Orphan Rocker

mickey_079

I think there are a combination of reasons. Funding being one of them I would assume. Also I think this is a first-time thing for the creators. Having nothing as a guide I guess would require more time. Could also be that it's not really a priority for them? I think there are some discussions on it somewhere in here...maybe you should do a search?

Hi. Yeah i googled :D Rumours are that it has been tested and the carriages have actually derailed and feel 200 metres to the bottom of the cliff, and also test dummies (sand bags) went around the circuit and when it returned there were a fair few bags missing. I think the owners are trying to cover it up because the owners daughter claims she has riden the ride many times and it is safe, and the only reason they havn't opened it is to fix bearings and that for the riders comfort. The owner also claims that all the rumours are NOT true and it has completed the circuit atleast 500 times safely. Go to google images and search Orphan rocker for more information www.smh.com.au/.../2006/01/28/1138319491227.html www.infobluemountains.net.au/rail/ksr/orphan.htm

Edited by mickey_079

When i went to Scenic World in 2002 or 2004, my sister and i were on the sceniscender, i didn't know that was called Orphan Rocker yet nor a rollercoaster. But my sister saw the Orphan Rocker from the Sceniscender and my sister asks the operator "What's that?(pointing at the Orphan Rocker)" The operator replys " That's a rollercoaster. We hope to get it open in 4 years" I started going (in my mind) "yes,yes,yes". So what I've heard it should open between 2006 & 2008.

Hopefully, you're right. It would be great to finally go there and get a chance to ride it. So there's nothing like it in the world right? Bring on another record for Scenic World! :P The sad thing is, they probably were just referring to four years time as a round-a-bout date. It is quite possible that it will not open then, but it's also possible that it will open early... anything's possible right guys? :P Let's hope it opens one day anway...

Nah the ride wont be open any time soon sorry, I know disapointing. The ride is still under construction, not so much the track work, but on the carriages. There has even been planes on dismantaling (not sure if thats how spell it) the ride as it as to unsafe to ride. Hopefully that also is a rumour. I just want to ride to open damn it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey. I sent some snail mail (lol havn't done that in a long time) anyway, when i got back from GC today I had a letter from the owner or whoever it is, he said, the orphan rocker wont be open by 2010 for reasons he is not allowed to tell me. He said the ride is completly safe and has completed many circuits safely. Thats all he would tell me, I really think something suspicious is going on with the ride.

Speaking to Scenic World yesterday I was informed that a meeting was to be held "in the next few months" to discuss the future of this attraction. I will be recieving an email from Scenic World in the next few months after the meeting is held with some information. Will keep everyone informed...

Hey. I sent some snail mail (lol havn't done that in a long time) anyway, when i got back from GC today I had a letter from the owner or whoever it is, he said, the orphan rocker wont be open by 2010 for reasons he is not allowed to tell me. He said the ride is completly safe and has completed many circuits safely. Thats all he would tell me, I really think something suspicious is going on with the ride.
What are the initials of the person who gave you that information in the letter?

AH?
Well they are the initials of the Site/Project Engineer who is Philip's daughter. I find it interesting that she has quoted you 2010 as this is her project and her schedule now is pretty much focusing on this project. Discussions will be had shortly regarding the feasability of getting this coaster operating. One of the many problems is the limited throughput of a 10 seater train and getting 10 on is hinged on 5 groups of couples (you sit between your fellow passengers legs). So a multi train block system with sidings and sheds would be required to increase the hourly rate to acceptable levels, this is not in place and would require a fair whack of capex. There is another option which they will consider, a total pull down and rebuild with a imported coaster.

One of the problems with just scrapping it is you give the local council the chance to not approve a replacement coaster and believe me they are not the easiest council to deal with. So there is the potential to do a "major refit" and then section by section replace the coaster with a new type.

Edited by djsupersleuth

• 6 years later...