Ticket Price Hike

myk

I was reading the RACQ website which you are able to get themepark ticket discounts from. I noticed that from November the price hike for a Max Action Pass will be 15 dollars from 170 to 185. I really think this is way too expensive as there is no need for Dreamworld to increase costs this much - they have no new rides or attractions besides whatever is going in behind the back which doesn't look big at all. Also, in retrospect, what does this mean for Whitewater World? Seriously, Wet'n'Wild prices are only rising by 2 dollars whilst Whitewater World sits on the 44 dollar mark for the first year? And it is half the size of Wet'n'Wild? I think Dreamworld need to lower their prices... What are your opinions on this?

Dude even at $185 for a yearly pass that only equates to $3.55 per week. Assuming that you visited the park about 10 times in that year, your average entry price would still be below 20 bucks! Pretty cheap if you look at it that way. Prices unfortunately are only ever going to go up. Its just the way of the world. In about 12 months it will go up again anyway so you would be better off buying your pass now.

Edited by dr_teeth

I live in Melbourne so i visit the GC every 3-4 months. I stay 4 nites. I buy the DW pass coz it saves me money on food & drinks. I get a MW pass coz i can't be bothered paying cash all the time. It also allowes me to go park hopping. I usually go to DW in the morn then MW in the arvo b4 getting the bus back to Surfers.

I really don't understand how they can sustain their excessively priced annual passes up against the far more realistically priced passes at WVTP's properties. As Dreamworld's collection of rides and attractions continue to become more dated, it's interesting that they're still able to charge a good $20 on the competition while at a park such as Movie World we see cutting edge rides, better operations and better food & beverage options for cheaper. I personally don't think $185 represents good value at all. This is $20 more than Disneyland's most basic annual pass and it gives access to two parks which are worlds above Dreamworld in terms of quality and quantity! I paid only around $150 for my Universal Studios Hollywood and Six Flags season passes put together. Dreamworld has a 40% greater operating margin than the Cedar Fair chain in the USA. I know their pricing is sounding less and less reasonable to me... We'll quickly see them price themselves out of the market if we see this kind of increase keep up. WVTP with their cheaper prices and better parks look set to be taking Dreamworld's previous stronghold on the annual pass market.

EXACTLY richard! I mean I know it still is cheap but they haven't got anything NEW, I don't know why they need to increase the price when the park is the same as it was 2 years ago.. Operating costs may have increased but this is just a small margin in comparison to other things. Definately not worth a $15 rise when WVTP are increasing their rides WHICH may I say is what everyone goes to themeparks for, therefore increasing their sales of all aspects including food and merchandise.

Has anyone thought that they might be trying to get the money back for www from annual pass holders? or maybe they are planning a new ride for 2007/8. Personally don't see anything wrong with the $15 hike, as long as people continue to buy them at these "high prices" than they'll just keep going up; if less people purchased them than they might actually put them back down but the map is very popular these days.

I have. For about a millisecond (LOL! @rOfL!). Dreamworld and WhiteWater World are two separate entities. Any decision to increase Dreamworld's ticket prices isn't fuelled by the desire to fund WhiteWater World. The only thing they share is ownership by the same investment company. Adding new attractions is normal everyday business for a theme park. They do not need to raise capital to do this. It's what they do every year. It's not a surprise. It's budgeted and expected.

I have. For about a millisecond (LOL! @rOfL!). Dreamworld and WhiteWater World are two separate entities. Any decision to increase Dreamworld's ticket prices isn't fuelled by the desire to fund WhiteWater World. The only thing they share is ownership by the same investment company. Adding new attractions is normal everyday business for a theme park. They do not need to raise capital to do this. It's what they do every year. It's not a surprise. It's budgeted and expected.
exactly. I put an extra $10 away coz i knew it would go up but i wasn't 100% sure by how much.

I'm very interested to know why Dreamworld continues to be the most popular park no matter what. I personally think it comes down to 2 things - 1. The fact that Aussies prefer big simple rides that chuck you around as opposed to immersive theming and quality 2. The (scary) power of television in the form of Big Brother

I'm very interested to know why Dreamworld continues to be the most popular park no matter what. I personally think it comes down to 2 things - 1. The fact that Aussies prefer big simple rides that chuck you around as opposed to immersive theming and quality 2. The (scary) power of television in the form of Big Brother
I like DW coz it has more rides. It also takes longer to do the rides. Although i'm a huge BB fan DW has always been my preference.

I like DW over MW for two reasons: more rides and it doesn't take just 2 hours to do the whole park. I wish BB was over and done with, everytime we go to DW my brother HAS to either visit the house (if its open) or go to the BB Shop even though he's been there a billion times before.

*shrugs* well since I'm just a theme park visitor and not a theme park obsesser the thought crossed my mind but if you say so. Edited by lisalila

It doesnt take 2 hours to movie world! You must just rush the whole time your there, gee... have some time to take in the atmosphere, relax, last time i went to movie world, it took longer than 2 hours to do everything, and i didnt get time to do the batman ride, and it wasnt even a busy day. I only watched one show, the police academy, and i returned to MW in 2 days to enjoy the park again. Personally, i prefer movieworld, why you ask? THEMING! the theming gives the place a great feeling, and they make you feel like your the star in your own movie... anyway, yeah i agree, prices are a bit ridiculous.

