Wonderland News (Beach Construction!)

Flea

I just got back from yet another trip to Wonderland. A lot of changes have occured, but I unfortunately didn't get any photos. My digital camera has yet to be sent away to be fixed (got broken due to an unfortunate accident caused by a ride op). Anyway, here's what I saw today.. -- Whilst riding Demon, I turned my head to the right on the second lift. I noticed a crane working on the structure of the Speed/Freefall slides. It seems that the slides are being demolished.. but only time will tell on whats really happening. -- The blue wall in the main plaza (Super hero headquarters wall) has been extended to cover the "echo room". -- Merlin's floss (located in Transylvania) has been painted with bright "Marti Gra" colours. I believe the colours were bright yellow, blue, green and red. The new store is going to be called 'Chills & Thrills'. These new colours certainly do not suit the dark and gloomy feel that Transylvania currently offers. -- Due to high winds today, only one car was operating on Space Probe (Car no. 2). Despite the small attendance at Wonderland today, Space Probe was generating 30 minute queues. I did however bring my 2003 SP ride count up to 301! -- The Bush Beast is still closed. I did not bother to go down to Goldrush today, so I didn't see any changes done to the ride. There were no tests today, which obviously means that the TBB won't be opening any time soon. -- It seems that buildings are currently in construction at the Business Park. I saw a few large blue frames just to left of the 2nd carpark (or construction office car park..). -- Space Probe's sound system has been made much louder (in the queue and at the top for the countdown). It gives much more of a 'scary' feel to the ride, and you can finally understand the news report! :) That's my news today. I really wish I had my camera with me, but hopefully I get some next week. :) Thanks for reading, ~Flea

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, we just got back from Wonderland, well I didn't really. I had to go to Homebush and drop off my dad for the rugby. (Go Aussies! :) ) When driving past the beach slides, I happened to notice a few banners. One read Superhero Headquarters, Other the Spellbinding Sorcery and another new thing. It read: Totally Wild This Winter! New to the Wildlife Park: "Croc & Snake Man!" It looks like the Wildlife Park is getting spoilt with a few things this year. That includes the new "MANIAC" - biggest salt water croc in NSW and the "Croc & Snake Man!".

Damn Liam u beat me to it! I didnt go today however saw the crane when i was driving past! I could only see the top of the beach slide thingy from the road and it had the roof taken off. Thunder were you told of this being done to the beach slides? Chills & Thrills- I like the name. Sounds better than merlins floss factory. I think that the whole main plaza may become Super Hero Headquarters i cant wait till it opens even though it's just a shop! I hope they dont pull out the echo area :( I will see what info i can dig up tomorrow if i go. Was billy working today Flea? Did you say hi to him from wonderland operator? What he say? I might take a camera tomorrow and see what i can take some picis of!

The construction on the tower seems to be getting more intense with a big plastic lining down one side and levels of scaffolding branching out on the other side. I have heard from a few different sources that they are just re-flooring each level to make it safer. It seems like a lot of work just for a bit of refurbishing though. I certainly hope something bigger is happening!

I think the last post is correct UNFORTUNATELY! Upon closer observation it looks as if they are simply reinforcing the structure. IF the beach is getting a new slide I don't think it will have anything to do with the work they are currently doing on the tower. Very dissapointing but certainly not surprising.

I can assure everyone that the Beach is getting a new slide. How? Here is a copy of a email received by me from my contact in managment. "This year the BEACH at Wonderland will be celebrating our 10th birthday and with this will be opening a new slide. The beach area will receive a new face and with this we will be giving away an undisclosed amount to one lucky punter. Stay tuned for more details." When I questioned the park about the rumor of a B&M coaster coming to the park, the responce was "It has been raised, however at this stage I am unable to comment as to whether or not it is coming to Wonderland Sydney." So I ask you as nice as I can, where you are getting your information from reguarding the construction, as I have just told you mine. 8)

Seaworld has a similar (ok, identical) structure in it's water park, and its not uncommon too see all the slides taken off and put together, add to that the stairs on the tower which are taken off and fixed up every few years. Its all part of maintaining the structure, nothing really too it. Plus every so often on water slides, they have to be resealed, since long wear and tear can cause uncomfortable grooves to from at the joins.

