The Wii

Gazza

Nintendo have just announced the Wii will be going on sale here on the 7th of December for $399. For those of you unfamiliar with it, there some stuff on the Nintendo website, and a nice video on youtube showing basically what it does (

) This is definitley on my shopping list now, it looks like its going to be very fun to play, pretty innovative, and hopefully will be a sucess for them. My fingers are crossed they do a cricket game on it, lol imagine bowling. Was anyone planning on getting this?

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh I wish I was still into gaming. It certainly does look good, and I hope it does Nintendo good, as to be honest, they haven't done so well over the past few years or so. Unfortunatly I gave up gaming for education and Broadcasting (thats Broad, not POD) a few years ago. I can't remember the last time I touched that Playstation 2.

*coughs* My disc draw snapped on my PS2, warranty was expired. Glued it up and sold it on eBay. Problem solved. Only problem with the Wii is that half of its services rely on having WiFi, something most of us probably wouldn't have. I'll probably look into it though. 81 days to go I think...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was at Highpoint shopping center in Melbourne on Monday and I was fortunate enough to have a go at a few games on the Wii demo they had there. (DW Rulz, since you head there often you should check it out, its on Level 1) I came away very impressed and I am looking foward to it being released here finally. First up i had a go at Wii Play, its basically just a few minigames that come packaged when you buy a second Wiimote. They had a duck hunt type game which basically involved pointing and shooting little targets, not paticulary special IMO. They also had laser hockey, where you move the remote to move the hitter, and turn the remote to change the angle. But it seemed far to sensitive and again seemed a bit plain. Next I had a go at Wii Sports, the game that is included with the system. This game was fantastic, the motion control worked flawlessly and they were plain fun. It was surprising in tennis just what you could do, if you held the remote above your head and and hit foward lightly it would do a lob high in the air, similary swinging it sideways fast would do an equally brutal shot. It was quite funny doing a drop shot, the person i was playing against tried running towards the screen in attempt to hit it even though this doesnt actually help to do that. The other sport they had going was 10 pin bowling. Again this was good, you just had to swing the remote foward and release a button to let go of the ball, if you relased it too late it would just go high, hit the alley and roll slowly towards the end. But it was challenging, i only managed 1 spare and no strikes. On another unit they had Zelda going, so i tried out the fishing game in it (im not really a fan of adventure games so i didnt try the other part) Again, your motions translate well in this, you sort of whip the remote over your head to cast off, and when a fish comes near you wiggle the remote so the lure on the end attracts a fish. When it bites you then rapidly wind the nunchuck attachment connected to the remote around in a circular motion to reel in. Unforunatley this made the connector cord whip around a fair bit, maybe i should have held the remote further away. Lastly i had a go at WarioWare, for those not familiar with this game, basically you get these little 4 second 'microgames' thrown at you with short breaks in between, and the idea is to win as many as you can without stuffing up. This was my personal favourite just because of all the ways it made use of the remote. Some of them included holding the remote vertically and shifing a car into gear, holding the remote on your palm and then moving your hand to keep a broom balanced, shaking the remote to rid a banana of ants, holding the remote like a baton and then swinging your arms to make an athlete run towards the finish line, holding the remote like a pen and scribbling madly to make a biro start working, and holding the remote with both hands and pushing towards the screen to make someone fall over. So overall its a good system, its very innovating and Im looking foward to seeing to sort of things they can come up with to work with this control system.

I got to have a go on one up here at Myer in the Myer Centre Brisbane. Only got to play the tennis game, but it was something unique. I would have liked to try the Bowling game but did not have the time. For something that costs $400 it is well worth the money, not only is it fun but actually requiring physical activity is a great thing for computer games these days. Until I saw it I also did not realise how small it is. I already have a XBOX 360 and would considering getting a Wii too. But yeah, if you see one, make sure you take the time to go and have a try, don't knock it unless you have tried it. It is rather unusual at first, but playing a tennis game using real movements is somewhat better than just hitting buttons. Edit - If you want to try one for yourself, a list of locations and dates are available on http://wiievents.nintendo.com.au/

Edited by pin142

• 2 weeks later...