It doesnt take 2 hours to movie world! You must just rush the whole time your there, gee... have some time to take in the atmosphere, relax, last time i went to movie world, it took longer than 2 hours to do everything, and i didnt get time to do the batman ride, and it wasnt even a busy day. I only watched one show, the police academy, and i returned to MW in 2 days to enjoy the park again. Personally, i prefer movieworld, why you ask? THEMING! the theming gives the place a great feeling, and they make you feel like your the star in your own movie... anyway, yeah i agree, prices are a bit ridiculous.
This is one of the main reasons why I like MW best as well, they do theming extremely well. It makes the rides more enjoyable and intense as well. I think it's bad prices are going up, but they aren't going up in a ridiculously large fashion Edited by Swanny

It doesnt take 2 hours to movie world! You must just rush the whole time your there, gee... have some time to take in the atmosphere, relax, last time i went to movie world, it took longer than 2 hours to do everything, and i didnt get time to do the batman ride, and it wasnt even a busy day. I only watched one show, the police academy, and i returned to MW in 2 days to enjoy the park again. Personally, i prefer movieworld, why you ask? THEMING! the theming gives the place a great feeling, and they make you feel like your the star in your own movie...
See that's where we differ...I go there for the rides, I dont care about themeing and please Police stunt show? it's the SAME show the whole time..seen it once you've seen it before. We usually duck over to Dreamworld at around 1ish if we get bored at MW. I dont care for themeing, I dont care to "take in the atmosphere" and such...I dont just run around to the rides either, I do sit down, relax, eat, go and drool over the chocolate that I'm not allowed to have, go into looney tune land but on a good day it takes roughly 2 hours to do the whole park (except batman cause I dont like that ride). I'm also a pass holder so I go there on average every 3-6 months, nothing has been added since SE and I went on that in January and June this year so.. Edited by lisalila

The point is that Dreamworld has no reason to increase prices. What is new there for guests to enjoy? Nothing! And not to mention the 2 week closures of The Giant Drop, and Wipeout which are scheduled to occur in the next month. How are you supposed to enjoy the Big 5 Thrill Rides if there's only 4 operating? I know this is probably scheduled maintenance but they could put it further back in the year and not so close to School Holidays!

The point is that Dreamworld has no reason to increase prices. What is new there for guests to enjoy? Nothing! And not to mention the 2 week closures of The Giant Drop, and Wipeout which are scheduled to occur in the next month. How are you supposed to enjoy the Big 5 Thrill Rides if there's only 4 operating? I know this is probably scheduled maintenance but they could put it further back in the year and not so close to School Holidays!
Ride and Attraction Maintenance The following rides and attractions will be closed for scheduled maintenance: Wipe Out, Ocean Parade Date closed: 16th October - 7th November 2006 Dora the Explorer Sea Planes, Nick Central Date closed: 08th - 11th November 2006 The Giant Drop, Rocky Hollow Date closed: 13th November - 05 December 2006 According to my calendar ACT hols start on 22nd Dec NSW 22nd Dec NT 16th Dec QLD 16th Dec SA 16th Dec TAS 21st Dec VIC 22nd Dec WA 8th Dec I'd rather the rides get their Maintenance just before the holidays instead of during them. Edited by dreamworld_rulz

Good they arent closing wipeout while I'm up there! I also agree that I'd rather have them close it before the hols than during..it's packed enough as it is with the big 5 thrill rides going..dont need ride closures during the hol's to make it worse.

Edited by lisalila

They may need longer than that - When I had my annual pass in 2004 they were closed for 3 extra days. Also I said not so close to school holidays - people do take last weeks of school off and Private schools in QLD finish 2 weeks earlier than other schools so we are going away for those 2 weeks

but arn't they also getting new rides? the new roller coaster, and the new ride that is supposed to be built at blue lagoon before the end of 2006, someone mentioned before that they dont bump prices up after or before new rides because its an ev everyday thing. I'm very curious as to why they are doing this.

They may need longer than that - When I had my annual pass in 2004 they were closed for 3 extra days. Also I said not so close to school holidays - people do take last weeks of school off and Private schools in QLD finish 2 weeks earlier than other schools so we are going away for those 2 weeks
So do the parks go on QLD Hol's or do they calculate the whole holiday's for each state and than decide when the "school holiday period" start from that?

Yeah I don't know Lisa lol. Probably. Whatever it doesn't matter about the maintenance. The point is Dreamworld tickets are already really expensive and without any major new rides besides that Rosy Teacup thing, there is no point in raising the price.

The parks operate at peak certainly for the east-coast holiday periods. If you're going to be taking a week off school etc., expect it to not be very different. They always do maintenance at this time of year because they want the rides operating without a hitch because for the next two months or so it's non-stop. I find it interesting that no one seems to mind that the Dreamworld pass is actually more expensive than a Disneyland/Disney's California Adventure annual pass.

The parks operate at peak certainly for the east-coast holiday periods. If you're going to be taking a week off school etc., expect it to not be very different. They always do maintenance at this time of year because they want the rides operating without a hitch because for the next two months or so it's non-stop. I find it interesting that no one seems to mind that the Dreamworld pass is actually more expensive than a Disneyland/Disney's California Adventure annual pass.
Yeah but they have a higher revenue. It's like Melbourne & Sydney's public transport. You can travel to the Blue Mountains which is 2 hrs away for $2.50 (child/pensioner) But in Melbourne if you want to travel to Geelong which is an hr away it's nearly $10 or Ballarat 90 mins away $15. Sydney is cheaper coz it has a higher revenue.