Construction underway on Movie World's newest ride

Richard

I'm confused.. How do you fall faster then gravity, when the gravity is pulling you back down?! :blink::huh: Also, I'm not saying they're lying or wrong. But this could be a lot of gobbles-wad. Has anyone else heard about this?
My Educated Guess would be if you use a mechanical device that actually pulls something down faster then the speed of gravity, this could actually work. :unsure:

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The way a spaceshot works is by having the gondola attached to the piston within a pneumatic cylinder. The air is pumped into the top of the cylinder, pushing the piston down, which causes the gondola to rise. Again using compressed air, the piston is pushed from the bottom of the cylinder to the top, which forces the gondola down. The top of the gondola is attached to the top of the piston, and the bottom to the bottom. So when the piston is pushed down the gondola go up, When the piston is pushed up the gondola goes down. So if you push enough air into the cylinder fast enough, you can in fact force the gondola to travel faster than gravity (9.8m/s/s)

If you understand how a spaceshot works, then you understand that whatever you do to the piston affects the gondola. You can hold the gondola at the top of the tower by pumping enough compressed air into the TOP of the pneumatic cylinder. This will hold the piston down, holding the gondola up. Forcing you down faster than gravity is achieved by pumping compressed air in fast enough so that the piston is pushed to the top of the cylinder faster than 9.8m/s/s. Basically, instead of letting you free-fall down to earth, you are Pulled down faster than gravity could pull you.

Ok, remember that the freefall car is moved by cables, which are attached to the bottom and top of the car. To hold it at the top all they would do is stop pumping any air in or out of the central cylinder. Thus the cables wont be hauled up or down and the car will just sit there. (its a bit like when a lift stops at the top floor, the motors stop and the lift is just held there) Now, for falling faster than gravity the car is simply yanked down by the cables rather than just falling at its own pace. Try this: if you have blinds/curtains that use a drawstring attach a peice of tape to the drawstring, the tape represents the freefall car. now quickly pull down on the drawstring and the tape will move down, but notice that its not gravity doing this but you pulling. Its the same thing with the spaceshot, its the cables pulling down, not gravity.

I thought maybe a bobby-pin or two?? Maybe some gel and hairspray will do the trick??
Oops. :D
JUST LOOK HERE, IT WILL EXPLAIN IT ALL:S&S power combo ride tower, aka-batwing
Zane, I know what it is now. But I'm asking if it is only a rumor or it is certain?
I saw it last night from WnW. The reddish/white bit around the batman logo is lit up and it looks soooooo good. Any idea when its actually opening?
From what I gathered, It was to be opening on 26th of December.

it's like the mega drop at travelling shows except the mega drop doesn't have a upwards launch. The Mega Drop has a drop speed of 204km/h on a 45-metre high tower. It takes 3 seconds to drop. When you're on the ride you feel a very fast speed straight away but when your're the Giant Drop you feel going faster. It's just launched freefall. If anyone one's confused just try and pretend your on the GD and MD.

it's like the mega drop at travelling shows except the mega drop doesn't have a upwards launch. The Mega Drop has a drop speed of 204km/h on a 45-metre high tower. It takes 3 seconds to drop. When you're on the ride you feel a very fast speed straight away but when your're the Giant Drop you feel going faster. It's just launched freefall. If anyone one's confused just try and pretend your on the GD and MD.
If that Mega Drop traveled at 204km/h, it would reach the bottom of the tower in under a second. 240km/hour = 56.6meter/second. The Mega Drop doesnt travel that fast. Just thought I should clear that up. Hehe! I was amazed when I heard it traveled that fast... And I believed it until I did the calculations :) Edited by tom

If that Mega Drop traveled at 204km/h, it would reach the bottom of the tower in under a second. 240km/hour = 56.6meter/second. The Mega Drop doesnt travel that fast. Just thought I should clear that up. Hehe! I was amazed when I heard it traveled that fast... And I believed it until I did the calculations smile.gif
That and the fact launching the ride to 240km/h in half a second would be a more powerful launch than TTD :o

Ok, time to pull out the constant acceleration formulas to debunk this one. Using stats from the fabbri website ( see http://www.fabbrigroup.com/products/specif...a=&client=1 ) x = 35m, a=14.7m/s/s (-.5g) u=0m/s v=? using v^2=u^2+2ax so substituting in v^2 = 0^2+2(14.7)(35) v^2 = 1029 v = sqrt(1029) v = 32.08m/s converting to km/h (* by 3.6) = 115km/h note that this would be the speed it would reach if it took the whole tower, but as was said it slows 10m or so before the bottom so its top speed would be less than that.