The Wii

Gazza

Crap. PS3 will be better. Save your dough for the PS3.
LOL, well i guess you changed your tune, glad you are enjoying it though.
Hmmm, maybe they could make a Wii version of Thrillville and you pull the lap bar down and simple things like that... Just an idea...
I thought exactly the same thing, also you could do stuff like using the sideways hold to drive a bumper car, or in pointer mode to operate those spray stations, or the vertical hold to operate the steering lever in a paddle boat. Also the pointer makes this sort of thing much easier (Its actually quite similar to using a mouse and doesn't take long to use it accurately)

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woo! Talk about PERFECT timing! I'm getting one in a few days time. Does it work with all websites? Does anyone know if more plugins will be available apart from flash?
Your best bet is to look at the offical site or at some gaming sites since they probably would have reviewed it properly by now. Enjoy it BTW.

I got mine today! The sensor bar looks a lot different to how I imagined it would. Concerning the WiiConnect24 Service, has anyone found it to be really slow? At first I thought it was just my internet connection, but then I noticed there was hardly any bandwidth being consumed. I'm using the WiFi adapter from my DS as I don't have a wireless router. Will the distance away from the Wii affect the speed?

I got mine today! The sensor bar looks a lot different to how I imagined it would. Concerning the WiiConnect24 Service, has anyone found it to be really slow? At first I thought it was just my internet connection, but then I noticed there was hardly any bandwidth being consumed. I'm using the WiFi adapter from my DS as I don't have a wireless router. Will the distance away from the Wii affect the speed?
Yes it does. It's pretty slow loading but as i have a wireless router i find that the closer it is the router the faster it loads. Edited by dreamworld_rulz

It's working fine now! I'm posting this from my Wii! :)Slow to type though... Best thing since sliced bread IMO.
Yes very time consuming although you can buy a keyboard but i'm not sure if it's available yet. Have you mastered the Baseball yet? The Boxing gives you a great workout. EDIT : Check your wrist strap to see what version you have. I've got the old version. I'll be ringing them up on Wednesday for a replacement. Check here Edited by dreamworld_rulz

Nope, I suck immensely at baseball! I tried the fitness test thing, and what did it tell me? It said I was 61 years old! :o All because I didn't hit a single baseball. :P I'll try again tomorrow, it was the first thing I did so I probably have improved. I'll definitely buy a keyboard if they aren't expensive. Are they wireless or do they plug into the USB ports? About the wrist strap, I've got a feeling I've got the old version, but I can't really tell. The newer picture looks rubbery and mine is the string version you find on most lanyards/wrist straps. Is it worth bothering to get a replacement? (Oh, and I'm using the computer again, to slow to type on the Wii).

I've got no idea if their wireless or not. Don't know nothing about price i don't even know if it's available here yet. 61yo :lol: I've hit a few homies and few out of the park. I'd say you've got the old version. It wont hurt to ring Nintendo up and get a replacement. Here's a tip for you. If your playing Tennis and you want to cheat make sure you keep both of your Mii's on the court. That way everytime your opponant hits the ball you'll be able to hit back harder (The Mii that closesest to the net)

Edited by dreamworld_rulz

If your playing Tennis and you want to cheat make sure you keep both of your Mii's on the court. That way everytime your opponant hits the ball you'll be able to hit back harder (The Mii that closesest to the net)
Thanks, I already figured that out, I just jump madly and hope I hit the ball sometimes. :P You know how sometimes in Tennis you smash the ball really hard and it's impossible to hit? How do you do that? I've tried waiting until the ball reaches its peak height before I hit it but it hardly ever works.

I think with the ace serve it is pretty random, there probably is a way to do it every time but i dont know it. I think it tends to happen when you do an "A" button serve, and then just flick the remote down like a hammer instead of doing a full on swing. But what do you mean about "cheating" in tennis? You have 2 Miis by default so its not really cheating at all. Its funny trying to rally between the front two people though. And WnW_Rocks, just stick with baseball, i used to be terrible at it, but you eventually get a feel for the timing and you can be pretty consistent. Its probably the hardest one there. And for the record my best Mii fitness age was 30. Now, as for the wrist strap thing, i wouldnt really bother, i think the whole snapping thing is a load of bull anyway, you would have to be doing something VERY drastic for it to occur. As for me, i took off all my wrist straps. Dangerous? Maybe. But id rather have a more free playing experience, its not like I go letting go of bats in real life or anything so i cant see it happening to me. And as i have said i have whacked an office chair with one and they are pretty sturdy so even if i do release i cant see it breaking. And, on a side note, i found a cool vid of a must own game for the Wii:

