WhiteWater World Construction Discussion

Richard

There will be alloy (copper/aluminium) and a top steel plate sandwiched between the layers of rubber on the base of the boats. Because, as you'll notice, the magnet assemblies are one-sided, the steel plate creates the perpendicular magnetic field required for optimal induction, which occurs in the alloy beneath it. Heat shouldn't be an issue given they're only over the LIMs for short few-second bursts at a time followed by wet sections and, as you said yourself earlier the required forces will be much less than those on a coaster due to the fractional weight, so we won't see heating anywhere near as much as on a LIM coaster. As for the heat of the magnets, dispatch intervals will take cooling into account, as will the constant flowing water over them.

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The comparison is almost impossible to do. It's like comparing tyres and roads. Which one is better? A Maglev system is a way of suspending a vehicle/train in the air to reduce frictional resistance. LIMs are used in many Maglev systems to do the actual driving of the vehicles. A better comparison would be Maglev vs. conventional track/wheels.

The maglev system that Jamberoo have mentioned is identical to WhiteWater World's system. For some reason they've decided to call it maglev, a name which is an inaccurate description of the propulsion system at best. The Jamberoo Rocket slide will not be a maglev system. In fact it's just the opposite, as the boats will be magnetically stuck to the floor of the slide because of how they work, not levitating as the word maglev implies.

Theres an article about WWW in a gold coast liftout in The Sunday Mail. It has revealed the names of the attractions. The wave pool- is the cave of waves, the racer slide is the blue ringed octopus, the tornado is the green room, the watercoaster is the supertubes hydrocoaster. And then there is the temple of huey- an inner tube ride featuring "serpentine curves and screaming 360s" and the rip- a hair raising ride involving a whirlpool a curtain of water and a pitch black plunge.

These names sound really, uh, crap if you ask me. :huh: I mean the Tornado is going to be called: "The Green Room" - What the hell has it got to do with a waterslide, What is a Green Room? :blink: I don't think these are real names cork. Scan the article and post it up, then we will see if these are official names. ;) I just find them really silly, Therefore, finding it hard to believe!! What do you guys think about the "proposed names"? CoasterBoy6

I think the names are actually ok. Going on the names sounds like the theming will be sorta like 50'-60's beach culture. Could work quite well. And Coaster Boy 6 - "Green Room" is a surfing reference. When a surfer gets a tube (a waves that stays fully formed and curls over the rider) they call the inside of the tube 'the green room'. P.S - heading to the coast in bout an hour, will take some pics if it looks like there's something more since Richard's massive update!

Edited by OzCoasterFreek

Hmmm, didn't YOU read the article properly?

The Green Room. Sucks riders into the deepest, most awe inspiring part of the wave.
We all know what slide is big and green.....
Super Tubes Hydrocoaster. A roller coaster on water with drops, loops and turns.
Sounds suspiciously like that orange and red thing with the uphill bits.
The temple of Huey. An inner tube ride featuring "serpentine curves and screaming 360s"
Hmm, what slides have lots of turns and 360s sounds like the ones that are over at Cyclone.
The Rip. A hair raising ride involving a whirlpool, a curtain of water and a pitch black plunge.
Well the whirlpool is obviously refering to the big red and purple bowl, and we know from richos update that there is a water curtain at the end at the end. And of course we have seen a number of purple slide segments sitting around, which will naturally be pretty dark inside. I can confirm that these are the actual names, I guess they are original, but I think that "The Green Room" is far too out there, only people who know about surfing will get it, I think most people (like I did when i was told about it) will think about its meaning with regard to showbiz. I think the article has poorly described some of the rides though, the Rip's description and the Green Rooms description in paticular. They used the word "planned" in the past tense, meaning they have already been organized and are opening with the park.

Yeah these are most definitely the names for the opening attractions. Believe me when I say the last thing on anyone's mind at the park is expansion. The names do seem a little out there and obscure at best. They're the same kinds of surfing buzz-words you find on an old afternoon kid's programme, which I suppose would be the ideal market this theme will appeal to. You also do have to understand that Dreamworld does have a sense of humour when it coes to this kind of thing - The Claw and Cyclone's theming are two very clear examples of a tongue-in-cheek approach to both those themes.

Firstly welcome along to the site. It's always great to see new members contributing. The loops they refer to are in fact the ride's helices - horizontal loops, not vertical loops. http://www.roller-coaster.com.au/gallery.p...59&image=19 As far as attractions for the new water park go, everything listed in our WhiteWater World Profile is what the park will be opening with in two months. There won't be any other attractions added between now and then.

Who cares what the name is? People are going to ride the rides for the quality, not the name. And they aren't that bad anyway! For example: You don't just judge someone because their name is "John" or something.. Anyway how good does the wave pool sound! 1.5 meter waves and a 50m break AWESOME. I get cramps in the WnW one..

Who cares what the name is? People are going to ride the rides for the quality, not the name. And they aren't that bad anyway! For example: You don't just judge someone because their name is "John" or something.. Anyway how good does the wave pool sound! 1.5 meter waves and a 50m break AWESOME. I get cramps in the WnW one..
Totally agree, peope should just be glad we have a new waterpark opening with slides that they were wishing was avaliable here. I don't go on the Speed Coaster for the "speed", I go on that because it's a water slide, I don't go on the slidewinder because it's on the side; I go on it because it's a good water slide, I don't go on the twister just to "twist" around; it's a fun slide. Names are exactly that and nothing more. What does Lethal Weapon have to do with a rollercoaster? what does a cyclone have to do with a coaster? what does a claw have to do with a giant discus ride?? Names are names they dont make the ride.

I don't go on the Speed Coaster for the "speed"
Hahahaha. There is absolutely nothing speedy about that water ride. It's the most over-hyped terrible addition Wet 'n' Wild has ever received. I'd rather sit another exam than have to queue for such a lackluster experience. The names are fine; I guess. They're no worse than 'Batwing'.

Totally agree, peope should just be glad we have a new waterpark opening with slides that they were wishing was avaliable here. I don't go on the Speed Coaster for the "speed", I go on that because it's a water slide, I don't go on the slidewinder because it's on the side; I go on it because it's a good water slide, I don't go on the twister just to "twist" around; it's a fun slide. Names are exactly that and nothing more. What does Lethal Weapon have to do with a rollercoaster? what does a cyclone have to do with a coaster? what does a claw have to do with a giant discus ride?? Names are names they dont make the ride.
Ok, Ok, I get the point already. They are alright names the only one I really have a probmlem with is the "Green Room" (Tornado) But other than that I'm fine. And I can see were you are coming from lisalila, e.g. lethal weapon has got nothing to do with a rollercoaster. But at least people know what a "cyclone" is and can link it to a rollercoaster. (e.g big turns and fast speeds). Anyway, looks like WWW is going to be a bid hit with not only the themepark enthusiasts but with the general public as well. CoasterBoy6 Edited by Coaster Boy 6