Adelaide Show

If anyone is going to the Adelaide Show (1-9 Sept) could you take some pics please? [/quote Yesterday at the opening of the show was a boiling day wit no clouds in the sky. I couldnt ride any rides yet as my doctor didnt let me (appendix operation) But me and my friend (he was too scared to ride the twin flip). We noticed smoke coming out of the top of it at about 12pm (while all my friends were on it) Later that night at 7.05 the ride did break down injuring a person leg, who had to be treated. Then later we went to the human cannonbowl and watched it. It was her first shot in Australia this year since she left America not long ago. They had altered the inflatable crash mat so it was more difficult for her to land. She shot up in the sky and her head landed at the end of the crash mat where she then flipped and landed straight onto the ground. Medical staff and ambulances rushed to the main arena to treat her, later she was rushed to the Royal Adelaide Hospital.... Yes great start to the show NEWS FROM FIRST DAY AT ADELAIDE SHOW (Advertiser) http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0...5006301,00.html A HUMAN cannonball stunt at the Royal Adelaide Show nearly ended in tragedy yesterday. Stuntwoman Stephanie Smith clipped the back edge of the airbag meant to break her fall after her 35m flight across the main arena. The American stuntwoman then landed heavily on her back on the ground. Ms Smith was treated on the oval before being taken by ambulance to the Royal Adelaide Hospital. The hospital last night would not release details on her condition at her request. In another Show incident last night, the Twin Flip ride was closed after one of its six carriages reportedly malfunctioned about 7pm. A girl suffered a minor leg injury and was treated at the scene. Show marketing manager Francene Connor said Ms Smith, 22, was talking while being treated but it was too soon to know the extent of her injuries. "Her biggest concern was where her mobile phone was," she said. "It's just one of those freak accidents that happen. Until we know more from her and are able to talk to her about it, we won't be in a position to say any more." Witnesses said they heard Smith hit the ground. Aimee Formosa, of Smithfield Plains, watched the act from the grandstand and said it had been clear it was going wrong. "She knew she was going too far and she was waving her arms," she said. "She looked like she knew she was in trouble and when she landed, we heard a thud. It was scary." The Human Cannonball act debuted at the Show last year and drew crowds to the main arena. Last year, the landing surface was a net above the ground. Mrs Connor said she did not know why the switch had been made to an airbag but the act had been performed without incident at the Brisbane Show last month. Smith last year claimed the "death rate" for human cannonballs was 56 per cent but that her worst injury was two broken ankles, suffered inside the cannon during launch. She had been scheduled to perform her stunt twice daily throughout this year's Show in Adelaide. Meanwhile, SafeWork SA said there would be a full investigation into the Twin Flip incident. The girl was treated at the scene by two St John volunteer officers. SA Ambulance was not called to the scene. St John volunteer state officer for training Russell Dippy said they treated a girl at 7.05pm. "There was just one person treated for a minor leg injury, we had another crew on foot on the way, but they were cancelled very quickly because they weren't needed," Mr Dippy said. "The injured person wasn't brought back to casualty." Mrs Connor said the ride would not be operating "until such time as SafeWork say it is safe to use". The operators of the Twin Flip refused to comment.
Edited by zoggyno1

This is from ninemsn..com.au http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=127161 Three injured at Royal Adelaide Show. Three injured at Royal Adelaide Show Saturday Sep 2 17:28 AEST A sideshow ride that broke, injuring two girls at the Royal Adelaide Show, had been having problems during a recent run in Queensland before being repaired by its operators. The Twin Flip ride was also inspected by SA government safety inspectors just hours before the accident, SafeWork SA said. The incident was one of two on the first day of this year's Adelaide Show after a human cannonball was injured after being fired 35m through the air and wide of the airbag meant to cushion her fall. Stunt performer Stephanie Smith, also known as "Lady Cannonball", was taken to hospital with spinal injuries. SafeWork spokesman Paul Adams said the Twin Flip ride had been having problems during a recent run in Queensland and its operators had bought a new part and brought an engineer over from Italy to fix the machine. The part was fitted and a SafeWork SA inspector gave the ride the green light at lunchtime. At 7pm on Friday night the ride broke again. A carriage had come loose and tipped over prompting operators to stop the ride suddenly, injuring two teenage girls in the process. The girls were treated at the scene for bruising. Mr Adams said constraints on time and resources meant SafeWork SA inspectors were not able to conduct a full engineering check of the ride. "There were no obvious defects," Mr Adams said. However, he said the malfunction had highlighted some concerns with SafeWork SA's system of checks. "It's something we've got to look at," he said. SafeWork SA has issued a prohibition notice on the ride, closing it down indefinitely. Mr Adams said SafeWork SA had taken a particularly vigilante approach to sideshow rides at the show after a carriage flew off the Spin Dragon ride in 2000 injuring 36 people. Meanwhile, Ms Smith, also known as Lady Cannonball, was taken to Royal Adelaide Hospital with back and spinal injuries after missing her target when she was fired from a cannon. Mr Adams said SafeWork SA had inspected the site but would not be investigating the incident. Ms Smith, a self employed stunt worker, had completed the proper hazard identification and risk assessment and had the proper risk management process in place, Mr Adams said. "In stunt work things go wrong," he said. "She had done all she could to keep herself safe but unfortunately this accident happened." ©AAP 2006 If this ride was having probs at a previous show then worksafe should have not declared it safe.

... Interesting about the Twin Flip accident, as it was experiencing alot of issues at Ekka. And they actually tore down the ride before the show even finished, Due to the nature of the problems at Ekka, It didn't really suprise me that this happened. But it is a sad incident that happened, and my thoughts go out to the 3 girls and there families who were effected by the Twin Flip incident. And my thoughts also go out to Stephanie Smith and her family and hope they all recover fast.

What a shame because this is an awesome ride. Not sure if its the exact same one but the Twin Flip was at a carnival in my area around Christmas / NYE in 2005 and it is loads of fun. If it is the same ride and it hasnt been sold then the operator definately ISNT shonky. I hope they work out the problem so that this ride can operate again soon, unfortunately tho its reputation will be slightly marred now by news coverage and people being scared off but ill get back on it for sure. Id much rather trust it or any similar aged ride as opposed to some of the older ones. Maybe it will need a revamp and new name!

Was at the Adelaide Show today. The carnival layout is much the same as previous years. The sligshot has been moved slightly with the Extreme G Force ride taking its place. Didn't like the placement of this ride It should have been placed in the main section of the carnival. The Space Roller was attracting a bit of interest. Though the queues for most rides wasn't long. The Rockin' Tugboat looked like an interesting ride for the kids! Work Safe SA Inspectors spent a good part of the afternoon looking at the Twin Flip, with a security guard posted at the ride with all entry points secured with incident tape. I don't know how rides like the Mega Mix survive. At most there was only 3 or 4 people on it at any given time today. I would like to see the return of some of the older rides to Adelaide like the Zipper (a favourite!) I'll be heading across to Melbourne in a couple of weeks and have planned to attend the new look Showgrounds. I've atttached a couple of pics from today. Cheers, B post-403-1157618186_thumb.jpg post-403-1157618321_thumb.jpg post-403-1157619227_thumb.jpg post-403-1157619276_thumb.jpg post-403-1157619335_thumb.jpg