Superman Escape Loose Items

bern1992

Remembering it's only one coin as opposed to thousands of rain drops. The rain its being blown by the wind in one direction and you just happen to be going the other, sure if it hit you while you were on the ride it would damn hurt, but I was thinking more if it landed on someone's head. Oh, and water is pretty much as solid as metal once you're going fast enough, was on one of those episodes of Mythbusters.

What'd you expect? For them to pat you down before entering the queue line? Most of the time a visual glance is enough to tell if there's something in your pockets, but as the rider you have to take some responsibility in what you take on the ride. Something like a $1 coin in your pocket isn't going to stick out at all, so in that case it up to you to do the right thing.

I think they should install airport style security measures to stop things like this happening. I mean a $1 coin for gods sake do you realise how much damage that could have done to someone or to the ride. If I were you I would be thinking seriously about filing a lawsuit against Movie World as there was a potential for someone to die. "The Bus is now leaving for The College Of Law, NSW"

If a park plans to institute and enforce a strict no-items policy, then it's their prerogative to actively search and instruct riders to remove all loose items. The burden is not, nor should it be, placed on the individual to remember. The policy is not in place to make people worry about insignifiant items, it's because a no-exceptions policy is a lot easier to manage and has no grey areas. It's to stop people taking things of size onto the ride such as bags etc. Coins are actually effectively harmless at these kinds of heights - a nasty sting and some bruising if you bruise easily is the most you could hope for if hit by most of our coins.

• 3 weeks later...

I think that it is smartthey have a procedure like this in effect, but the fact that it is $1 to rent a locker. When I was there my Uncle lost money-he had to give it to one of the ride employee people coz he didn't want to pay for a locker. I don't want to be paying for things like that after I've already payed the entrance fee-even if it is only a dollar. They should make use of them free.

• 5 years later...

There no loose items rule is relly bad. I where glasses and they will not let me where them in the line which means I can't enjoy the signs they put up as they are all blurry, and after I exited the Superman Escape they expect you to see your ride photos on the wall behind the counter, but I can't see them as they are blurry - at least the lady behind the counter let me see my photo on the screen on the counter. My photoi was quite funny so I theought I'll buy that - but wait I don't have my wallent due to the no loose items rule, so why do they put a gift shop at the exit when no one can buy from it after exiting? As for the lockers I decided to go for an all day locker for $10. Can you use notes, no. You to use $10 worth of coins to pay for the locker. Who has $10 in coins , it's a con to get you to buy something. I understant that you cannot have loose items on the ride and that the exit is in a different area then the entry, but can't they creata and conver belt system for loose items that will transfer you items over to the next room? I worked at Movie world when the Supeman Escape opened and when I was told I was noot allowed loose items I used the staff lockers which use a key, so I rode it with a key in my pocket. There was a 0% chance it would fall out as the ride doesn't even go upside down. And what's with a gift shop at the exit if you cannot bring in loose items?

Just two points of note... there is not a 0% chance a key will fall out. Also it's not so much the inversions on a coaster that will cause items to fall out of your pockets, its the g forces, particularly ejector air which superman has HEAPS of that will literally 'throw' items off you.

Why do they have lockers/loose items rule? It speeds up loading time - guarantees the riders (and people observing the ride underneath the track) are safe from becoming injured by a loose "flying" object - and last but not least, they make easy money for the park!

Last time I rode there was a guy inline with me who had prescription glasses and he was told by the attendant at the queue entrance that he would be able to wear them to the loading gates where the ride attendant will put them in a basket and transfer them to unload, so I don't know why they didn't let Gary86 do the same? Superman has been running with its locker system successfully since its opening - Love it or hate it, I highly doubt Movieworld will introduce the loose item system Dreamworld utilises.

This is when having a non-riding friend or family member comes in handy, to hold the loose items while the others ride. I myself have prescription glasses and have been told by the staff at the queue entrance to wear them until seated and the attendant will then take them from me - which is the same for Superman and Green-Lantern.

It would be best if the parks adopted what the parks in the US do. Some parks operate on a system like Dreamworlds on smaller capacity rides such as roller coasters. The other system they use is lockers that are free for the time that you are in the que (time adjusted depending on the time of year) and after that you need to pay. Movie World would never do it now as it would lose them money but they shouldn't of been so money hungry in the first place.