WhiteWater World Construction Discussion

Richard

Gallery: http://www.roller-coaster.com.au/gallery.php?gid=150 We are experimenting with a higher resolution photo. In the two years that have passed since this site launched, broadband has become the standard in Australia, and screen resolutions are always going up. The images are automatically resized to fit in your browser when you click the thumbnails. In the top left corner you can click to see the full sized version. I'd recommend turning off any browser resizing functions. This gallery is also in 3:2 film ratio rather than the standard 4:3 digital ratio, so the images are wider. Let me know your thoughts on the new image size.

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good photos Rich, or should I say Tony (whoever took them anyway) They give a really good feel for the park. My thoughts. -It looks as though we are getting a "long" Tornado with extra turns at the start, so that could give them and ege over WnWs offering -I dont think the slide under the tornado would neccesarily be smaller by the size of the support, i think the reason the canteleiver is smaller is because the slides curvature wont actuall be centered around the column. -I think it was a waste to only have 3 slides off T1, since there is space for a 4th. Maybe in the future this space could be used for a cannon bowl raft slide. -The T2 splashdown area pic seems to have a large raft return running across it. And what the hell is the guy in the cherry picker trying to access. -I love the red colour for the slides, looks better than the effort so far, but i dont think they are for T2 as they are too narrow for the tornado. -T3 has ugly colours, i mean LILAC! though it looks nice and tall. -I have a theory on the Architectural style of the entrance, it reminds me of a service station canopy. Im going to bet that the vertical part will have a big coloured graphic extending along it. -Im going to go straight out and say the second tower attraction will be an uphill slide, In the very last pic of the gallery just look at the supports. They are the afformentioned T bar support (as opposed to the curved type around the bottom of a standard flume), which would suit the flat bottomed conveyor belt flume section. You can also see that the supports along the carpark edge go tall, low, tall. Ill bet you that there is a small "valley" support that is obscured by the truck.

On the support next to Tower 2, if you look at the brackets on the lower arms you'll notice that they are considerably smaller than those up above. Obviously the turn will be tighter than that above, as seen by the shorter length of the arms, but it will also be a smaller slide because they're significantly smaller brackets. The captions should be fine now. They were a bit funny early on but I believe it's since been sorted out. If there are noticeably out of place captions let me know.

As Gazza mentioned, it is fairly obvious that tower 2 will have raft return/conveyor systems installed. This is a really nice touch and shows the park is certainly focusing on the quality of their attractions. It will mean the actual loading process is a lot more pleasant and riders will not have to lug oversized rafts up the stairs. The stairs themselves look quite small so it is probably very wise thay they are doing this. I'm reasonably happy with the colours so far. I'm just very glad they have gone with bright colours which will certainly help set them apart from Wet 'n' Wild. Apart from the Tornado, WnW is mostly blues, whites and blacks. A lot of parks are going for this option now rather than the old standard colours. I think the colour scheme will really add to the parks appeal, especially for passers by. Although it's still a bit early to tell, we will have to wait for the finished product. At least the lilac colour of the 3rd tower matches the same shade as the other towers (although obviously a different colour). I think when the slides are completed, the colour of the tower poles will not be as relevant. It certainly is nice attention to detail though. I'd agree with Gazza that the building out near the front will probably display some kind of graphic along that framework. My understanding is that the actual entry area and ticket booths will be where all those wooden poles are. Can anyone have a guess as to what on earth those wooden poles are for? I have no idea, but I'd assume some kind of theming. I certainly hope they paint them or do something to them

Yes that's what I was thinking. My initial thought was shade poles as the company doing the landscape design has used these sorts of poles for shade structures before. Wouldn't they normally paint them before putting them up though? I also agree that they do seem very close together. Why is it necessary for so many of them in close proximity?

Edited by GoGoBoy

Yes that's what I was thinking. My initial thought would was shade poles as the company doing the landscape design has used these sorts of poles for shade structures before. Wouldn't they normally paint them before putting them up though? I also agree that they do seem very close together. Why is it necessary for so many of them in close proximity?
Got no idea, But we'll all find the answer in the next few months. :)

I can see what you're saying aidan and I thought so at first too. However I think you will see how it all fits in when the park is completed. Some of the benefits of having the slides at the back are - 1. The obvious improvement it will make to Cyclone in terms of rider excitement for both attractions and the fact that Cyclone, or the Big Dipper as it was originally, was always designed to be integrated with its surroundings. It will now finally have both landscaping and clever integration. As a side benefit I'm sure this will kind of act as a cross advertisement for both parks for guests that are only at one of the parks, either Dreamworld or Whitewater World 2. It is likely that the second entrance to the waterpark will be located somewhere towards the back of the park, linking with Ocean Parade. Therefore having some slides in this area makes sense 3. It helps to make the park just that little bit larger in terms of land size. If everything was too close together it would seem too small

Regarding the hardwood poles at the entrance, they wouldn't paint them if they're leaving them exposed. The timber is treated so it's designed to be used that way. There are four slabs at the entrance which will house the ticket booths and these poles lead right up to them. In all likeliness they'll be for shade for this area. If you look at the layout of the park in person, the placement of the tube slides at the back is not nearly as bad as you may initially think. The three towers are found at three points pretty much equal distance from each at three edges of the site. The wavepool is right between Towers 2 and 3, and will take up a very large amount of the land. Don't forget we'll also see some toddler and children attractions, landscaping, retail and food and beverage facilities, toilets/changerooms and staff areas that will fill in what looks like a very scarce water park at this stage.

More News! The wave pool is being built by Scottish company Murphys Waves (They also built outback bay at Jamberoo) it will be 25m wide and will be a "Boogie Pool" ( http://www.wavesltd.co.uk/Products/boogie.htm ) , so this means we should be able to bodyboard in it like the flowrider, but in real waves. This is looking good as the example shown on the website has some nice looking waves that break, and not just bob. See http://www.wavesltd.co.uk/news.htm

Ozcoaster has just added a very nice update. My main comments were that I was surprised at the green colour chosen for the Tornado. I'm not sure how it is going to look adjacent to the other slide which will be coming off tower 2 (the red one currently in pieces at the back of the park). It certainly is an original colour for a Tornado but we will have to wait and see how it looks when the 2 attractions start being erected properly. Hopefully this will start happening over the next week or so. But putting the colours aside, both of the attractions are going to be very, very cool

Ozcoaster has just added a very nice update....
Nice big slide parts these will be for one of the two bowls...
It sounded like dreamworld was getting a bowl slide. I might of read it wrong though I'm pretty sure that's what it said. EDIT:
What could these exciting bits be for. I know but its a secret :)
An Australian 1st for sure.
Maybe it's a rocket. *Prays To Waterpark Gods* EXTRA EDIT: post-886-1153722535.jpg Look at this pic. Those parts don't look too familiar. Something new hopefully! Edited by WnW_Rocks