A new Disneyland will be built in Shanghai

Adam

You gotta love the Chinese Media:

Compared with Hong Kong, which has got a Disneyland already, obviously Pudong District is a better place to realize such a beautiful dream.
Hopefully they've learnt how to deal with the Chinese market after their efforts in Hong Kong. Not ganna hold my breath though and to be honest I'm more looking forward to another round of crazy news reports about guest behaviour when the park opens then anything. Edit: Is the placed really pronounced Poo Dong? Edited by joz

• 4 months later...

I wish they'd build a disneyland somewhere in Australia, or at least make the Asian one worth making the trip over for. My friend went to Hong Kong Disney in september and said the shortest time he spent wating for a ride was about 10 minutes and that the only half decent ride was Space Mountain, which was still no where near as good as the American ones.

I'm sorry, but having been to HK Disneyland twice and being able to compare it to both WDW and DL Anaheim, I'm more than in a postion to say that HKD is a fantastic park with a potential future that is probably second to only that of WDW. The park is spotless, beautifully created, has a range of great attractions, includes the best Autopia I've seen, has a brilliant jungle cruise and is staffed by the friendliest Disney staff of anywhere. I'd go and visit the new Chinese one in a heartbeat. Please don't bag the parks if you haven't been. If there's one sweeping generalisation that I can make with absolute confidence, is that Disney haven't made a bad park yet. They pick places with potential for growth as well as with a view of the existing market, and I'm sure whatever goes in will be nothing short of fantastic. It comes down to what I've said before. I think that Disney recognises that Australians are some of the most comfortable travellers in the world. We think nothing of overseas trips and holidays, and a huge number of families travel to the US parks each year to the point where the trip to Disneyland as a kid is almost a rite of passage for Australian kids (not that I ever did it :P ) Building an Australian park for an immediate local population of a few million with national tourism only adding another few million to that number? Sorry guys.... but Disneyland Australia is nowhere in the foreseeable future.

That's awesome to hear. I've seen plenty of photos from Hong Kong Disneyland and what they've all demonstrated is a well built, thoughtfully designed theme park that makes the most of 50 years of acquired knowledge. What I've seen has never matched the kind of criticisms it's received from enthusiasts and media alike. It seems to me that people are too quick to judge what's not there, while ignoring the park's strengths. I definitely must echo Richard's points about the unlikeliness of a Disney park ever being built on our shores. I remember as a kid hearing dozens of recounts from friends and relatives about the wonders of Disneyland. It quite literally is a situation where any family that could afford a decent holiday at any future Australian Disney resort can also afford to make the pilgrimage to California or Florida to visit the parks there. Our population, population density, isolation and exchange rate simply don't support a park of this nature. Considering parks in far more viable markets like Europe and Asia have come close to financial failure in the past, there is simply no chance of a Disney park working well in Australia.

I agree! But being only 15 I am disapointed! (lol) And my ears still try to go around what you's are saying even though it is correct! Im just disapointed, but I am going to Japan next year with school and part of the trip is going to four theme parks, Tokyo Dome, Universal Studios and DISNEYLAND TOKYO AND DISNEY SEA! so I am so excited! I'll take heaps of photos and post them (even though its not till november 2007! (and My parents dislike themeparks so the most I've got to go to was the Gold Coast ones and this little crudy thing in Ireland (if you could call it a themepark) I hope Disney Japan Is as nice as you make the Hong Kong one out to be! :lol: