December 'ride'

GoGoBoy

According to a contact I have doing some work for Dreamworld, the Blue Lagoon area has had a concrete slab built over some of the pool area. He thinks this will be for the new ride in December. His guess is that it is going to be some sort of carnival-style ride and may not really be themed properly as the location is out of the way. I have my doubts that we would see a new ride by xmas but if we do I certainly hope it is something decent and not a carnival ride. It would also be a major step down for the park if they didn't end up theming and presenting it properly

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just heard some more info on this. Apparantley it is going to be some kind of dark ride. The slab is complete and is quite large and is ready for the building to be constructed on top of it which will house the attraction. Rumour has it that it could be scary. If this is true I'm glad to see DW finally investing in a real dark ride (besides Red Car) but again the timeframe they have left themselves is not very promising

This new news of the December attraction is starting to get me interested. However, if what Joz has said is right then Dreamworld have sunk to an all time low!! :angry: The Tombraider attraction was only a temporary haunted house ride. Maybe dreamworld is building the same thing but making it a full-time attraction in the Blue-Lagoon area. However, Dreamworld could of bought a brand spanking new darkride with all the high tech stuff in it. It could be a walkthrough, a boatride or a normal haunted house cars driven dark ride. Anyway, for a dark ride the possibilities are endless. I just want to know what this new attraction is - seems to be a good addition already!!! :D CoasterBoy6

If its going to be a dark ride, does anyone else think it could be the Prison Break attraction like at LPM? Putting that up in a short time frame would be easy, from what was shown on TV it is just a maze made from chain link fencing, but lit with strobes, plus the timeframe for the LPM one closing would enable this one to open in time.

Normally I'd be excited about something like this, however I really have come to expect so much less from Dreamworld of late. I think I'll be supporting Warner Village from now on...
I have to say I agree with this and I think a number of people are beginning to feel the same way. It is a bit worrying really. I think Dreamworld would be simply idiotic if they let their market lead begin to slip away. Now when I hear Village is building a new attraction I tend to think the possibilities are unlimited. However when I hear Dreamworld is building something new I instantly become pesimistic and think either animal attraction, temporary walk-thru or a cheap sideshow like Flowrider. They are going to have to pull their finger out soon and spend a bit of capital and it's going to need to be more than just another $1 million dollar attraction. And at the rate they are going they will soon need more than one multi-million dollar ride to put themselves back in front again Edited by GoGoBoy

The biggest problem for thrill seekers is the success that the park has had with Nickelodeon Central and Wiggles World. For a combined total of around $15 million, Dreamworld has managed to see attendance boosts that $50 million in thrill rides over the same period would not have created, simply because it created huge strength in Dreamworld's traditionally less-strong market segments. Remember that Macquarie Leisure plan to spend $6 million a year on capex. Capex doesn't include maintenance etc. (these are opex) - only new things. Last year we saw the $7 million Nickelodeon Central. This year we've only seen FlowRider ($1 million) and the Tea Cups (more or less negligible). Now granted there will be a chunk of this $6 million going to things we don't see or aren't rides (new F&B equipment, brand new maintenance eqipment etc.), but this year has been a very light year for Dreamworld, and WhiteWater World is irrelevant to this. FlowRider wasn't an attendance booster, it was a revenue booster. My only confusion with it is that it was introduced to Dreamworld instead of holding off and making it one of WhiteWater World's many signature attractions. Because it's not intended to boost attendance at Dreamworld, it would have been much smarter to open it with WWW where it could be a reason to visit the new park. Dreamworld will be adding a thrill ride of sorts in the near future, but not this December. We remember that they had reportedly signed a contract with Vekoma. Some sources suggest this is no longer the case but if it's not going ahead then it's because it was cancelled and replaced by another contract with one with another company. There will be something coming. At this stage my major concern with Dreamworld is the lack of longevity that goes into things. Sure, making everything brightly coloured will make the place seem fun and chirpy... for a year. Unless you're prepared to repaint it every year it's going to just look tacky before too long. Painted concrete pathways are great too and add some atmosphere... until people walk on them. We don't even need to get into Dreamworld's theming (but I will anyway) - great when the ride opens, not so good a few months on.

It is abit unfair that Dreamworld keeps coping crap. The place is obviously run down in places, but surely this can be expected. Our theme parks are luky to drawer the numbers that they are getting based on US attendance rates. We acheive in a good year 2 million visitors to Dreamworld in total, US parks can get that in just one season (approx 6 months of year, closed for winter). Topline would show that there operating costs could almost be 50% less then ours. this means more money for maintenance, elpoyees and RIDES. As well as theme parks that are designed for a specific target customer, the family, Thrillseeker, Toddlers etc. Imagine if Dreamworld went for the thrill market 100% all their money pumped into new epensive thrill rides? They would shrink their market share with Familys and negatively effect their attendance rates. They have successfuly pleased both customers using the current buisness model for years and are still making massive profits, why change all of that if it works. and as far as theming goes, as far as i am concerned as long as i get on it the ride and don't die i am fine with that (bring on 'Disaster transport'..... what a classic). i would rather them spend whatever money they can afford on theming, then let maintenance suffer by pulling funding. anyway i just though i should say that..

Welcome along. Great to see someone new contributing. (Now get ready for a good old debate. :)) Attendance at Dreamworld is only at about 1.4 million guests a year. Still a good few years away from the 2 million mark. Ignore what USA parks are doing. The conditions under which they operate are irrelevant to the year-round situation we have here. For one thing every seasonal park in the USA makes an outright loss for no less than 6 months of the year (many parks run at a loss towards the end of the operating season). Easy way to show that this is an irrelevant argument: Dreamworld's operating margin (total revenue minus total running costs to put it simply) is now at about 37%. This is considerably larger than equivalent chains around the world, including major operators like Cedar Fair and Six Flags. At the end of the day, dollar for dollar, Dreamworld is far more profitable than other parks around the world. This isn't a bad thing. They're a business after all, but profitability is clearly not a justification for shortcomings in the park. No one wants them to go 100% towards the thrill market. I don't believe anyone has said anything to this effect, and if they did I agree with you in that it's a ridiculous strategy. Perhaps you misinterpreted what I said - I don't consider myself a "thrill ride fan" so much as I do a "theme park fan". I don't think anyone suggested they spend more on theming. I know I'd like to see them spend less and concentrate on just making a good looking ride with a well designed station and surrounds (Reptar is one of the best examples of this in action). No one would ever suggest that they theme more at the expense of maintenance. While we're on maintenance, if we want to get into it, I am at times concerned by the park's maintenance. The clunks, creaks and rattles you hear and feel on many of Dreamworld's rides are simply things that shouldn't be there on these rides. Apparently even The Claw has deteriorated to the point where it is rattling and making noises it shouldn't. Cyclone was an incredibly smooth coaster when it opened.

I'm getting so sick of conversations similar to those above. Can we please stick to bloody topic? Normally I'd be excited about something like this, however I really have come to expect so much less from Dreamworld of late. I think I'll be supporting Warner Village from now on...
Give me DW anyday. Although i have an annual pass for MW my fav park is DW.

I don’t think it’s fair and reasonable to say we can expect Dreamworld to be “run down in places”. There is absolutely no excuse for not performing periodic maintenance on their attractions and general park themeing. Dreamworld does such a great job of the initial themeing for an attraction but then forgets about it altogether as they start thinking about their next major ride. I still believe their latest major attraction, The Claw, is a wonderfully themed ride. I only hope they keep refreshing it so it doesn’t begin to look tacky like many of their other rides. No themeing is better than ‘crap’ themeing. As for this new December ride, well, it does sound exciting. Dreamworld is lacking in the family department and it would be nice to see a fun ride that everyone can enjoy (instead of the silly little niche markets they are operating in at the moment). How big is the show building?

• 3 weeks later...

To update this thread: construction seems to have gone nowhere. It's still just a big concrete slab. They've only got two months until opening. What could it possibly be? I doubt they even have enough time to build a show building for any kind of indoor attraction.