what do you think of the NEW magic mountain?

ange

so the new magic mountain has finally been opened and is now known as The Beachouse ... has anybody here visited the place yet? if you have what do you think of it? i think its good that its opened, south australia finally has a new amusement park (of sorts) to attract people to the place. yes we still have puzzle park and greenhills ... but they are so outdated and run down ... not to mention a reasonable way out from the city. it was sad to see magic mountain go ... even though it was a lil old itself it was a lot of fun ... and easy to get to too. i think that it'll give glenelg a new lease on life and attract more young people and families back there. so personally im glad that The Beachouse has been opened ... what does everybody else out there think?

so the new magic mountain has finally been opened and is now known as The Beachouse ... has anybody here visited the place yet? if you have what do you think of it? i think its good that its opened, south australia finally has a new amusement park (of sorts) to attract people to the place. yes we still have puzzle park and greenhills ... but they are so outdated and run down ... not to mention a reasonable way out from the city. it was sad to see magic mountain go ... even though it was a lil old itself it was a lot of fun ... and easy to get to too. i think that it'll give glenelg a new lease on life and attract more young people and families back there. so personally im glad that The Beachouse has been opened ... what does everybody else out there think?
yep I have been talking to them, they're really nice people who i will be seeing very shortly to get some stuff. Always good to get a new park no matter where it is in Australia too.

Is there a web site for this new place? I'll be in Adelaide in February as i my sister and i will be going from Perth to Adelaide on the Indian Pacific in gold Kangaroo class. We'll be in Adelaide for 1 night. Can't wait to visit this place, If it's something like Magic Mountain. EDIT : Here's the web site. http://www.thebeachouse.net.au/

Edited by dreamworld_rulz

I think its OK. The architectural style of the place doesnt really appeal to me, it just doesnt look right, they should have looked to some of the newer shopping centers going up for an idea of how to do a bulky building without making it look ugly. Also i think some of the newer rides are good (Eg the 1 arm ferris wheel) but i think it treads over too much of the same ground of the past magic mountain rather than being truly innovative. Like with the waterslides, it would have been cool if they varied it a bit, rather than having 3 body slides, they could have prehaps done more, eg 2 body slides, a couple of raft slides, a cloverleaf slide and a high speed turbo tunnel, all these would have improved marketability. Dodgem cars and Bumper Boats are just the same thing again, nothing that special, but still an OK attraction. I have only seen a little bit of the mini golf course but it looks nice. Maybe a few new attractions could have been put in to improve more upon the previous Magic Mountain.

Edited by Gazza

• 7 months later...

I was in Adelaide over the weekend so I got a chance to check this place out. But I didn't have much time so the only thing I ended up doing was the waterslides. I'll go back a bit. The whole place is sort of what you would get if you added rides to a Timezone arcade. There was an outdoor bumper boats pool, bumper cars on the floor directly above, the carousel from Magic Mountain running once again, an outdoor mini golf course with a sort of old mill theme, a soft play area and of course tons of arcade games. You are free to walk in, but if you want to ride or play anything you have to get this credit card type thing which you put money on, the stupid thing though is you have to pay $2 for a card...normally these things are free. There is a restrained modern look to the place, but the waterside tower looks terrible, just this metal paneled 'block' sticking up in the air. But anyway, on to the slides. You head up an escalator to the second floor where the landing zone is. It is all glassed in and rather compact. Lockers and change rooms are right beside too. Before you head up to the top you swipe your waterproof card through a turnstile which then takes one ride off (I didnt bother looking to see if unlimited passes were avaliable). From there it is a lengthy, but easy trip up ramps to the top. There were windows from which you could see out onto the beach, unfortunately the louvers were left open making it a bit chilly. When you reach the top there is actually a very smart system in place, basically there is a turnstile in front of each slide, and a button on it with a light, when the button lights up you can press it, and the turnstile lets you through, spacing out riders and making it impossible for people to make chains. There were 3 slides to choose from; the duel, the speed and the raft. The duel was a greenish/teal translucent colour, and was more of a gentle slide, but bigger so you can sit up or ride tandem. Unfortunately the ride had a couple of long helixes , which aren't terribly exciting because it feels similar to going down a long straight. Its directional changes that make a slide good. The speed appeared to be a turbo tunnel type thing (I hadn't gone around the back at that point to see the layout), with a blue, translucent,narrow tube (like on the BRO) which forced you to lie down. I could imagine people getting claustrophobic because of how narrow and long the slide was, but I didn't mind it. It wasn't that much faster than the white water mountain slides though, it turned out to have a steady gradient all the way through, with no drops....just a really long slide. There were a few turns along the way, but it felt a bit jarring with awkward straight sections in the middle of turns, and on top of that rough joins between segments. It sort of highlights how far behind AWL is compared to Proslide and the like. However, The Raft was a good one and the only one which needed a 2 man raft, better than terror canyon IMO. Heaps of twists and turns, a long run, good pacingand no lights or fibre optics at all so there was no sense of direction in the pitch black darkness, it was just plain fun. I guess overall the place is worth a look if you are in Adelaide, it would be something for a rainy day, though its nothing really new if you get me, if you like dodgems, slides and so forth then you'd have fun there.

post-88-1174265392_thumb.jpg

post-88-1174265492_thumb.jpg

post-88-1174265617_thumb.jpg

post-88-1174265739_thumb.jpg

post-88-1174266158_thumb.jpg