Vomitron, Infinitey, etc....

scott

I've been up at the coast lately for a couple of days, staying at Crowne Plaza at surfers, and we ended up going to Inifinity and the Vomitron, and I also stopped at Dreamworld shortly today on the way home. I'd already been on the Vomitron before during the day, so it really wasn't too bad for me, but let me say that if you're going to ride it, go at night, it definitely is much better. It's a great ride, only $15 for a about a minute or two, and they knock $5 off the price on your second ride. I'd already been to Inifinity as well, and it really was a bit of a ripoff the second time around. Still good fun as a first time though. On the way back my mum agreed to drop me off at Dreamworld for about an hour, while she explored upper and lower Coomera a bit. The queue's were quite bearable and I got one ride on GD, two on the Claw and one on Wipeout, so yeah overall not too bad. Sitting at the top on Wipeout I noticed ToT rolling slowly along the track, so, obviously, they'd had an e-brake, it was the first evidence I'd ever seen of one. Also, at the top of GD I realised just how much space had been cleared for the water park, I think we can look foward to something decent at Dreamworld this year...

Edited by scott

Infinity is awesome! We went there a while ago, we got to the start of the first room and the mirrors made it look like a 5 foot drop and we freaked out and ended up running and jumping.... then we realised it was just the floor! Has anyone been to Spacewalker? What's it like?

Sorry Paul, but what you saw with TOT, was not a E- Brake, That is where it goes into the area at the back of the station, The sensors just lost the location of the pod, therefore shutting down all acceleration to the Pod, bringing it to a stop. It happened last week I think it was, I was on it, mid launch, I noticed it slowing down, and only went a tiny bit up the curve, before coming to a stop for approx 1 min, and then slowly being reversed into the station, the magnets sound awesome when on the pod! I sure wasn't complaining that thursday, due to NO lines, and sitting in the front seat, What a cool experience though!

I went to Infinity last September, great attraction, but bit expensive. The best room in infinity was the one were you had to walk though the very dark hallways and only little red lazer lights were projected onto to mirrors to guide you through the darkness!! The also had things hanging off the ceilings(FREAKY!!) However, the most entertaining rooms were the mirror room(nearly stacked myself pretty badly! :P and the suspended bridge room(nearly s#@t myself when i looked down!! I have also been to Ripely's Believe it or Not Museum. Just to finish off my post: Has anybody been to space walker, i've heard it is supposed to be really good?

So why do they need to e-brake it? It's been stuffing up so much lately! When we were there my friends got to the front of the line and it screwed up. I'm pretty sure it just wouldn't launch but I have no idea. Anyone know why? Infinity, never go there with a friend who's been there before if you don't want all the suprises wrecked! It took us 6 minutes to do the whole thing and we were so pissed when we realised we couldn't go back!

So why do they need to e-brake it?
"E-brake" is a term used to describe an emergency stopping procedure when there is a malfunction with the ride's normal braking system. I'm sure you can see why this procedure is necessary. The normal braking system on TOT requires large amounts of electricity to operate; no electricity means no stopping. No stopping means pain. The second situation, as Scott experienced yesterday, is when the Tower of Terror's control system fails to launch the pod successfully. The ride uses a (large-scale) linear synchronous motor to propel the car out of the tunnel. By definition, the system must calculate the location of the pod and adjust the magnetic force every 1/100th* second (approx.) to ensure the magnetic force and pod are "moving at the same speed". A number of factors can cause the flux (flow of magnetism) and pod to get out of synchronisation. Once this happens the ride is instructed (for safety) to shutdown the magnets. All mechanical devices are prone to failure. I think it's a bit unfair to say that it malfunctions "so much" - I've never personally had a problem with the ride. Tower of Terror is using an early model of Intamin's launch system but it still seems to work effectively. So in answer to your question, they shutdown the ride for safety reasons. [*] I'm not sure on the exact number, it may be every 1/1000th second.

That pretty much sums it up! But, it has been doing it a bit more latley, but thats most likley because it's aging now, Dreamworld have been doing things to prevent that happening. Such as making the ride slightly slower, to make it easier on the Computers. This will not completly stop it from happening, but it does reduce it happening as often. BTW: I love that part no electricity means no stopping. No stopping means pain. That made me laugh!!

I dont think they slow the ride down so its less strain on the computers... its a computer, its under no physical stress. Although its functions to compute data may be under stress, but I dont think its computer systems have been changed since it opened (Correct me if im wrong) So it should be handleing the same amount of data it was when it first opened. The computer just tells the other parts of the system what to do and when to do it. Things like sensors on the track can age and be put under more stress, but then again, im not an expert on the ride or its functions... Could someone who actualy knows the correct functions of the TOT shine some light on the subject? But yes, the TOT is old... That we can all agree on! LOL! 10 years (or close to it) isnt it? But anyway, back onto the TOPIC, i've never been to either Infinity or on the Vomitron... But next time im up there i'm thinking of going! :D wOOt!

"E-brake" is a term used to describe an emergency stopping procedure when there is a malfunction with the ride's normal braking system. I'm sure you can see why this procedure is necessary. The normal braking system on TOT requires large amounts of electricity to operate; no electricity means no stopping. No stopping means pain. The second situation, as Scott experienced yesterday, is when the Tower of Terror's control system fails to launch the pod successfully. The ride uses a (large-scale) linear synchronous motor to propel the car out of the tunnel. By definition, the system must calculate the location of the pod and adjust the magnetic force every 1/100th* second (approx.) to ensure the magnetic force and pod are "moving at the same speed". A number of factors can cause the flux (flow of magnetism) and pod to get out of synchronisation. Once this happens the ride is instructed (for safety) to shutdown the magnets. All mechanical devices are prone to failure. I think it's a bit unfair to say that it malfunctions "so much" - I've never personally had a problem with the ride. Tower of Terror is using an early model of Intamin's launch system but it still seems to work effectively. So in answer to your question, they shutdown the ride for safety reasons. [*] I'm not sure on the exact number, it may be every 1/1000th second.
Well that explains a lot. I wish I could talk for hours and understand every single word I say! Hmmmm..... I wonder if anyone will ever make a place similar to Infinity? Does anyone know how much space it take up cause I lost my sense of direction!

Hey guys, im new here but have always had an intrest themeparks and in how rides work. Havent been to Inifinity and on the Vomitron as yet...will do one day. ...question-is their any websites on how they work and who/how they repair them? Im thinking of becoming a mechanic or Electrician who do all that stuff.

Well that explains a lot. I wish I could talk for hours and understand every single word I say! Hmmmm..... I wonder if anyone will ever make a place similar to Infinity? Does anyone know how much space it take up cause I lost my sense of direction!
No one would make one like it , infinitys space would be small with just room next to room like that mirror room makes it look huge but it is such a small place. and why do you always put a ! at the end of everything.

No one would make one like it , infinitys space would be small with just room next to room like that mirror room makes it look huge but it is such a small place. and why do you always put a ! at the end of everything.
I was wondering how tall it is like how thers steps at the start and as for the !'s I can't help it, some say I talk a little too loud for their liking, whether that has anything to do with it I don't know.
Answer. Yes. Probably the best place to have a quick browse would be http://capital2.capital.dalthoff/ . Enjoy
Oh, that link didn't work. Not sure if its my computer or what.