Batwing Time

Swanny

Just having a quick look at Batwing-Spaceshot on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batwing_Spaceshot) . It said that the ride would take 5o seconds. I'm assuming this could only mean the ride time, and I find it hard to think that being shot up and then faling wouldn't take 50 seconds. Could there be something beforehand? Or it could just be silly editing by someone. Oh, and apoligies about the title, I meant to write batwing :P.

Edited by Swanny

I'd say whoever put up the information on Wikipedia got it from our database entry for Batwing. This information is based on S&S's official statistics for this ride. It's not as simple as shooting up and then falling back down. From dispatch there is a small amount of time as the gondola slowly creeps up a few feet into position to prepare for the launch (they don't launch from ground level). From here you do one big launch that takes you to the top of the tower and then back down to about 1/3 of the way up. Then you do another smaller launch that shoots you to up to nearly the top and so on until the thing runs out of energy. From here you slowly lower back to ground level. It's very much like a bungee kind of experience. No worries on the title. It's easy to edit your own post to fix things like that, or wait until a moderator sees it and fixes it up (I've corrected it for you).

It's not as simple as shooting up and then falling back down. From dispatch there is a small amount of time as the gondola slowly creeps up a few feet into position to prepare for the launch
I believe this is the time that the PLC "weighs in" the gondola to measure the required pressure to apply to the launch cylinders, just to give you that perfect height ride and no more.

I believe this is the time that the PLC "weighs in" the gondola to measure the required pressure to apply to the launch cylinders
Yeah that's correct. No different really from how most sled-launched coasters creep back after engaging so that the ride can monitor the weight of the train to put the right amount oomph into the launch. On a similar note, one thing which I don't think a lot of people know is that Space Shots aren't as simple as just shooting the gondola up and then having it fall down to do it again. I think perhaps the way they work in RCT has caused them to be perceived this way. The gondola is fixed to a cable loop and every motion is completely controlled by air pressure, both upwards and downwards. What makes these rides more exciting than a regular freefall ride such as Giant Drop is the fact that at the start of the launch downwards, you accelerate faster than gravity which lifts you right out of your seat like particularly extreme airtime, much like that on Superman Escape, as opposed to a freefall's gentle floating sensation.

Wow, that sounds Great :). Yes, I was given an impression by RCT about the way spaceshots work :P.
Have you ever increased the speed of the Spaceshot on RCT and watched it fly off the top of the ride crashing to the ground? Has anyone heard of this ever happening in real life? Edited by cheesy

Have you ever increased the speed of the Spaceshot on RCT and watched it fly off the top of the ride crashing to the ground? Has anyone heard of this ever happening in real life?
:D Yes I have done this before, i sure hope it wouldn't happen in real life :unsure: . But as Richard said the gondola is fixed to a cable.

Do you mean the top hat? The opening date better not be bought back again! Oh I remember someone saying, it should be ready September, the... ohh i wont say it. Yeah, 60 metres is still pretty high, you gotta remember, these things cant go that high. Isn't it nearly the same height as the Space Probe?

Yeah, definately for a Space Shot. Maliboomer at DCA isn't that high. At DCA they have these plastic screens that go over your head. I don't know what they are for (I suspect incase of someone spewing and it going all over you) lol. Can anyone explain and will Batwing unfortunately have these? MaliboomerAttrLowBand.jpg

Edited by myk

Those are scream shields that Disney were required to install due to close residents. I don't expect Movie World will have to install them because Batwing is far enough away from the nearby residents that it shouldn't require them. Wild West Falls is the only ride in the park which has noise shielding (the wall down the left side of the final drop), and this is because the ride is quite close to the local residents. If Superman Escape got away without any noise complaints, Batwing will be fine. At Disney's California Adventure they detract quite a bit from the ride, so I'd hope they're not installed here.