Ok maybe it's not cheating but it's close to it. I can't beleive that you don't use the wrist straps? I used to be crap @ Baseball but like gazza said you get to used to it. Have you tried bowling? My highest score is 177. Crap i know, i was on the verge of breaking it as i got 4 strikes in a row :D anyway my oldest sister had her 5th turn and the Wii remote hit the console knocking it off the crate. :angry: The game rebooted and my bowling has never been the same since. :(

Edited by dreamworld_rulz

Perfect for playing Virtual Console games on :P Ok, let's swap Wii Codes. Mine's 8934 5222 4765 1246. Anyone can add me but let me know in this thread so I can add you back, otherwise you won't be able to message me. Wish Nintendo gave us a present via Virtual Console today. There was a rumour going around that they were going to give Super Mario Bros away for free as a bonus but oh well.

Edited by Tony Teulan

Perfect for playing Virtual Console games on :P Ok, let's swap Wii Codes. Mine's 8934 5222 4765 1246. Anyone can add me but let me know in this thread so I can add you back, otherwise you won't be able to message me. Wish Nintendo gave us a present via Virtual Console today. There was a rumour going around that they were going to give Super Mario Bros away for free as a bonus but oh well.
I'll give you mine in the morning as my baby sister & her BF are currently playing it.

Whoa, that's an old TV alright! Can you even get RF Switch Cables for the Wii or can you just use GC/N64 ones? I've got a nice big LG Flatron CRT Widescreen myself. Sure it doesn't have the best quality picture and takes up a fair bit of room being a CRT but it has composite input jacks so I'll be looking at picking the cable up when it comes out. One thing I've noticed which I can't seem to fix, my TV supposedly supports up to 100Hz. When I set it to 60Hz it screws up, but if i change the ratio to 4:3 it works fine. :( Any ideas? I kept my gamecube controller but I sold all but one of my games. (Smash Bros. Melee). :P Can I use it for anything apart from GC games? I bought a classic controller and I'm wondering whether I really need it if I've got a GC one... Or should I just keep 'em both?

Nah, im going via an equally old VCR which has the ports, and the vcr is connected to the TV via RF, but it doesnt matter anymore since we are picking up a new TV in the sales. Good call there tony, its the perfect retro experience for VC games. Also, i think one thing they need to update urgently is the 60Hz mode thing, if your TV doesnt support it its very difficult to put back on 50Hz since the screen becomes garbled. As for your situation, is there something you have to do to the TV itself in its settings to actually have it on 60Hz? And WnW_rocks, you can get the composite cables now, i saw them at the Big W here so just look around and you should be able to get it, they cost $50 though. Oh, and my Wii code is 7777 8408 4704 8441 but i wont be online till i get broadband, which should be in about a weeks time when they send the start up disc.

Edited by Gazza

is there something you have to do to the TV itself in its settings to actually have it on 60Hz? (snip! snip!) Oh, and my Wii code is 7777 8408 4704 8441 but i wont be online till i get broadband, which should be in about a weeks time when they send the start up disc.
I doubt it. I think it's just a case of most new TVs having it on by default. Don't quote me on this though.
Just a side note, when I tried to visit the Wii Shop this arvo, it said that the system was currently undergoing maintenance. Is that because they're adding games to the virtual console?
We can only hope. A Boxing Day bonus perhaps? :P Games are normally added about 10am every Friday. Maybe all the new people Wiiing broke the system. :D Edited by Tony Teulan

I brought a component video cable today. Dished out the whole $50, EB wouldn't do it any cheaper even though they supposedly were having a 'Massive 50% Off Clearance'. Do you think it's worth keeping? To my dismay, I plugged it in, set the screen settings to EDTV/HDTV 480i, and the screen completely f'ed up! :( I spent ages looking through the manual that came with the TV, and then I realised my TV only supported 480p. :( At least it works fine when I set it on 60Hz now! :) The picture is a bit clearer, but nothing spectacular like I hoped. Thoughts?