Disney - the place goes off and is all lit up. Go check out the clubs if you're over 18 - one even has a revolving dance floor! - Jungle Cruise @ Magic Kingdom - if you haven't done this before, don't be deceived by the tame look of the ride. You'll wet yourself laughing and go more than once because all of the guides add their unique humour to each trip. - Disneyland Hong Kong exhibit in the Chinese pavilion @ Epcot - great little exhibition that goes through all of the construction plans, etc for DHK. Well worth a look. - The lovely cast members of the Norway Pavilion @ Epcot - the Maelstrom ride is nothing mind-blowing but the girls who push the buttons are worth the trip alone :) These above are what really impressed me last year, but as I said, the place is packed with things to do. You'll really push it with only 3 days there and will need to plan your days pretty well. I hope for your sake none of those days are weekends or peak days at the parks! If it all goes to hell - things that didn't really impress me: (Maybe skip them if you're stuck for time) - The ride inside Manns Chinese Theatre @ MGM - queued for ages, then a pretty average tour through some fake scenes which were not more than brightly coloured flats. - Dinosaur the Ride @ Animal Kingdom. There's a lot of hype (both good and bad) about this ride which is supposedly based on the same tech as Indy over at DL. If you want to bounce up and down for 5 minutes in the dark, get a friend to push you around on a chair in a dark room and shine a light in your face. - The rides park @ Animal Kingdom. We have spinning coasters that travel around Australia, and everything else in the kids park is just your average carnie ride. - Pirates of the Carribean @ Magic Kingdom. People are gonna shoot me down for this one, but I didn't find it a patch on the DL version - shorter, seemingly out of order, no where near as bigger scale, etc. If you have done DL before, you could happily skip the DW one. Go have a ball, cram it all in! There is more to see and do there than you could ever imagine. People always used to say to me how big it was, but you don't realise the size, scale and greatness of the place till you get there. Hope this helps! nev

THANKS FOR ALL THE INFORMATION GUYS!!! What a help this will be!! I have been to DisneyLAND before but I was like 5 or something, so I dont remeber it all that well! Looks like I'm really going to have plan my trip... LOL! Theres just so much to do my brain is in OVERLOAD!!! And overloaded with excitment!!! Thanks everyone!

EPCOT: Skip EPCOT's Educational stuff... it's pretty lame and boring, as was Honey I Shrunk The Audience. I wasted too much time on all that and didn't have enough to completely cover World Showcase. Go straight for MISSION Spaceand Test Track then head straight to the World Showcase. I didn't see the Innovations exhibit so can't comment on how good that is. The other parks are brilliant. I've done all the Universal and Disney ones aside from Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach (I was there in February; TL was closed and BB was lowest on my priorities because it was a water park and not an amusement one).

I spent 7 Days at WDW in November, then went onto 2 12/ weeks in Cali than Vegas then NYC. 3 days isnt enough for WDW but better than nothing. Mickey's Philarmagic is the best 4d Show its amazing, if you had more time id say hire a sea raycer and cruise around Seven seas laggon and Bay lake, but you won't have time unfortunatly, i wanted to goto IOA but didnt find the time. EPOCT is fantastic, go on Sorin' unless its a long line and you've been on it at DCA, Test track is great too and you have to do spaceship earth. and watch Illuminations it Phenomonal! Do TOT its the best in Florida, and see Wishes! at Magic Kingdom its fantastic too. If youv'e been to disneyland and seen Fantasmic! you can miss it at MGM its better at DL. if you want to see pics of WDW my photo page has heaps, the albums are on the last page as they were first on the trip My Photo's Have fun and ride EVEREST! PS All keep an eye on the pics as im of to Hong Kong in July and will have pics of Ocean park and of course Hong kong Disneyland!

Edited by bigglesworth003