All I can say is I personally will definitely be trusting the information given by Thunder (who has been a long time poster to the forum, with plenty of insightful info.) over someone who has just suddenly appeared, claiming to be a former employee, and all they seem to do is say the opposite to anyone else. Perhaps you could provide some proof of who you are before trying to convince us with all this 'expert' knowledge you posses.

Ok then I will bite, WONDERLANDOP. You are right that the park reads this fourm, and that they give out misleading info to ppl who they think are leaking info to the general public. This happened to me with Dreamworld. I was walking through the park and overheard some "suits" saying that the skull to the Tower of Terror was being moved to the other side. I posted the info as a rumor and went to get the official responce from the park. They told me that it was not the case at all. One year later the Skull was moved to make way for the Nick Central coaster. You would be surprised at the lies that you are told. I will say that I am sorry if I did not get your name right, but I have not seen the above mentioned name for a while and then you turn up with allmost the same name? To close for my likeing. Oh and BTW, My contact comes from upper managment and that is all that I can say, as my contacts are my OWN!! If you don't believe me that is fine, but my track record with info stands for itself, over 98% correct. The B&M for wonderland is still the only one NOT YET correct.

The funny thing is that any of you could be right. The fact is that Wonderland's upper management have also said in the past that Wonderland would be getting a wave pool, a hotel, a golf course and a new bungee style ride. None of this happened at the time (several years ago). So it just shows that even when management tells you something, it may not neccesarily actually end up happening, as history shows. I think that is also one of the main reasons why they don't like info leaking out, because often stuff does not end up going ahead for various reasons. I do believe Thunder has a good contact in upper management and that is about as reliable as it gets. Operational staff (including supervisors) usually don't find out 'till the last second. Still, in saying this, nobody knows for sure but I have my fingers crossed once again.

Sorry thunder but i have never used wonderlandop as my username on this forum or any other. As for upper management being reliable, this is a load of rubbish. Approx 2 years ago all attraction staff were told in a meeting by the CEO that WS was getting 3 new rides by Christmas time (it was around May/June when this meeting was held). Where are the new rides? This shows you that what upper management tells you can be a load of crap. ~Former

If you had read my post properly Former, you would understand that I was saying that upper management are NOT always reliable (refer to the example I give in the post). However, upper management are far more aware of future park developments than operational supervisors/staff. It's as simple as that.

C'mon guys...this is suppose to be a site to discuss news & rumors about THE PARKS, not an email war a thon. For that matter I also don't believe it's here to have " What my day at Wonderland was like" either. If you want to contribute something APPART from news & rumours , please take it elsewhere :rolleyes: I don't log onto this site to read about who's right or wrong w/their information...it's just the information that I'm interested in, but that's just IMO.

To please the other readers of this forum I will stop the info war and leave it alone. I stand by my past record of info and will take the wait and see attuditute. If I am wrong, then I am man enough to say so should that time come, but if I am right, then I expect the same from the other party involved. So I will leave it at this and see what happens, which I am sure those around the park will inform us of. And I also stand by the little peice of info that I have given to some posters on this site about the new ride next year. That also we will have to wait and see about.

I am now sure that the work being done on the slide tower is soley for refurbishing purposes and has nothing to do with any new addition. Also, the large area next to The Beach which is being cleared has recently had an Australand banner placed on the outer fence. I assume this means the area is being cleared for a business park related addition and again nothing to do with The Beach. So my question is... where and when is this rumoured new slide happening?

Apparantley it's The Beach's 10th bday. I would have thought the new slide/s would be built in time for this years season opening sometime in September. I doubt that's going to happen though. So maybe you're right... IF it's going to happen it's more likely to be xmas. I can't believe The Beach has been there for 10 years without a single addition or change. There really is not much to it in its present state - 2 basic pools, one enclosed flume and a standard speed and free fall slide.