Aussie World pencils in waterpark

GoGoBoy

Taken from attractionsmanagement.com - ***** 20 Jun 2006 Aussie World pencils in waterpark Aussie World theme park on Australia’s Sunshine Coast has revealed plans to open a waterpark in the future. General manager David Thompson said: “We are still at the very early stages, but have pencilled in a major waterpark for the Sunshine Coast. We would hope to have around eight major operations within the park.” The waterpark would be located adjacent to Aussie World, which sits on just 19 acres of 52 acres that the park owns. The theme park, which has successfully moved from being a free entry park to a full price park in the last six months, is also currently in discussions with the local council to agree more flexibility in the variety of rides it can install. Details: www.aussieworld.com.au ***** Note that the General Manager said there are plans for eight major operations within the park (I assume that means attractions). It's already sounding more promising than the Dreamworld waterpark

This has been in talks for a number of years now. With Warner Village having already announced their plans to build a water park on the Sunshine Coast in the future, Aussie World had better know what they're doing, because the Wet'n'Wild brandname could very easily kill any competition. Note that the plans are to include the water attractions inside the amusement park. There won't be two separate parks, but rather more what Jamberoo or Merimbula's Magic Mountain do with integration of rides and slides. This is definitely the way to go, but I wouldn't think for a second that it would in any way be of the same standard that Dreamworld's water park (and I think it is a bit too premature to be passing judgement on just yet - they're not even halfway through the construction period) or Wet'n'Wild is. I do think the terrain is well suited to a water park, much in the same way Jamberoo and Magic Mountain use the hilly terrain to create some great slides.

It could just be a little park with a few slides, Its not really that expensive since it would be able to use Aussie worlds exisiting infastructure. From memory the racing slide at Jamberoo was 1 million, which is not too bad for such a large expanse of fibreglass. I think for maybe only a few million (single digits) they could get a nice lineup that suits the park.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Actually, construction has begun. I also see that they have started clearing land for the Disneyland just north or Brisbane and the Universal Studios in Melbourne. I will put pictures up when things move along a bit further :blink: In all seriousness, I drove past there a week and a half ago and nothing was going on.

• 2 months later...

Ah well, a small park like Aussie World, most of the workers would hear things. (less so in a big park like Dreamworld) Also, when I said that, it was when that fake ride operator was saying about Big Brother, which didn't really a ride operator would not have to deal with in his job, unlike new rides which people need training for. Also since then, I've learnt that some ride operators do listen to rumors, and most happen to not be true. But I've also learnt that in a few cases, they are right. So I guess I really just am more careful for anything I hear from people.

• 5 months later...

I went to AW near the begining of last christmas hols. There was only like five other people in the whole park. Seriously the wild mouse rollercoaster is falling apart. I cant see how AW can afford a new water park and with compitition from WVTP they would almost go banktrupt