Just in case you dont know..a few places will be having a midnight sale for the Wii on the 6th of December.. Toys R Us at highpoint will be having it, here's the other stores: VIC / TAS e2games Time: 6pm – Midnight Activities: Giveaways through-out the night for best dressed. Food & drinks supplied EB Games Chadstone Time: 9pm – Midnight Activities: Play Wii, Dress-up competition and Wii Tennis Tournament plus giveaways JB Hi-Fi Melbourne City Game Mania Ringwood Time: 10pm – Midnight Tunzagames Shepparton Time: 10pm – Midnight Activites: Giveaways, game playing Toys R Us Chadstone, Frankston, Highpoint, Knox City & Northland EB Games Doncaster, Northland, Chadstone, Dandenong, Frankston Town, Southland, Airport West, Watergardens, Eastland, Ballarat, Fountain Gate, Northgate, Highpoint, Greensborough, Keysborough, Forest Hill, Knox, Eastland, Werribee Plaza, Chirnside Park, Richmond, Midvalley, Melbourne Central, Cranbourne, The Glen, Bendigo, Hobart, Camberwell, Epping Plaza, Elizabeth St, Karingal, Corio, Shepparton, Sunshine Market, Mildura, Launceston, Chapel Street, Waverley Gardens, Geelong, Hobart, Brimbank, The Pines, Rosebud, Brandon Park NSW / ACT The Gamesmen Penhurst, Penrith, Wollongong Toys R Us Bankstown, Campbelltown, Chatswood, Erina, Kotara, Hurstville, Miranda, Moore Park, Parramatta, Penrith, Belconnen EB Games Miranda, Tuggerah, Macarthur Square, Charlestown Square, Penrith Plaza, Macquarie Centre, Hurstville, Parramatta, Belconnen, Warringah, Kotara, Bankstown, Woden Plaza, Warrawong, Tuggeranong, Winston Hills, Chatswood, Liverpool, Castle Towers, Erina Fair, Burwood, Carlingford, Tweed Mall, Albury, Hornsby, Wetherill Park, Mt Druitt, Moore Park, Westpoint Black, Greenhills, Eastgardens, Canberra City, Roselands, Dubbo Orana Mall, Coffs Harbour, Sydney Centre, Wollongong, Bondi, Pt Maquarie, Bathurst, Rhodes Waterside, Orange, Warriewood, Bateau Bay, Tamworth, Galeries Victor, Cambelltown, Broadway, Nowra, Lismore, Jesmond, Shellharbour, Glendale, Tweed City, Goulburn, Marrickville, Ballina, Sylvania Waters, Woy Woy, Lavington, Chullora, Broken Hill, Taree QLD Toys R Us Asphley, Mt Gravatt, Pacific Fair, Townsville EB Games Garden City, Pacific Fair, Sunshine Plaza, Toowoomba, Tea Tree Plaza, Indooroopilly, Strathpine, Cairns, Townsville, Carindale, Chermside, Brown Plains, Morayfield, Mt Ommaney, Capalaba, Logan Hyperdome, Cairns Central, Rockhampton, Clifford Gardens, Brisbane City, Kawana, Castletown, Brookside, Sunnybank, Northlakes, Canelands, Bunderberg, Victoria Point, Taigum, Burleigh, Queens Plaza, Beenleigh, Robina, Helensvale, Australia Fair, Wynnum Plaza, Aspley, Stafford City, Peninsula Fair, Smithfield, Noosaville, Runaway Bud, Toowong, Mt Pleasant, Lutwyche SA In2Games Mt Gambier Time: 11:30pm onwards Activities: 10% off all games and peripherals, Wii, launching 12:01am 7/11/06 Toys R Us Noarlunga, Rundle Mall, Tea Tree EB Games Marion, Arndale, Golden Grove, Colonnades, Rundle Mall, Hollywood Plaza, West Lakes, Elizabeth, Parabanks NT EB Games Casuarina, Alice Springs

Edited by lisalila

Yep. I will be picking up my Wii at the midnight Pac Fair EB launch. Have preordered the Wii, Red Steel, Zelda, an additional nunchuck, additional remote/Wii Play pack, classic controller and 2000 points card. All completely paid for exact for the console. Will probably pick up a third game as well. What are you all getting at launch in terms of games/gear?

