Movieworld to get a stand up coaster?

I was @ MW today and a ride op who was operating LW was standing in the SE line. Anyway he was talking to this guy about the space shot. Saying it'll be faster than SE and 20m higher. He also said the MW's limit is 60m. While he was talking he said to this guy. "If we play our cards right we'll get a standup coaster in about 3 years. My eyes and ears lit up like a Christmas tree. EDIT : By the way big sis. Wish you were here. Tony i didn't go to Wnw today as the weather was crap. Will be going 2morrow as it's going to be 25. Hope your working 2morrow.

Edited by dreamworld_rulz

i dont think so. 1st ride ops dont know what the parks getting 3 years down the track and second even the park doesnt know a park will decide 1 to 1 and half years before, and this is because coaster manufactor always come up with different designs each year. But the 60metre for space shot is correct and makes me smile as last november i suggested that size over 180ft model to a important person at the company. Ian:)

Isn't 60 metres 180 ft or is that what you're saying? I'd would be nice to see a stand-up in the next few years but given the fact that they are mainly made up of inversions and not any airtime hills etc. I'd much rather see a new concept. C'mon Giant Ball Coaster! Anyway, only time will tell!

Not wanting to fan the fire of the rumour and forgetting the fact that it probably won't happen, it would be quite a viable option for Movieworld. It would be a major drawcard for the general public and coaster enthusiats alike as it would be something completely new for Australia, while at the same time taking another piece of the thrill market away from Dreamworld. Just a question. If you were the Director of Dreamworld and noticed that your direct competition were making inrodes into your market, would you strike back and try and re-gain your position as the leader of the thrill sector or would you go in a different direction?

You are all forgetting something, the ride op did not say they were getting a standup coaster, they said if MW play thier cards right they will get a standup coaster not are 100% for sure getting one in 3 or so years. Ride op's might not know what the park is getting but they can speculate and that is what that ride op was saying. Personally would like to see another inversion coaster at MW...I don't really care for air time but whatever MW get you can beat DW will try and better it so its great to have some competition for the parks.

• 1 month later...

Play their cards right??? What like if they are nice B&M might let them have one???? That whole line just makes no sense. Who was it you asked from Seaworld about them meeting safety standards? It is not uncommon for restraints to be modified to meet certain standards (hey just look at the new rockets) so I doubt that is what would be stopping us from getting one...

Play their cards right??? What like if they are nice B&M might let them have one????
Well, there is a bit of a waiting list for their rides.
That whole line just makes no sense. Who was it you asked from Seaworld about them meeting safety standards? It is not uncommon for restraints to be modified to meet certain standards (hey just look at the new rockets) so I doubt that is what would be stopping us from getting one...
Agreed, it seems silly the government would make a law about a ride that there is only a few of in the world.

Actually stand-up coasters belong to the least successful coaster types in the world. If you've ever ridden a stand-up coaster you will agree that it is fun but actually I always felt that it would have been better as a sit down. The stand up position SOUNDS great but actually is not THAT exciting as it is imagined. :blink:
I'd disagree. Riddler's Revenge was one of the most unique and enjoyable coasters I've ever been on. As we went down the "pre-drop" after the lifthill it dawned on me that I was standing 150ft in the air and about to head down a drop that twists almost horizontally. That's a pretty crazy feeling. In terms of marketability, the standup coaster is the most unique style of coaster an Australian park could get since Lethal Weapon. I'm not saying I'd necessarily want to see one over other styles of coasters, but building one would be a pretty good move if one of our parks were to go down that path.

Yeah I meant the looping part was when you like twist around the bottom of the drop and then go into the full loop. And if you're short enough you can sort of jump into the air just before it locks in and you are flying lol. But it hurts your crotch after a while.