Article: Village Theme Parks introduce new ticket options

Richard

It's great to see more choice hitting the Gold Coast. It'll be interesting to see how they price the Summer Pass. Many first-timers who visit the Gold Coast and want a bit of theme park action usually hit up the Super Pass, but I know a few returning vistors who think it's too expensive to go for another Super Pass if it hasn't been long since they were here. I think the Summer Pass—if it's reasonably priced (it'd have to be less than full admission into both parks)—will become quite popular. Any chance of them offering Super Annual passes? It sounds like Dreamworld are going to do this. It's certainly a great marketing tool for tourists who happen to have family living in Queensland (with passes).

A super yeah pass would be a pretty good idea, though difficult to price. I mean once you start getting into the $200 range people would probably start turning off the idea, and since the price is around the $150 mark that doesn't leave much to work with. As for when the new tickets come in, well as someone who has no idea, I'd like to put a hefty sum of money on December 1st being the date all the changes take place. It'll be interesting to see what happens to the price of the Super Pass, as the way it currently stands 2 weeks unlimited entry costs about $11 a day, which is a steal really. Plus I'll be keen to see if the if there's an option to add-on AOS, Paradise Country or helicopter flights to the ticket line-up.

Im hoping that these new ticket options relax some of the requirements too, one of my biggest gripes is the way you have to visit all parks before being able to park hop. But holidays are random, and you might not feel like doing things their way. For example, when i was up early this year i had to go to SW, then MW, then WnW. But IMO it would have been more logical to do 2 days in a row at MW (With WnW each night) then SW, but the conditions didnt allow this. And what about if you had gone to SW and MW already, but the weather was bad so you wanted to go back to MW instead of WnW. Of course, you can get around this by just turning up at a park and leaving right away until you had done all 3....except that the parks need a car between them and its just a waste of time. If they just opened it up a bit and let you do things your way the pass would be better.

I think if a three-park annual pass was priced at say $200 it'd be a very attractive offer to a lot of people. I think a lot of people would go for it because they're already spending $150, what's an extra $50 for three times the amount of entertainment? It'd also cut directly into Dreamworld AP sales (regardless of whether or not they offer a two-park AP) because it's significantly more expensive than the WVTP passes. Call it a Gold Pass or a Platinum Pass as Busch Gardens do so it sounds like you're getting something better. One thing that would be vital is giving guests a decent food and merchandise discount to encourage spending while they're there to discourage the whole "drop the kids off before work with two sandwiches daycare centre" situation. Dreamworld have been onto this for years, yet WVTP seem reluctant to go this way, yet it must be an excellent way to drive in-park spending, which is absolutely vital for annual passes. They have huge margins on the food so it's not like they can't do it. Just think if they made large softdrink refills half price for pass holders. Softdrink costs virtually nothing for them, yet every regular would get one or more during the day if it were only say $2 instead of whatever they charge these days. Initially the 14 day passes were introduced as a test over a holiday period a few years back. It was understandable then why they had keep it so you had to visit all three parks before going back so as to not have to introduce anything new for what was just a trial. Why they kept the policy going when it was made permanent is anyone's guess.

The food/merch discount is one thing that annoys me about MW, you pay so much for an annual pass and than you gotta pay full price for food/drinks and merch if you want it and if you have a big group than it does hurt the pocket more. I love Dreamworld's 15% discount, it makes you buy more..especially the drinks and when it's really hot you drink more so that does add up too. When I was at Dream in Jan there was 7 of us and lunch cost us almost $80 so that 15% really helped save money.

LOL... I suppose I should tell you this story... I was lining up for TOT a few months ago, and I snavelled a Front seat ride and I was sitting next to 2 American people, And I got to know them a bit, thn I found out there was about 20 of them, and they asked me to show them around the park. At around lunchtime, they asked where to go for lunch, so we ended up going to billabong buffet, For 20 of us with the discount, it cost them 300 dollars, so I saved them $80 for lunch, so for that they shouted me lunch, and a drink, I also brought all there things for them with the discount, I then later found out that they were over here for some olympic thing. Lets just say... the peanut butter sandwiches didn't get eaten that day...

Im hoping that these new ticket options relax some of the requirements too, one of my biggest gripes is the way you have to visit all parks before being able to park hop. But holidays are random, and you might not feel like doing things their way. For example, when i was up early this year i had to go to SW, then MW, then WnW. But IMO it would have been more logical to do 2 days in a row at MW (With WnW each night) then SW, but the conditions didnt allow this. And what about if you had gone to SW and MW already, but the weather was bad so you wanted to go back to MW instead of WnW. Of course, you can get around this by just turning up at a park and leaving right away until you had done all 3....except that the parks need a car between them and its just a waste of time. If they just opened it up a bit and let you do things your way the pass would be better.
I was looking on the Movieworld site tonight and it doesn't mention anywhere in the conditions that you now have to visit all 3 parks before being able to use the unlimited pass. Below is what it says on the site for when purchasing the super pass. FROM MOVIEWORLD WEBSITE Super Pass YOUR ULTIMATE THEME PARK PASS! The Super Pass gives you unlimited entry for 14 days to Warner Bros. Movie World, Sea World and Wet'n'Wild Water World all year round. Visit any park, any day as many times as you like for 14 days. Ticket valid for 14 days from first park visit. Photo ID required on entry on each visit. Tickets are non-refundable and non-transferable once first entry has been used. Also I see nothing in the terms and conditions that suggest that you need to visit all 3 parks before you can return to any. Below is another screen grab that I have found on Flybuys, for if you want to use your flybuys points to purchase a Super Pass. FROM FLYBUYS WEBSITE Imagine getting UNLIMITED entry to the Gold Coast's Greatest Theme Parks for up to 14 days... you can with the Unlimited 3 Park Super Pass now offering unlimited entry to Warner Bros. Movie World, Sea World and Wet'n'Wild Water World for up to 14 days! The Unlimited 3 Park Super Pass is your ticket to the best and most exciting entertainment, rides, shows and attractions at the Gold Coast’'s Greatest Theme Parks. Visit ANY PARK, ANY DAY in ANY ORDER for up to 14 days. For Example: should you choose to visit Warner Bros Movie World for 14 consecutive days... you can! The 14 day period commences from the first entry to the first park. Tickets are non-refundable and non-transferable once first entry has been used. Some seasonal entry conditions apply. I do remember years ago having to visit all 3 parks before returning but maybe now they have already removed that policy. Edited by cheesy