Tower Of Terror

varekai

Ok well hi,its nearly time to pay my yearly visit to dreamworld! but i have never been on the towwer of terror,the only thing stopping me is the fact that people in my school have said things...i was wondering do they check your restraints or do they automatically come down or WHAT HAPPENS!!!!!!!

Im sorry but I really don't know who told you that. Everytime I have riden the TOT they have checked the restraints. But hey, there hydrolic and they shouldnt come undone... unless the rupture (not sure how to spell it) and then again... dont they have a manual release point? Not sure on that last part, if anyone could correct me then please do so.

Edited by mickey_079

Well what are the odds. When people are scared of rides they are scared they are going too get hurt but you have to think so many people have been on it and it is not dangerous or life threatening.. Pretty bad if it happens too you.

Edited by aidan

The probability of you being flung from the ride is essentially zero. It has never happened before. Many rides—I'm not sure if this includes the Tower of Terror or not—actually have sensors under the carriages/track that monitor whether or not the harnesses are sufficiently fitted and will not allow the ride to operate unless everything is secure. Many full circuit coasters (I'm thinking Scooby-Doo here) also have sensors placed throughout the ride which, in the event of a failing harness, will bring the ride to a hault. [The same sensor stations also check if all carriages are connected and that the trains are not exceeding a safe speed.] Be sure to update us on how the Tower of Terror goes. :)

The probability of you being flung from the ride is essentially zero. It has never happened before. Many rides—I'm not sure if this includes the Tower of Terror or not—actually have sensors under the carriages/track that monitor whether or not the harnesses are sufficiently fitted and will not allow the ride to operate unless everything is secure. Many full circuit coasters (I'm thinking Scooby-Doo here) also have sensors placed throughout the ride which, in the event of a failing harness, will bring the ride to a hault. [The same sensor stations also check if all carriages are connected and that the trains are not exceeding a safe speed.] Be sure to update us on how the Tower of Terror goes. :)
Question adam, if those sensors are on the scooby doo coaster and a harness does loosen or come undone some how... how does it stop the carriage... i thought all coasters basicially went off kinetic energy and the only way to stop them is brakes in the track, the cars arn't motorised... or are they in scooby doo coaster? Im sorry once again as I have lack of understanding these rides, I would really like to know this stuff properly.

Oh... does the Tower Of Terror ever have sensors!!! It checks the location of that Pod every milliseccond or so (unsure of the number exactly), and if the Pod is not in the right place at the right time you get the "Drive Trip"where it slows down at the launch, and has to be pulled back in. If the Pod's location is lost on the return trip or the power goes out, you get what is called a Emergency Brake (or E-brake) where it zooms through the station and goes into the "Bog Area" or Emergency Braking Zone. Once this happens, the Pod has to be winched out. In Regards to the question about Scooby Doo Spooky Coaster, The way that the system works is that there are sensors at various locations around the track, These sensors are often confused with the Green Box on the track (to dectect the car's location) But I think there is a black bar between the 2 sensors, that dectect the harness status. Now... before anyone chucks a spasm... I am not 100% on this, but I am fairly sure... someone feel free to correct me!

Edited by Spotty

What type of training to be a ride op? Grade 10. Nah j/k. Depending on the ride it can vary from a couple of hours to a few days of training, though generally one full day is all you need to be competent to operate a ride. I'm pretty sure Scooby is one of the more intensive rides and requires a couple of days plus some after hours stuff doing mock e-vacs from the high section.

It's possible to check harness status if the train is stationary using sensors in the track. In fact they are not actualy sensors they are physical electrical contacts with the train. Basically a strip of copper that connects with a busher on the underside of the train to complete a circuit. These differ for the 'green boxes' which are proximity detectors which can sense the train even when it is travelling at speed. In the even something is not right and the ride goes into e-stop then the train/car would be stopped at the next block, of which on scooby for example there are plenty. Bit of trivia, it takes over 100 PLC commands just to get one car through the course of Scooby.