The Wii

Gazza

Yeah, i got one too today since our TV is coming tommorow (LOL, what a chain of events) Before we picked it out they actually recommended we go and get it to see which one we liked the best and i was able to do a comparison, and it looked pretty good. But WnW, i'd say take them back if you dont think its a real $50 improvement.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well let me know how yours goes, I might keep it just incase we ever upgrade TV's. The only thing I noticed was a slightly faster frame rate and a better reaction time, but I think that was because it was going through the DVD player. Was at Robina yesterday, and they've installed hundreds of new touch-screen directories, which are probably old technology in Brisbane, but anyway, to the point, they displayed commercials on them as a kind of screen saver. There was one advertising the Wii and Rayman: Raving Rabbids. It looked pretty good, definitely eye-catching. Does anyone know when ExciteTruck is coming out? It looks great and I'm thinking about picking it up.

Just a tip for you Virtual Console gamers playing at home ... Set your Country to United Kingdom. You will have to set the Parental Controls setting (as in, off or on) and then go into WiiConnect 24 and say yes to the agreement again. Now when you go into the Wii Shop, you'll find you can access Turbo Grafx games. These weren't brought to the Australian Wii Store because the system never came out here and so they thought demand wouldn't be worth the licencing fee. Normally they cost 600 points. Voila! Extra games for you to play. R-Type, Bomberman, you name it. Today's new games were released as usual at about 10AM. They are - SNES: Super Castlevania IV, SimCity (800 Points Each) NES: Baseball, Ice Hockey (500 Points Each) Turbo Grafx: R-Type (800 Points) Not a bad lineup. R-Type and SC IV are the pick of the bunch and of course SimCity has the nostalgic value. Not sure if the NES ones are any good but they're cheap. Ice Hockey looks fun actually.

Edited by Tony Teulan

EDIT : Here's some cheat codes
LOL, gotta love what that site considers a cheat code:
Bowling: The faster you swing the controller, the faster you move your ball. Remember to let go of B to let the ball go.
Gee, i dunno how everyone has been managing without that bit of info :rolleyes: Anyway, here are some genuine things to try: -In Tennis hold down '2' while doing the "Hold A&B to start" thing and keep it held during the black screen that follows. You end up playing on the blue training court. -In Bowling hold down left, up, or down while pressing A to get through the "ensure there are no objects around you" warning screen and keep it held to get a different coloured ball. (I think left gives pink, down gives green and right gives yellow. -In the bowling "power throws" training game, make the ball roll down the very side of the lane right to the end so it rolls under that red light you can see at the end. The floor shakes and you get a strike (LOL thats over 200 pins).

Man when are they bringing out Mario Kart for the Snes? I can't believe they release the system with no Mario games (store purchased) and no Mario Kart (wii shop purchased). I'm sure if they could bring out 3 or 4 Mario games on the DS they can bring out one on the Wii or make one available for download <_<

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just a couple of minutes ago I noticed the disc drive was glowing, and to my suprise i found my first email from Nintendo. Aparently the News Channel is up and running. Its updating and installing now, so Ill edit in what its like in a little while. Edit: OK, I've just had a little play around with it and it seems pretty good. The interface is similar to the weather channel, with basic controls (that dissapear after a little while) at the top and bottom and all the main stuff in the middle. It gives you local, national and international news. Unfortunatley there was no local stuff, but in terms of national news they had some stuff up about climate change and that $10 Bil water plan (And some articles do have photos you can zoom in on). The international news was much more impressive, with a ton of articles. You can also look by a few other categories (such as technology and sports) the sports one is pretty cool as it has all the up to date scores. There were a couple of other cool things too, they have re-used the globe from the weather channel, but instead there are these nifty 3D stacks of paper sitting all over the surface of the planet, and the height of these represents the amount of stories. When you are zoomed right out there are only a few stacks in major news centers (Tokyo, Sydney, Vienna, New York etc) But when you zoom in the stacks start sorting themselves into smaller piles into local cities. A pretty cool interface. Also, there is this thing called slideshow, where it flashes the headlines in order for a few seconds each, and when you see one that catches your eye you just click in, and when you are done the slideshow keeps going. As for the stories, they seem pretty unbiased and non sensationalist which is good. They are Its done by Associated press so maybe someone who knows more about media can give an opinion of them. When I first heard about this channel, i thought it would just be sanitised stuff with a heavy emphasis on Nintendo related news, instead a found a review of a Microsoft product (Vista) :P 2nd Edit: post-88-1169817751_thumb.jpg Nintendo is funding this channel, and look who they are giving publicity to! post-88-1169817802_thumb.jpg That cool globe interface.

Edited by Gazza

Yeah, I bought Mario Kart 64 yesterday too! I haven't got the news channel just yet, I turned my computer off last night, so my USB Connector was out. Does anyone have more than one classic controller? I don't, but fortunately I kept my GC Controller, which serves a similar purpose. :) I'm waiting for Diddy Kong Racing and a few other games, hopefully they see the light of day despite licensing issues...

Ah yes, I got that too, its basically a must have for the Wii. For those who dont know, Wario Ware is this odd game where you are given quick 4 second microgmes, with a break of roughly the same in between. Its sort of something you need to play for yourself to really understand. But basically in the break between games the position you need to hold the controller in is flashed up, examples include "The Dumbell", "The Remote Control" and "The Handlebar" which are all pretty self explaintory, but there are some odd ones, like "The Mohawk" where you hold the controller on your head, "The Elephant" where you hold it up near your nose and "The Discard" where you have to set the controller down on a flat surface. Next the game appears with a curt instruction that flashes up telling you what to do, such as "Dont Drop", "Sort", "Punch" or "Collect 2". But the fun part is actually manipulating the controller to try and do each microgame in the 4 second limit, for example using "the handlebar" you have to try and spin the controller around in 3D so the barcode of a grocery gets read by a scanner, using "the mohawk" you physically jump in the air to header a soccer ball or by using "the remote control" you wave it around to shoo away pests. I have quite enjoyed it, its quite fun because the game speeds up making it even more frantic to play and simply trying to win as many microgames in a row without losing all 4 chances gives it pretty good replay value.

Some of the games are hard as they don't come with instructions. But it helps if you have a guinea pig. :lol:
Thats where "The temple of form" is useful, just put the cursor over the icon of the game you dont understand and instructions scroll across the bottom of the screen. But IMO most of the games are intuitive enough to work out pretty easily.

Today's games are Super Mario World (SNES, 600 points), Zelda II (NES) - which is actually a side-scrolling action game, not an RPG - 500 points - & a game called Vigilante for Turbografx - 600 points (if you have your Country set to 'United Kingdom'). Vigilante is a side-scrolling beat-em-up game where Madonna has been kidnapped and you must get her back.

Edited by Tony Teulan