I don't even understand what it is. :S
The link in the 1st post in this thread is a good start. As for me, Im just getting the console, a Nunchuck and the Wii play/Controller bundle. I think Wii sports/ Will play will do me for now, im not really interested in Zelda, and WarioWare doesnt come out till January. Unfortunatley (Well not really considering) I have an interview for RMIT on the same day so hopefully they will hold one for me till I get back to shepparton that evening. I dont really want to go at midnight and be tired during the interview.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, after having a Wii for a couple of weeks now i thought i would post some, well thoughs. Overall its a very good machine, i have had no real problems with it (Except for accidentally putting it in 60Hz mode, and then not being able to use the pointer to put it back to 50Hz because the screen was severley distorted, i was able to feel my way to the reset console screen though, but this is something they should do a safeguard against). But id recommed it, it will be great when some more games come out for it, especially proper sports sims. But in the meantime there is enough to amuse buyers. First of all, the physical aspect of it is true, in your first day of use you will probably be stiff after, but it goes away and you can play it fine. Maybe its not so bad for me since i only really use it for an hour a day or so since thats enough for me) Also, its true about the potential for injuries. The wrist strap breaking thing is a load of bull, it would be interesting to take a strap into the lab and actually see what it can take. IMO i think what is happening is people are not using the strap, the accidentally letting go, and then breaking the strap after to save face. But in terms of the silly things i have done, i hit a ceiling fan trying to hit the ball high in tennis, and i hit an office chair playing baseball. Both these incidents happened at a mates place during an 18th (they talked me into going home and getting it since i live around the corner) so make sure you clear the way a bit and have adequate clearance. But there was no damage to me or the remote. As for the non gamer playabilty, its completely true, at the said 18th both my mates mother and a young cousin who looked to be about 7 were both able to pick up and play without any real explaination on how to play, and more importantly no "here you have it" out of exaspiration in not being able to do it. As for the games, I got Wii Sports, Wii Play and Rayman Raving Rabbids. I summed up tennis and Bowling above, but after having more time with bowling i was able to appreciate it more, and you can defintiely use things such as spin to your advantage. Boxing is a bit of a workout, so im actually trying to do a game or so a day just to see if it has any benefits. It doesnt seem as deep as the other sports though as there arent that many types of hit. Golf is quite good, people have said the controls are too touchy, but i havent found that to be the case. Putting in paticular has gotten some complaints, but if you hit it as hard as you would in real life then you avoid any problems. As for baseball, im still terrible at so lets not go there :P (How many times have i used the :P thing today, ill try and cut back....) Wii play is really just a program that builds your remote skills, but it doesnt come across in that way as they are still games and not boring "wiiducational" activites. Billiards was a decent game, though it has a tendency to go iffy when it actually comes time to shoot, i think the key is just to make sure the sensor bar is in line of sight to the remote lens and you dont have any problems. The duck hunt esque game is decent, and very competitive when you do 2 players, it also has a cool feature where you can weild two remotes so you can shoot in 2 places at once. Some of the games arent so great, table tennis for example basically involved only moving the paddle, its the pong of the 21st century. As for Rayman, it was OK, but I'd only rent it (I ended up trading it in, but since it was only a couple of weeks old i got a good amount back so it was like renting it anyway) While the shooting sequences were fun, too many of the games merley required you to simply move the remote and nunchuck alternatley as fast as you can. Think things like milking a cow, running fast to deliver a bomb, pumping a mine cart along, running up for a soccer penalty, tiptoeing through a prison but stopping at the right time and you can begin to see how it got repetitive and tiring to play, add to that there were "Part 2" versions of each game which were harder and maybe added a small extra thing (For example in the cow milking game the original one was just a mad shaking session, but the part 2 one was the same again except you had to aim at each bucket when you filled it to bring the next one over. Granted there were some good ones in there but it didnt really appeal to me, maybe others would like it more. As for those "channels", i have only used the photo and Mii channel as i havent got the thing online yet. The photo channel is a fairly good way of looking at your photos, and if you want to show others some stuff you took its really easy just to get the card out of your camera and stick it in the console. A funny thing i found is the puzzle mode where you use the remote to put one of your photos back together, whats even more funny is that its works with videos too, so if you feel like an imposible challenge where the picture you want to assemble is constantly changing this is it. Lastly, the Mii channel. Kids will probably like it more, but it is quite possible to make accurate people in there of all ages. Silly stuff is possible too, like emos and Picasso like creations. Below is one where i managed to get all the facial parts into an ant like figure. But this is probably enough for now, maybe Tony will post his thougts since he has one too.

post-88-1166677542_thumb.jpg

Wow, sounds great! Heh, I had to read through a few times until I realised what that picture was supposed to be. I'm definitely getting one this chrissy. I'll be getting Zelda and Wii Play along with a classic controller. I've sold my GameCube on eBay and surprisingly it went for $92. What game should I put the money towards? Hmmm, maybe they could make a Wii version of Thrillville and you pull the lap bar down and simple things like that... Just an idea... :P

Edited by WnW_Rocks