Lethal Weapon area

mattcrombie

The LW pre-show was doomed from the day it first opened. I was in the original LW opening crew & remember on opening day, I had to get up in front of a bunch of Aussie media and celebs and deliver this dreadful speech about being a stuntman at it being an artform.. Was pretty embarressing :o Now the original idea (prior to the budget cuts) was you entered the LAPD and Riggs (Gibson) would appear up on screen telling his new recruits (the guests) the baddies had ecaped down town and needed the new recruits to come on a car chase with him. The film that plays was the original that was meant to be cut on a seperate screen and the very last scene was meant to see the BMW come flying through the wall of the LAPD (which later some how turned into a theatre??) With smoke and other effects, you would escape through the wall of the theatre where you would board your squad car to go chase the bad guys (hence why the trains are mainly Black & white to resemble a police car) The ride itself was originally said to feature plumes of smoke and fire as well as a Car that would flip over the coaster in flames at the end of the ride. The LW pursuit ride at MW Germany managed to pull off some of these fx but ironically that ride is now planned to be torn down! I guess it was a little disappointing to see how LW turn out the way it did given there was so much more planned however I think they also realised adding show scenes to a ride that goes so fast had little point. Who would notice all of these fx going on as you wizzed around the track (other than the guests watching below?)

I would have settled for just a preshow that made any sense or was remotely related to the ride experience. Throwing in a spiel about stunt driving didn't justify the agonising three minute clip, nor did it give the ride any meaning. Everyone who queued for the ride knew what they were in for. On their first ride they're too eager for the actual ride to want to sit through a clip like that, and anyone who's already ridden it has seen it already. Same goes with Wild West Falls' preride video, it had absolutely no bearing on the ride. At least it was somewhat watchable and interesting unlike Lethal Weapon's. I suspect the key reason it was removed was it cut out 1-2 of the required staff members. Mickey, the preride you're explaining sounds like it would have been great. Leave out the ride FX because these would be too difficult to integrate properly as you said, but the idea of creating some interaction between the Lethal Weapon storyline and the guests would have been great and actually serve some purpose to improve the ride. Remember the old Special Effects show how each segment featured some notable celebrity (Mel Gibson among others) introducing the segment. Shame they seem to have lost their star-drawing power after the park opened.

The pre show movie bit on WWF got a bit annoying.
What was the pre-show? All I remember is watching Will Smith's music video for Wild Wild West in the queue line. :blink:
The ride itself was originally said to feature plumes of smoke and fire as well as a Car that would flip over the coaster in flames at the end of the ride.
How would they have pulled that off? :P No offence, I mean, there probably was talk of it, but was it just a rumour? Edited by Swanny

I remember when i 1st went to MW in Oct 99. I had to watch the LW movie which was good the 1st time but when you keep on watching it it gets boring. I like the way you line up now. It gives you the chance to grab the front row. If you want to wait. I never seen the WWF pre show the only thing i see is a video/dvd going near the exit.

Last time I went that effect wasn't working which is a bit of a shame really.. I was really disappointed with how they have "DeFurbished" the final lift scene with the Sparkers (now there is nothing) and no explosion at the top. MW is obviously ensured for such things as Fire, so I can't understand why the money wasn't spent on restoring the show to at least it's original Quality?

On their first ride they're too eager for the actual ride to want to sit through a clip like that
When I first went on LW I was sitting watching the movie trying to convince myself the ride was safe and I couldn't fall out of the harness, my brother wouldn't even let me watch the ride before hand and going up the lift hill I was pressing my harness down to make sure it was locked in properly. Definately wasn't eager to ride it for the first time.

Ok ok. The housing area someone asked about is right next to WWF, have a look next time your on the tower for the MACH V.... or take a helicopter flight, they take you over it. Now, the LW still does the show the movie, its just up to you if you wish to watch it. The LW now runs 2 trains all the time (as the operator told me) and since the S.E the maximum que time for it is only 30 minutes on a busy day. There is a movie when you que for WWF, its some old black and white one, and once again, if you want to stay there and watch it... go for it, no one is stopping you. And even if the que for WWF is long... you get on the ride pretty quick as it is high capacity.

When I first went on LW I was sitting watching the movie trying to convince myself the ride was safe and I couldn't fall out of the harness, my brother wouldn't even let me watch the ride before hand and going up the lift hill I was pressing my harness down to make sure it was locked in properly. Definately wasn't eager to ride it for the first time.
Well I guess it varies upon different people.