Terminator could be heading Down Under

I know it's not roller coaster news but thought i'd post it anyway. http://news2005.syd.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=94657 Terminator could be heading Down Under Thursday Apr 6 11:24 AEST With or without Arnold Schwarzenegger, the Terminator could be heading to Australia. Hollywood producer Andy Vajna says Terminator 4 could be shot on the Gold Coast. "We were thinking about Australia. We have been looking at the Warner Bros Studios down there but it is early days," Vajna told AAP from the set of his current film, Children of Glory, in Hungary. "That would be probably early next year." The Terminator was released in 1984 and was the breakthrough role for former bodybuilder Schwarzenegger. Terminator 2: Judgment Day came out in 1991, followed by Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines in 2003. The films looked at the ethical implications of machine intelligence as well as what it means to be truly human. US company Warner Bros has slated Terminator 4 for a late 2007 release. The script has been written by John Brancato and Michael Ferris, who have penned screenplays for Catwoman, Femme Fatale and The Net. "We have the script ready and we are now looking for a director and figuring out what the next step is," said Vajna. Little else is known about the project, and original Terminator Arnold Schwarzenegger, now governor of California, is yet to commit to the project. If he does, it won't be in the title role, says Vajna. "We would like Arnie in it as a cameo," said Vajna, who produced the Terminator 3. "We want to go on with the Terminator and turn it into a real sci-fi picture and there is a very interesting role for Arnold if he decides he wants to do it. "But I am not sure where he is with his politics and all that, we will see." If Terminator 4 does come to Australia, it will provide a welcome boost to the local movie industry. Vajna's film credits include the Die Hard movies, The Scarlet Letter, Judge Dredd, Medicine Man, Basic Instinct 2, Nixon and Evita. He is yet to work in Australia but his current film, Children of Glory, has a strong Australian connection. The film tells of a bitter battle in the pool between the Hungarian and Russian water polo teams at the Melbourne 1956 Olympic Games. It is being shot in Hungary in Hungarian and will be released internationally with subtitles, starring Kata Dobo and Ivan Fenyo. "Even though the games took place in Australia and it will feel like Australia, it is being shot in Hungary," he said. "The revolution is clearly one of the most important moments in Hungarian history and of course this match in Melbourne is of historical value." Vajna said many of the original Hungarian water polo team of 1956 would return to Australia in December to mark the 50th anniversary of the games. ©AAP 2006

They have done two films last year for the wrestling group WWEs films arm. The first was the Marine starring one of the wrestlers John Cena and the other film was See No Evil with another superstar, Kane, in the lead roll. And as we speak they are filming the first of 3 films staring Stone Cold Steve Austin called The Condemed. So they are slowly getting movies there but with the US dollar being better OS from Aus they are going to find it harder to get movies here. Hey just my 2 cents

• 1 year later...

I don't want them to replace Shrek 4D for a long long time - if ever. It's nice having a little slice of Universal here on the Gold Coast. Batman Adventure needs to be replaced. Badly. While it's a classic attraction history-wise, it's taking up room that could have a really state of the art ride even if that had a compact footprint. The only thing is it does go with Batwing so maybe keep the theme but go with something more thrilling. But the BTTF fan in me makes me wish they bought the ride from Universal. :P It's sad that the age of the franchise works against it.

Edited by Tony Teulan

I don't have any news, but was wondering if there was any follow up info on this?
There is now. Tuesday December 4, 12:11 AM Christian Bale to star in "Terminator" sequel LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - "Batman" star Christian Bale is in negotiations to headline the fourth installment of the "Terminator" movie series. In "Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins," the Welsh actor would play the John Connor role originated by Edward Furlong in 1991's "Terminator 2: Judgment Day" and continued by Nick Stahl in 2003's "Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines." Charlie's Angels" director Joseph "McG" Nichol is in negotiations to shoot the movie, which will be distributed by Warner Bros. James Cameron originated the sci-fi series, which made Arnold Schwarzenegger a star, with 1984's "The Terminator." The series centered on a robot from the future where machines wage war against humanity, whose goal was to kill Sarah Connor, the mother of the future leader of the human resistance. As the movies progressed, the son took a more prominent role. In "T4," Bale's character leads what is left of the human race against the machines. Bale is currently filming "The Dark Knight," a sequel to his debut 2005 Batman outing "Batman Begins." Reuters/Hollywood Reporter Link to story EDIT : There's also a poll Poll results so far. Who should play the new Terminator? Thanks for voting 4885 votes since Dec 3 2007 Christian Bale would be good 7% 352 votes Bring Arnie back 35% 1696 votes (my vote) Give it to Julia Gillard 11% 549 votes John Howard's looking for a job 16% 795 votes They should have stopped after two movies 31% 1493 votes Edited by dreamworld_rulz

^BAHAHAHAHAHHAHAA!!! Julia Gillard!!!! Yes yes. Let her play the Terminator. In all seriousness though, would there not actually be humanish Terminators at the beginning of the war? My memory is a bit sketchy. And since when did Warner Brother's have the Terminator franchise? Anyway, if this is the case Movieworld should definately develop a Terminator themed ride and seeing as though the property is M/MA 15+ it could be a ride targetted at adults and could use some of the premise of the older films. As for Christian Bale - he is dead set the Warner Bros cover boy isn't he: Batman, The Prestige and The Terminator. Right there you have three movies that could be developed into quality themed attractions, but seeing the same bloke in all three... could imagine it now!

• 3 months later...